GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Macan Vs TTS callipers

DAS_STIG

Banned
Awww F******!!!!!:mad:

Just realised my bloody computer calculator was square rooting the fecking thing & not doing Pi!!….

Wish I could find my old Uni calculator which I used for Structural engineering studies!!...:mad::mad:

As pistons each side compared to one side, you need to double check you have the same volume of fluid to move so you hope that the two side moving half the distance of a single side will add up...:cool:

EDIT:_
Kicked the computer programme...

57mm piston is 2,551.75mm area.....
60mm is 2,827.43mm of area...

3.0lt rears at 2 x 42 pistons is 2 pistons at 1,385.44mm each or 2,770.88mm total....

PS & thanks for pointing it out...total face palm....on my part...I should know better than to trust the computer 100%!!....

It happens. I understand the volume of fluid, but you are only moving a fixed caliper piston half the distance of a floating caliper. So the math would be multiply by 2 for two sides of pistons, then divide by 2 for half the distance. This is the same as just calculating area/volume of one side of a fixed caliper.

I'm not quite sure how you got the 3.0T number for four pistons but in the end we match up.

Is the PP a single 57mm floating piston?

And talking about the Porsche caliper, are we talking about the 4 piston fixed from the front of the Macan or rear of the Cayenne?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
i glad you guys are smarter than i am!!
thanks for this info

This is just basics.....mind you I have forgotten loads of complex surveying & structural calcs that I knew of the back of hand...

It happens. I understand the volume of fluid, but you are only moving a fixed caliper piston half the distance of a floating caliper. So the math would be multiply by 2 for two sides of pistons, then divide by 2 for half the distance. This is the same as just calculating area/volume of one side of a fixed caliper.

I'm not quite sure how you got the 3.0T number for four pistons but in the end we match up.

I was mainly stating the calc for two 42mm dia pistons...but yes its (R x R) x Pi =..then x2 as two pistons..

Is the PP a single 57mm floating piston?

And talking about the Porsche caliper, are we talking about the 4 piston fixed from the front of the Macan or rear of the Cayenne?

54mm, 57mm, 60mm are all single floating, sliding fist calipers….

& The Porsche 3lt is the rear as they are not staggered piston, ie the pistons are all the same size....

what we haven't discussed is the Audi TTS 4 pots which are a straight bolt on as designed for MQB platform....but have no pad removal slots...

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
& The Porsche 3lt is the rear as they are not staggered piston, ie the pistons are all the same size....

what we haven't discussed is the Audi TTS 4 pots which are a straight bolt on as designed for MQB platform....but have no pad removal slots...

So if I'm understanding all this, TTS Fronts or Macan S Rears are a direct bolt on for the PP/R brakes, requiring only different lines.

Meaning color, price, and slots to remove the pads on the Porsche calipers are the primary differences.

Do I have that correct?

J Peterman

Go Kart Champion
If I’m not mistaken, the Porsche Macan FRONT calipers are what people who have this kit installed are using (and the listed part #’s confirm that)...with L & R reversed (so bleeders point up), as they are trailing fronts on the Porsche, but leading fronts on VW/Audi

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
So if I'm understanding all this, TTS Fronts or Macan S Rears are a direct bolt on for the PP/R brakes, requiring only different lines.

Meaning color, price, and slots to remove the pads on the Porsche calipers are the primary differences.

Do I have that correct?

pretty much.....

the Macan is a two piece caliper riveted/bolted together & made by Brembo..the TTS is a single piece caliper made by ATE.

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
If I’m not mistaken, the Porsche Macan FRONT calipers are what people who have this kit installed are using (and the listed part #’s confirm that)...with L & R reversed (so bleeders point up), as they are trailing fronts on the Porsche, but leading fronts on VW/Audi

Yeah, on page 1 there are part numbers for the Macan fronts, then when piston diameter started being discussed it was noted Rears, hence my confusion :p

But what I'm seeing people purchasing in this thread, and what the title implies is, we're talking about the Macan S calipers that are direct bolt on. So maybe I'm confused or maybe you're confused?

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
But what I'm seeing people purchasing in this thread, and what the title implies is, we're talking about the Macan S calipers that are direct bolt on. So maybe I'm confused or maybe you're confused?

I'm definitely confused lol. GolfDave says Rears, LBmk7r references Fronts.

One thing I'm at least clear on, Macan S = 3.0

Awww F******!!!!!:mad:

Just realised my bloody computer calculator was square rooting the fecking thing & not doing Pi!!….

Wish I could find my old Uni calculator which I used for Structural engineering studies!!...:mad::mad:

As pistons each side compared to one side, you need to double check you have the same volume of fluid to move so you hope that the two side moving half the distance of a single side will add up...:cool:

EDIT:_
Kicked the computer programme...

57mm piston is 2,551.75mm area.....
60mm is 2,827.43mm of area...

3.0lt rears at 2 x 42 pistons is 2 pistons at 1,385.44mm each or 2,770.88mm total....

PS & thanks for pointing it out...total face palm....on my part...I should know better than to trust the computer 100%!!....

Macan BASE model (2.0L & 3.0L variants), FRONT caliper. - part # 95B-615-123-F / 95B-615-124-F
or
Q5 3.0 model, FRONT caliper. part # 8R0 615 107 G / 8R0 615 108 G

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I'm definitely confused lol. GolfDave says Rears, LBmk7r references Fronts.

One thing I'm at least clear on, Macan S = 3.0

I'm thought they were talking about rears...

it looks like the Audi Q5 in TDI & 3lt have 345mm discs with Brembo 4 pot calipers on front..

also in Porsche Macan part number in black colour

95B-615-123-F
95B-615-124-F

There is also the "other" Porsche calliper swap with uses the rear calipers of a Cayenne and Audi Q7...

its very confusing...……...:confused::confused:…...

Th3KAS

Are there any drawbacks or risks when swapping calipers left to right like this? I get that it’s required to run them like that in our application, just wondering if that could cause any issues or if it isn’t a big deal.

DAS_STIG

Banned
Are there any drawbacks or risks when swapping calipers left to right like this? I get that it’s required to run them like that in our application, just wondering if that could cause any issues or if it isn’t a big deal.

Only if piston size is staggered. Otherwise should be fine.

J Peterman

Go Kart Champion
Golf Dave’s last post (#56) is correct. Porsche Macan base model/Audi Q5 TDI FRONT 4 pot Brembo calipers with 4x42mm pistons, Porsche part numbers as he listed, along with 340x30mm (R/PP) rotors, TTRS or Porsche brake lines, and Q5/Macan or STI brake pads is the setup that is apparently bolt on for the Mk7/7.5 Golf/GTI/R models.