GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LP Headlights High Beam Issue – randomly decides to not work

theblackgt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW MK7 GTI / BMW F07
got a weird issue that hopefully someone can chime in on.
🥴

when I use the car after a while (at least a day of sitting), my high beams will only work for the first few minutes, and after it stops. however, if I leave just my DRLs on and low beams off, the high beams will work but only flash at the low beam level height. this leads me to think the high beams are working but some sensor is telling it to shoot at the same height as the low beams. this behavior is pretty random too –– sometimes the high beams will work at random after driving for a while, only to again shoot at low beam height a few seconds after. Just today when I was driving home, in front of my garage I flashed and they were working, then after waiting a minute in the same spot, they wouldn't flash at the same height. my car has the OEM lighting package headlights btw, not halogens. I do have custom DRL strips within, but like I said no codes from them and the actual xenon projectors were untouched.

I have no headlight codes either, ive checked my OBDeleven. has anyone had a similar issue or maybe there's a way to adjust the high beam level height without changing the low beam? I already know how to reset the headlight level both through OBDeleven and manually on the light itself, i've done both before.

I'll try to upload a video here later. TIA

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
High beam and low beam uses the same bulb/projector. There’s a shutter in each headlight that opens with high beams on.
If you activate high beams with ignition on you should be able to hear the shutters clicking.
Sounds like the shutters aren’t working.
Your headlights got modified, did you use the NA headlights to start with or European headlights?

theblackgt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW MK7 GTI / BMW F07
High beam and low beam uses the same bulb/projector. There’s a shutter in each headlight that opens with high beams on.
If you activate high beams with ignition on you should be able to hear the shutters clicking.
Sounds like the shutters aren’t working.
Your headlights got modified, did you use the NA headlights to start with or European headlights?
They're NA headlights, I used the actual lights my car came with. When I hit the high beams I can hear the shutter clicking and this faint whine –– when it works I can see the shutter move, but even when it's not working (high beam is shooting at low beam height) I can still hear them working. which is why it's confusing.

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I might be wrong, but a defect on both shutters at the same time seems unlikely to me.

Does that have something to do with maybe an airride? LP cars w/o DCC have just one ride height sensor in the rear. In low mode it might autocorrect for load and as a consequence the lights in general are way too low?

theblackgt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW MK7 GTI / BMW F07
I might be wrong, but a defect on both shutters at the same time seems unlikely to me.

Does that have something to do with maybe an airride? LP cars w/o DCC have just one ride height sensor in the rear. In low mode it might autocorrect for load and as a consequence the lights in general are way too low?
I'm on coilovers actually and not really that low, the fender sits above the tire. and even so, I recalibrated the headlights so the low beam level is fine. that's also another thing –– i've had occasions where one high beam shoots up, the other stays down. it's really random which is what makes it tricky to diagnose