GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Low boost

edrex

Ready to race!
I’m not attacking Ed. I clearly stated in messages on messenger, and in this forum, that I was willing to do what was needed and asked of me, to diagnose the problem, but that I felt like it was a turbo issue. I was trying to give Ed the benefit of the doubt, that he was onto something. Nothing checked out. Nothing worked. The only choice I made on my own was to get a different turbo. If I hadn’t made that choice, I would be left with a non-working car still. Ed didn’t like my speculation, which I have explained I was making as I didn’t really know if it was the turbo or not (I’m not hiding anything). He continued to save face, and speculate that it was electrical. Was it? Nope. But instead of manning up and saying he was wrong, he would just point out another thing to put the blame on me, like wastegate or install error. That’s literally a slap to my face. I don’t do well with that. Like I explained before, his diagnosis was as good as mine, but with my install of the IS38 yesterday, it looks like my diagnosis seemed to be the only one that worked.

I’m not mad. I’m frustrated at the unprofessionalism that I’ve been dealt with. He says he’s been trying to help me. Yes he has, but it’s came at a cost to him continually pointing out to me that I’m basically worthless and don’t know anything. I don’t deal with that kindly.

As far as him refunding it, well yeah. It’s faulty, and hasn’t ran well since week one. Of course he would be refunding it. That’s the risk you take as a business owner. Welcome to entrepreneurship.
First, where is blueballs to man up and say he was wrong?
Second, looks like he understands that since the turbo wasn't faulty he is no longer due a refund. Thats the risk you take when you install parts incorrectly.

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf R DSG
Damn I'm hungry AND thirsty. But I'm more German than Brit, so I guess I'll take some currywurst and a few litres of Pils. (Bitte) ;)

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
Damn I'm hungry AND thirsty. But I'm more German than Brit, so I guess I'll take some currywurst and a few litres of Pils. (Bitte) ;)

Damnit I am half Swiss German so now you got me thinking about Brautwurst and rösti with onion sauce and weissbier.

