GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Lowering Options for Ride Quality and Longevity?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I've used koni sports many times over the years, and my understanding is that the dampening isn't linear to the adjustment. My understanding is adjusting to 50% = 90% firmness. The last 50% of adjustment is almost useless and gets that last 10%.

Again, don't take that as Bible, but that's always been what I've been told about koni sports.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
I've used koni sports many times over the years, and my understanding is that the dampening isn't linear to the adjustment. My understanding is adjusting to 50% = 90% firmness. The last 50% of adjustment is almost useless and gets that last 10%.

Again, don't take that as Bible, but that's always been what I've been told about koni sports.
fyi Tein has a product they claim is adjustable on the car with same dimensions as stock. I'd ask alot of questions, including: "can you post a youtube video demonstrating it on our cars"

other possible issue for me is their compression increases with rebound firmness. Not sure if that's good as my impression is Koni does not increase compression...would Tein change ride height as a result?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
fyi Tein has a product they claim is adjustable on the car with same dimensions as stock. I'd ask alot of questions, including: "can you post a youtube video demonstrating it on our cars"

other possible issue for me is their compression increases with rebound firmness. Not sure if that's good as my impression is Koni does not increase compression...would Tein change ride height as a result?

I was considering the Tein rears too, but I had a bad experience with Tein with my GD STI. They like to use really stiff high speed compression and it makes the car unbearable on the street and jittery in corners. I've noticed that trend with both OEM and aftermarket Japanese suspension tuning and my research seems to indicate that's still the case. That's why I shied away from getting them for the rear. Also didn't know if the low speed rebound would be up to dampening 336 to 400lbs springs.

I think there's a company that makes rear koni sports with adjusters on the body, but they're $250 a piece. I'm now wishing I'd just ponied up for a custom coil over setup, but what are you going to do?

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
I was considering the Tein rears too, but I had a bad experience with Tein with my GD STI. They like to use really stiff high speed compression and it makes the car unbearable on the street and jittery in corners. I've noticed that trend with both OEM and aftermarket Japanese suspension tuning and my research seems to indicate that's still the case. That's why I shied away from getting them for the rear. Also didn't know if the low speed rebound would be up to dampening 336 to 400lbs springs.

I think there's a company that makes rear koni sports with adjusters on the body, but they're $250 a piece. I'm now wishing I'd just ponied up for a custom coil over setup, but what are you going to do?
shoot I would consider $250 for a bottom adjust koni. remember who?

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I spoke the owner (TC Kline himself, he often answers the Ohio number) about these pre-pandemic. one of the adjustments requires removal.

he also told me this is a part they previously sold for bmw. they added an adapter sleeve for the bottom mount.

super stuff for BMW I'm told

As long as rebound isn't what you need to remove the shock for, you're probably fine.

I wonder if anyone in the US could revalve the Tein rears.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
By the nature of lowering your suspension to be further through it's compression travel at it's starting ride height - you have to have a higher rate spring or you'd be on the bump stop all the time. Lowering springs with a sport damper like a Koni Sport or Bilstein B8 will give a firm sporty/touring type ride but will not be as soft as stock. They will also preseve as much compression travel as possible by not being too low. I'd go that route before doing coilovers.