GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

m7.5 SE vs S

mk7.5fan

Car(s)
Hyundai
So I'm going to be buying my first GTI ever/ first turbo 4cyl car ever as well. I'm not planning on keeping it stock and looking forward to having this be a fun daily for me.

I can here because I wanted to get some outside opinions on my current internal debate. I'm very interested in buying a m7.5 SE; for, I want the LEDs, Fender (only looking for SE experience package) and the bigger brakes. I could care less about the sunroof honestly. However, I also know the S would be fun because no sunroof, I can get aftermarket or OEM headlights (I believe?) and have more money for mods. I wanted to hear why you chose the trim you did and what advice you have for me. I appreciate you reading this and I appreciate your time!

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I wanted the fa tory upgraded headlights. I maintain that no aftermarket system comes close to them. Others may disagree. Big brakes and the vaq were also a must for me as were the cloth seats. The fender system is nice as well. In short, get the more upgraded model.

Mrgrimloc79

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2020 gti se
I got the 7.5 se almost solely because of the headlights...obviously other reasons as well but I did not want the tartan seats either.
If you can get that beautiful frameless auto dimming rear view mirror with the homelink buttons for the garage doors- do it .it's also one of my favorite things.

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
Not sure what year you're looking at, but with the '21s (and maybe others too), the standard wheels are different.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Did anyone mention the LSD?
Only a factor on the 2018 7.5s, 2019+ All of them come with the “LSD” regardless of trim.

OP - same goes for the brakes btw you’ll get the pp brakes regardless.

But with a S you don’t get kessy or push button start which many don’t care about I guess, but for me it’s odd in a modern car to use the key to start the car anymore 😂😂

mk7.5fan

Car(s)
Hyundai
Thank you all for the replies. It made it easier to go for an SE trim. Is the sunroof as bad as everyone says it is or is that blown out of proportion?

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
Thank you all for the replies. It made it easier to go for an SE trim. Is the sunroof as bad as everyone says it is or is that blown out of proportion?

My wife's '17 Golf and my '21 GTI SE have both been flawless and we use them a lot. I saw a post years ago that said VW changed its sunroof supplier in late '16 or early '17, but I don't know if there was any validity to it.

Mandatoryclutchpedal

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Cbr1000rr, GTI S
So I'm going to be buying my first GTI ever/ first turbo 4cyl car ever as well. I'm not planning on keeping it stock and looking forward to having this be a fun daily for me.

I can here because I wanted to get some outside opinions on my current internal debate. I'm very interested in buying a m7.5 SE; for, I want the LEDs, Fender (only looking for SE experience package) and the bigger brakes. I could care less about the sunroof honestly. However, I also know the S would be fun because no sunroof, I can get aftermarket or OEM headlights (I believe?) and have more money for mods. I wanted to hear why you chose the trim you did and what advice you have for me. I appreciate you reading this and I appreciate your time!

I got the S over the SE because headlights, sunroof and the better radio were not worth the premium to me.
I can see just fine with the stock halogens. I don't care too much about how dorky the halogens look with the led running lights and led fog light. (The carpet does not match the drapes)
No paranoia about exploding sunroofs or sunroof leaks or squeaks and rattle from above my head.

That being said, the SE is a nicer looking car with the led lights.
The MIB in the SE is better and has HD Radio and more stuff. The 6.5 composition unit in the S has..um. Yeah just use your phone.

If you are buying used, 2019-2021 S or SE will be a fun car. SE is prettier and a nicer place to spend time inside the car....aside from the rattles and squeaks from the sunroof (there is a solution to all that though)
If you are looking at a 2018, get the SE simply for the LSD.

Note: given the current market, don't rule out a 22 MK8 S over ANY mk7.5.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Only a factor on the 2018 7.5s, 2019+ All of them come with the “LSD” regardless of trim.

OP - same goes for the brakes btw you’ll get the pp brakes regardless.

But with a S you don’t get kessy or push button start which many don’t care about I guess, but for me it’s odd in a modern car to use the key to start the car anymore 😂😂
I had the push button start from a r35 gtr on my 78 Z, it's a cool thing to have a push button but i wouldn't consider that a deciding factor. Than again to each his own.

The lights have aftermarket options that have the bonus of being sequential.

For me the deciding factor was the seats. No plaid was a no-go from my end, and because my crystal ball wasn't working I didn't know the rabbits would come out one year after I bought my S. I still think CFB has been volkswagen's best colour.

OP, ultimately whichever spec you choose will be a good choice.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I had the push button start from a r35 gtr on my 78 Z, it's a cool thing to have a push button but i wouldn't consider that a deciding factor. Than again to each his own.
I get that - Hence why I said “many don’t care about I guess .

I have a 1970 z28 and have seen the push buttons that are added to older cars, unfortunately unless you also upgraded your steering column and accepted that you loose the steering wheel lock “security” feature you still have to use the key to unless the column no? Also gotta unlock the doors via key or clicker so Not really the same experience. With kessy and push button start you don’t even have to pull the keys From you pocket… walk up slip your hand on the door handle and it naturally unlocks, and push to start is the same key stays in the pocket - it’s just a nice feature to have and once you’re used to it, it just becomes something you just get accustomed to.

And yeah, if the dealer didn’t have this rabbit on the lot when I went there I would have stuck with the original plan and picked up the 2017 golfr I went there for 😂😂. But the gray + plaid seats and still getting the dynamic headlights, “lsd”, kessy - NO sunroof I just had to have it, lol.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
If it's me, it's SE all the way because the FAR superior LED lights are an absolute must in my book. There will be all kinds of regret later if you pass on them. Aftermarket stuff is all garbage, with possible exception of the pricey Osram solution. Also Fender is worthwhile if you listen to music at all and don't want to have to mess with attempting to upgrade the base system later.