jerodbroten

Ready to race!
Blueballs isn't responding because there is no cause to respond. As I said, I'm also having the exact same issues. I'm still waiting for my replacement. Luckily, I do have pictures of the original turbo when I received it and after I put it on. I will also take pictures after I take it off, take pictures of both turbos side by side and pictures of the turbo right before I ship it. Blueballs, didn't/doesn't have pics. I can almost guarantee everyone that I didn't/haven't over tightened anything. Yet, I have the exact same issues as Blueballs. I'm not saying that Blueballs did or didn't over tighten something. He and Ed are still discussing the particulars. What I am saying is that I am almost positive I haven't. So, like I said, I will wait for the new turbo and install. If my issues go away, I will know the course of action I need to take. If they don't, I will immediately let every one know that I'm still having the same issues and it's not the turbo. I get that Blueballs might have rubbed some people the wrong way. I can most certainly say that when discussing our issues that he was very polite and considerate. You guys have only seen the written content that came from frustration. Again, if you guys were going through the same thing, your tone might be different. Ed has helped me and at times I was still frustrated. When you've tried everything yout can think of except changing the turbo out and your still being told it isn't the turbo, well, heads can bump. I do think my age and prior tunning experiences have helped me keep my cool, but to be honest, when I was younger I acted the same way. Like I said, Blueballs has changed out his turbo and his car is working. He's switched out his actuator with one he tried on the EQT and it worked. The bent piece, yes would cause an issue, however, I'm almost certain mine is not bent,yet I am still getting the exact EPCs Blueballs was getting. I could however be wrong. It could be slightly bent, I won't know until I can compare it to the new turbo. If it's bent, then I will except that after 20 years of modding cars, I still can make mistakes. If it's not bent, well, we will see what happens.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Blueballs isn't responding because there is no cause to respond. As I said, I'm also having the exact same issues. I'm still waiting for my replacement. Luckily, I do have pictures of the original turbo when I received it and after I put it on. I will also take pictures after I take it off, take pictures of both turbos side by side and pictures of the turbo right before I ship it. Blueballs, didn't/doesn't have pics. I can almost guarantee everyone that I didn't/haven't over tightened anything. Yet, I have the exact same issues as Blueballs. I'm not saying that Blueballs did or didn't over tighten something. He and Ed are still discussing the particulars. What I am saying is that I am almost positive I haven't. So, like I said, I will wait for the new turbo and install. If my issues go away, I will know the course of action I need to take. If they don't, I will immediately let every one know that I'm still having the same issues and it's not the turbo. I get that Blueballs might have rubbed some people the wrong way. I can most certainly say that when discussing our issues that he was very polite and considerate. You guys have only seen the written content that came from frustration. Again, if you guys were going through the same thing, your tone might be different. Ed has helped me and at times I was still frustrated. When you've tried everything yout can think of except changing the turbo out and your still being told it isn't the turbo, well, heads can bump. I do think my age and prior tunning experiences have helped me keep my cool, but to be honest, when I was younger I acted the same way. Like I said, Blueballs has changed out his turbo and his car is working. He's switched out his actuator with one he tried on the EQT and it worked. The bent piece, yes would cause an issue, however, I'm almost certain mine is not bent,yet I am still getting the exact EPCs Blueballs was getting. I could however be wrong. It could be slightly bent, I won't know until I can compare it to the new turbo. If it's bent, then I will except that after 20 years of modding cars, I still can make mistakes. If it's not bent, well, we will see what happens.
Anyone that has worked on cars for xxx amount of years can relate to issues, I have worked on car essentially my whole life starting with holding a light and fetching tools for my dad who is the best gear head and engine builder I have ever known, granted his building of engines and cars are of a different era, I personally am going through the same type of situation just not with my turbo but with my mpi, tested everything and still cant figure it out, some stuff just dont make sense but it's the way you conduct yourself is how people will respond, my frustration level is very high with my issue especially since it worked on one car but not on another when all that was done was just move one from the other, I feel his frustration as anyone would but ultimately it is how you conduct yourself, I have gotten good advice from the guy who makes the kit and from my tuner but still no remedy so instead of getting angry and or pointing fingers I just move on to the next step in trying to locate my issue and getting it resolved, I do hope your issue gets resolved and I hope his can get squared away reasonably, I know Ed is one of the most fair businessmen and vendors there are

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
Experience in itself provides you with the knowledge that things are not always what they seem and the outcome can be far from what you thought.

One thing is certain with automobiles, they will always give you a swift kick in the ass regardless your experience. It's the experience that prepares you for it and hopefully keeps an open mind for any result.

OBP

Go Kart Newbie
Is it possible that the metal used on the arm is defective and simply warped from the heat cycle(s), ala Forged in Fire oil quench?

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R

Hi Jerod,

You and Blueballs were throwing slightly different codes. I'm not making any assumptions about what's wrong with your car/turbo, just as I didn't make any such assumptions about the turbo we received until we saw it with our own eyes.

There are many possible thing that can cause the symptoms you guys have. There was someone who mentioned the same exact thing with a Mabo turbo. When he pulled the turbo, he found that one of the lines was in the way of the wastegate. In the case of Blueballs, the actuator arm was extremely bent causing it to bind... very clear case on that one. There are at least 10 other potential causes for these symptoms as well. There is simply no way for me or anyone else to magically diagnose the issue and give you the solution remotely. I do my best and suggest the most likely causes, but its not my responsibility to be the final say in diagnosing your car.

I hope through the process of pulling and installing a new turbo, you will figure out what's going on. But I am a bit curious about this comment "If my issues go away, I will know the course of action I need to take." Can you please elaborate on this course of action that you would need to take?

Thanks
-- Ed

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Experience in itself provides you with the knowledge that things are not always what they seem and the outcome can be far from what you thought.

One thing is certain with automobiles, they will always give you a swift kick in the ass regardless your experience. It's the experience that prepares you for it and hopefully keeps an open mind for any result.

Wise words!

-- Ed

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Is it possible that the metal used on the arm is defective and simply warped from the heat cycle(s), ala Forged in Fire oil quench?

Highly unlikely for a piece of metal that thick to warp like this without major force being applied to it. If anything, it would break before taking on such a bend from straight heat.

-- Ed