GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

lowering springs

BenVisbeen

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 Vw GTI
So I'm going to purchase new wheels and tires for my Mk7 GTI but I want to lower it first. This is my daily driver and I know lowering it will effect the ride so I was just wondering what are your thoughts on the H&R sport spring and the Eibach sport springs. Im leaning towards getting the H&R springs but just wanna know your guys thoughts

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
Car(s)
981 Cayman & GTI SE
theres lot of thread on springs. id search, but couple take aways. everyone perceives comfort different and drive on different roads. once persons comfort may be anothers uncomfortable. take online reviews with grain of salt. best would be fine locals to you with lowered cars and go for a spin in them.

hr sport springs are progressive so they will get very stuff the further they compress which means theyll be pretty harsh. if you get the linear eibachs they should* be a little less harsh.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Both of these have lots of users and you can find all sorts of reviews etc. I have H&Rs on my Sportwagen with stock dampers and the ride is great but as mentioned above, this is v. subjective. I believe progressive springs will have a better ride for a daily b/c the portion of the spring travel you are sitting in most of the time will have a lower/softer rate than the comparable linear spring that will have to have one rate that will be higher/stiffer overall than that softer portion of the progressive spring if that makes sense - if it wasn't, you'd bottom out all the time. Folks like linear springs for the track b/c they are more predictable as the rate is the same throughout the travel. Yes, when you fully compress a progressive spring the rate will increase and you may even tap the bump stop (which is fine! it's a spring in itself and part of the suspension). There is just no way to lower a car and not increase the spring rate (whether it be a linear or progressive spring) - otherwise you bottom out too much which is what folks do when they shorten/cut their stock springs. Some good reading from H&R here on spring rates and bump stops:

Technical | H&R Special Springs, LP. (hrsprings.com)

Technical | H&R Special Springs, LP. (hrsprings.com)