GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Low speed clunking/knocking sound

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Will strongly consider that. Depends on what it costs to have a shop do it. You’ve done it before right?
Man dampers and suspension work is easy as anything else, you can 100% do it yourself. Save the money and use it to get a good alignment after you finish the job.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Yeah I’ve always assumed it was a PITA. I see stuff about 2x4’s and I’m like unmmm what. I also like the comfort of having a good shop do it because I can take it back to them if there’s a problem. We’ll see!

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Yeah I’ve always assumed it was a PITA. I see stuff about 2x4’s and I’m like unmmm what. I also like the comfort of having a good shop do it because I can take it back to them if there’s a problem. We’ll see!
Im actually the opposite. More than half the time I have taken my car to a shop for work something else gets messed up. I had a buddy work at an auto shop and the stories he told me that the customers will never hear... When I do my own work I know I did it right. Sure it may take longer, but I learn something new and I have the assurance that every single step was done correctly as I did it myself following the service manual or whatever instructions are provided (the forums are very useful in that regard). I get the idea of having a shop be accountable for any issues, but lets say they make a mistake and your car is clunking after the damper change. You gotta take the time out of your day to go back to the shop, talk to them and hope they find the source of the clunk, get the car in and fix it, meanwhile you really have no clue how any of it works. Now lets say you do it yourself and get a clunk. Since you did all the install yourself you have a good idea of what goes where and what might me making the sound. Lift the car up, find it, fix it, boom.

Thats just me though. I will tackle any job that doesn't require any special very expensive tools. Suspension work, no problem. AC system work, I aint dealin with those refrigerant things!

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I get that. Just depends on the job. I did the FMIC install myself and regular maintenance stuff. If I have a clunk after suspension install, I have no idea what the issue is. Hence this thread LOL. And if during install there's a bad bushing that needs replacing? I don't what that looks like, some parts require special tools, and a shop can get a part much faster than I can.

I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just saying this job is not one I have a high comfort level with yet.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I get that. Just depends on the job. I did the FMIC install myself and regular maintenance stuff. If I have a clunk after suspension install, I have no idea what the issue is. Hence this thread LOL. And if during install there's a bad bushing that needs replacing? I don't what that looks like, some parts require special tools, and a shop can get a part much faster than I can.

I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just saying this job is not one I have a high comfort level with yet.
When we do your suspension, you're going to buy new strut bushings/bearings (Do the assembled Eurosport strut bushing) and offset LCA front bushing and RS3 rear LCA bushing.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Lol what. See I don’t even know what those are or what they do. I’m already planning on the Eurosport camber mounts but no clue the others were required. 😂 Going to start another thread.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Lol what. See I don’t even know what those are or what they do. I’m already planning on the Eurosport camber mounts but no clue the others were required. 😂 Going to start another thread.
They offer it already installed in a new strut bushing. Get that one. It's a bit of a pain to drill out the center.

Trust me, I'm good at spending your money.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Is the bushing recommendation because the stock ones are typically shot, or for another reason?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Is the bushing recommendation because the stock ones are typically shot, or for another reason?
They're usually good for about 30k miles. If you're going to change it anyway, get the one with the Eoroport camber kit already installed to make your life easier.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
They're usually good for about 30k miles. If you're going to change it anyway, get the one with the Eoroport camber kit already installed to make your life easier.
Oh sorry I mean the LCA bushings swap. Will def get the strut mounts. Wasn’t sure of the LCA recommendation was handling-based, wear-based, or both.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Oh sorry I mean the LCA bushings swap. Will def get the strut mounts. Wasn’t sure of the LCA recommendation was handling-based, wear-based, or both.
The offset LCA bushing gives more negative camber and the RS3 rear is firmer than the crap stock one.