GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Macan Vs TTS callipers

J Peterman

Go Kart Champion
Part number listed in the other thread for the Porsche hoses, not sure if SS or rubber however:

95b611701d

That caliper bolt link I posted was for aluminum knuckles.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
PN for the Macan brake lines is 95B-611-701-E

The bolt you posted is the stock caliper bolt on aluminum knuckles so why would we need to change it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Does anyone have piston diameter measurements for these calipers? Want to see how they compare to the TTS etc.

DAS_STIG

Banned
Does anyone have piston diameter measurements for these calipers? Want to see how they compare to the TTS etc.

I realized I might have done this wrong. I do not believe you have to consider both sides of a fixed caliper in this equation since the pistons in a fixed caliper would travel half the distance of the floating caliper when the brake pedal is depressed. So the math should have been:

non-PP = 3.14 * (54mm / 2) ^ 2 = 2290 mm^2

PP = 3.14 * (57mm / 2) ^ 2 = 2550 mm^2

3.0L = 2 * 3.14 * (42mm / 2) ^ 2 = 2770 mm^2

TTRS = 3.14 * [(40mm / 2) ^ 2 + (44mm / 2) ^ 2] = 2775 mm^2

So looks like the 3.0L Q5 and TTRS are very similar and actually as far away from the PP as the non-PP ones are. The Q5 brakes being non-staggered piston sizing would also allow for the left/right calipers to be flipped to correct for the rearward of rotor vs front caliper mounting between the Q5/GTI.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=820839&postcount=40

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

DAS_STIG

Banned
The PP/R/CCS all have a 60mm diameter piston....(27,000mm area)

The 312mm GTI/GTD/DCC have a 57mm piston....(23,149mm area)

The standard USA 288mmm discs have a 54mm piston..but the Europe ones have a 57mm piston..

You are correct. I'd only seen 54 and 57mm referenced for non-PP and PP elsewhere on the site, but I went and measured the non-PP I took of my car and it's definitely 57mm piston diameter. So that makes the Macan piston area the same as PP.

Th3KAS

You are correct. I'd only seen 54 and 57mm referenced for non-PP and PP elsewhere on the site, but I went and measured the non-PP I took of my car and it's definitely 57mm piston diameter. So that makes the Macan piston area the same as PP.

Would that imply that the Macan calipers should work well with the GTI master cylinder? If so, the Macan kit sounds like a great option for the price.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Would that imply that the Macan calipers should work well with the GTI master cylinder? If so, the Macan kit sounds like a great option for the price.

The PP/R/CCS all have a single 60mm diameter piston....(27,000mm area)

The 312mm GTI/GTD/DCC have a single 57mm piston....(23,149mm area)

The standard USA 288mmm discs have a single 54mm piston..but the Europe ones have a 57mm piston..

3.0L = at 4 of 42mm dia piston = 37,044mm area

TTRS = at 4 of 40mm dia piston = 32,000mm area...

there are 4 pistons....2 each side...

Dybz had his calcs wrong for the 3.0lt & the TTRS...

DAS_STIG

Banned
The PP/R/CCS all have a single 60mm diameter piston....(27,000mm area)

The 312mm GTI/GTD/DCC have a single 57mm piston....(23,149mm area)

The standard USA 288mmm discs have a single 54mm piston..but the Europe ones have a 57mm piston..

3.0L = at 4 of 42mm dia piston = 37,044mm area

TTRS = at 4 of 40mm dia piston = 32,000mm area...

there are 4 pistons....2 each side...

Dybz had his calcs wrong for the 3.0lt & the TTRS...

You only take one side when you calculate for fixed calipers, so no I did not. Remember that when you apply the brake you have to move a floating caliper piston far enough to apply pressure for two pads. On a fixed caliper those pistons will move half as much distance since they come at it from both sides.

So yes, the overall piston area is higher than I listed, but it doesnt matter since you would have to half that area when calculating out the true braking force formulas. This is what will impact your brake pedal feel and how the caliper interacts with your brake system.

Also, I think you have an extra 0 in your numbers. And you might be doing circumference formulas because your numbers are not the correct areas.

Lastly. I found that the TTRS caliper had staggered piston sizes. Are they just both 40mm?

Last edited:

DAS_STIG

Banned
I double checked my work, I would recommend you do the same. I had some of the piston diameters wrong, so my bad on that. All values below are in mm or mm^2 for area. If someone can confirm the TTRS is staggered or both 40mm I will adjust that.

Attachments

• pistons.JPG
    pistons.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 489

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Awww F******!!!!!:mad:

Just realised my bloody computer calculator was square rooting the fecking thing & not doing Pi!!….

Wish I could find my old Uni calculator which I used for Structural engineering studies!!...:mad::mad:

As pistons each side compared to one side, you need to double check you have the same volume of fluid to move so you hope that the two side moving half the distance of a single side will add up...:cool:

EDIT:_
Kicked the computer programme...

57mm piston is 2,551.75mm area.....
60mm is 2,827.43mm of area...

3.0lt rears at 2 x 42 pistons is 2 pistons at 1,385.44mm each or 2,770.88mm total....

PS & thanks for pointing it out...total face palm....on my part...I should know better than to trust the computer 100%!!....

Last edited: