GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Low oil light??

Terpfool1

Car(s)
2018 GTI SE 6MT
Just signed up to this site to see if anyone else has had this problem: I have a 2018 SE GTI, been changing the oil with the kits ordered from ECS, no problems up until now. Change the oil faithfully every 5kmiles. After the latest one, the low oil light came up on the dash. First time it came on, I pulled over to make sure I didn't burn the engine up! But oil level was fine. It doesn't come on solid, but only on occasion. I just got under the car this afternoon and the sensor and connector look fine, no damage.

Anyone else have this problem? If there's a thread that already covers this, my apologies. Thanks, in advance!

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Rear main seal leak is a common problem on the MK7.
I've only done the extractor method of oil changes so I've never taken the oil drain bolt out. Theres some oil at the bottom of the transmission case, so I figure mine is leaky. Its a slow leak and does not drip. Every 10months or so the light comes on, and I just add 1/4qt of oil.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Rear main seal leak is a common problem on the MK7.
I've only done the extractor method of oil changes so I've never taken the oil drain bolt out. Theres some oil at the bottom of the transmission case, so I figure mine is leaky. Its a slow leak and does not drip. Every 10months or so the light comes on, and I just add 1/4qt of oil.

A slow leak that doesn't drip and causes you to add a 1/4 qt of oil in 10 months is probably just burning oil a little. That much of an oil leak in 10 months would show up on the ground. That's 8 ounces of oil.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
idk but sensor would be my guess. Hopefully wtty is still on. So this happened just after oil change?

I read the part where your level was good!

Mud

Terpfool1

Car(s)
2018 GTI SE 6MT
Not sure what symptoms those would be. I haven't noticed anything else. Why? This opens up a whole new world of things I could worry about.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Not sure what symptoms those would be. I haven't noticed anything else. Why? This opens up a whole new world of things I could worry about.
If you have a stock clutch then don't worry about it. Some of those that have aftermarket clutches with upgraded pressure plates have issues w/crankwalk.
If the light comes on and goes away, and your oil level is good I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe a bad sensor.

Navi

Autocross Champion
I sincerely doubt this is the issue, and I don't mean to speculate and add fear, but have you had any other crankwalk/thrust bearing failure symptoms?

crankwalk is those we do not speak about

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
Isn't that what VW forum life is all about? Stoking the fear? sorry haha!

I sincerely doubt that is it... and I wouldn't worry about it.... but... i would spend some time researching the subject here. It's an interesting topic and something I keep on the back of my mind despite a stock clutch on my vehicle as well.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
First time it came on, I pulled over to make sure I didn't burn the engine up! But oil level was fine. It doesn't come on solid, but only on occasion.

If the light comes on and the oil is at the same level it was when you checked it, the sensor is probably at fault. I don't know that it's a common fault, but the oil pressure sensor in mine failed at 1200 miles.