GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Loud "pothole impact" sound over bumps normal?

al3xh

Hey All,

I figured I would "bump" this topic to the top.

Has anyone who's add the bottoming out issue managed to resolve the problem? It seems like firmer shock settings for DCC cars seems to help. Would firmer shocks/struts help on Non DCC?

-s
There's another thread regarding this issue: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/anyway-to-reduce-the-r-from-bottoming-out.373904

and what we figured out was either switching shock/struts to Bilstein B6 or getting 17'' rims with softer tires.

I personally opted for the latter and have had good results with 17'' + Pirelli Cinturato P7s. I have only heard the sledgehammer effect twice since switching the rim/tires and this is after driving for 20k miles. Combining the shock/struts with more compliant tires might be the way to fully eliminate this issue.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
Can someone please chime in on whether these cars have any issues with mushrooming strut towers or the like?
Not so much "mushrooming strut towers," at least as far as I know, but the front strut mounts are prone to wearing out. One of mine gave up after about 25,000 miles (admittedly, most of those were over many nasty potholes and lots of cobblestone streets). Fortunately, they're replaceable, though you have to drop the struts (obviously). It's not a bad idea to replace them if you change your shocks/struts.

langer

i fix teefs
I cringe every time I see a pot hole on the highway when I can't avoid it. It has been noticeably better with new DWS+ tires that replaced DWS. I did bend my drive rear wheel recently from one of the pot holes, which led to the DWS+ replacement tires. General road chatter seems much more muted with the new tires, too. I had the loud impact problems in my mkv gti also.

World Famous Z

Ready to race!
has anyone tried the DSC sport DCC controller? I've read a few limited reviews for our car but there's tons of input from porsche, ford, vette owners etc. I know their suspension is controlled differently than the R's. So curious if anyone has tried this controller to see how it or if it makes a difference with this crashing suspension? I'm lowered on VWR springs, OEM shocks DCC and hate how it handles even small irregularities in the road. I want to fix it but like having the ability to adjust modes. I don't want to lose that, but don't want to spend $2500 for aftermarket suspension that keeps that functionality.