GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LSPI / knocking with codes

qwertytheasdf

Hello all,

First and foremost, I would like to apologize for the following since it may be complicated and/or unable to actually determine the cause. Some information before diving into the details:
2015 MK7 GTI DSG, APR Stage 1 93 Octane High Torque Tune, Injen SRI, 105000 miles, oil changed with Liqui-Moly 5w40 Synthoil Premium 2000 miles ago. Coolant flush and DSG oil change done 1500 miles ago. APR Ignition Coils changed about 6000 miles ago. RS7 plugs done about 30,000 miles ago (this might be a cause)

It started with me getting gas at a Shell gas station. It's one that I normally frequent so I usually trust it pretty well. However, today I observed the pump glitch out a bit - showing all prices as 0.000 momentarily when I was selecting V-Power. No beeps or anything, and the gas started pumping as normal. I had a feeling that the pump may have been giving me 87 octane instead of 93 octane. I grab a receipt just in case of bad gas since I had a weird feeling already. I finish up and pull out onto the road and accelerate with 50% throttle. About 3K RPM's, I hear a VERY distinct knocking sound, pretty loud and immediately I knew (95% sure) it's LSPI. Pinged about 6-7 times before I backed off since it happened so quickly and rapidly. I limp it to my friend's place since the shop is closed for memorial day and he also has a scanner (not a VCDS) that we can plug in to pull some codes. Here's what came up:

P130A00 - Passive/Sporadic - Hide Cylinder
U112300 - Passive/Sporadic - Databus Error value received
P008700 - Passive/Sporadic - Fuel Rail/System Pressure - Too Low
P030100 - Passive/Sporadic - Cyl 1 Misfire Detected
P030400 - Passive/Sporadic - Cyl 4 Misfire Detected
P030000 - Passive/Sporadic - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected

We ran a few more tests, including checking the fuel pressure readings and got 157 PSI constant for the Low Pressure Actual reading and a fluctuating reading between 70 PSI to 95 PSI for Low Pressure Specified, depending on RPM. High Pressure Specified ran anywhere between 450 PSI (550 at idle, 750 with a/c on) and topping out at 3100 PSI at WOT. Car has not knocked since the test, including WOT. However, it does misfire quite a bit at 2~2.5K RPM's in park. The scanner counted about 35 misfires for cylinder 2, 4 for cylinder 1, 7 for cylinder 3, and 8 for cylinder 4. I'm about to take it into the shop tomorrow (memorial day closed and all), but my concerns are: The short LSPI event, how bad was that for the engine? Could this have been caused by receiving 87 octane instead of 93? Is the HPFP going out or the LPFP going? Spark plugs? Is it safe to drive on it, at least to the shop which is 20 miles away?

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
It's safe to drive. Just don't get on it. What price per gallon did the receipt show that you paid? Then you'll know what octane you got.

qwertytheasdf

Get new plugs. Drive like normal until tank is empty. Get new 93. Alternatively, drive like normal for 50 miles, top off with E85 (if available) and see if it still misfires. Get new plugs anyways. Post pics of plugs.
Will do.
It's safe to drive. Just don't get on it. What price per gallon did the receipt show that you paid? Then you'll know what octane you got.
Receipt says Premium - V-Power. Price is 3.25/gal (Houston TX prices are like this)

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Will do as well. TBH I'd be disappointed if it ends up being the coils since I purchased APR coils with the assumption that it's at least slightly more reliable than stock coils.
Can't comment on which coils would be superior. But I do hope your remedy is cheap and easy 👍🏽

qwertytheasdf

Flashed the 87 octane tune as recommended by the shop and will run the gas dry for about 2 cycles. Afterwards, spark plugs will be replaced and the 93 octane tune will go back on.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
This is v. unlikely to be LSPI - that is a v. serious condition that is common in v. low displacement engines. Can also be accentuated by high calcium in the motor oil. Getting some pinging is v. different.

qwertytheasdf

Alright, here's an interesting one for you all. The rattle is still there even after new engine mounts and new spark plugs. Also occurs regardless of 87 octane tune or 93 octane tune. I was able to reproduce the odd noise, right after the "shtutututu" when it hits the 3K rpm threshold to engage lift. The engine accelerates smoothly even with the "shtututu" noise, until the actual rattle of which it then shudders and vibrates.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Firstly - why are you getting on-boost compressor surge? Have you spoken with your tuning company (APR)? Have you logged your car during these conditions?

qwertytheasdf

Firstly - why are you getting on-boost compressor surge? Have you spoken with your tuning company (APR)? Have you logged your car during these conditions?
From what I read and understood on various forums, this is the wastegate rapidly opening and closing to prevent overboosting and surge. I could be wrong though.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
From what I read and understood on various forums, this is the wastegate rapidly opening and closing to prevent overboosting and surge. I could be wrong though.
That would be correct but it sounds like you are getting some surge which is different.