GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Lots of water in the spare tire well

amsr

Ready to race!
Your insurance could help you probably.

If one uses insurance for a water leak that is later found to be the result of a collision would that fall under the original deductible? At what point do they brand the car a “flood” car? The amount of water damage from these failed vents seems extensive, although clearly less than if the car was submerged.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
If one uses insurance for a water leak that is later found to be the result of a collision would that fall under the original deductible? At what point do they brand the car a “flood” car? The amount of water damage from these failed vents seems extensive, although clearly less than if the car was submerged.
It wouldn't be branded as a flood car.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
Finally received my new vent seals in the mail today. Car has been in the garage waiting so I put them in immediately, added a thin layer of silicone sealant around the edges to make sure the new seal doesn't wear out like the old one.

You can see in the pictures how bad the original was, essentially worthless.

I had to order new carpet and insulation padding too because the old ones were all moldy. Still waiting for the insulation to arrive then I can finally put the car back together. It has been in my garage completely gutted. I did make use of the spare time and added a bunch of butyl sound deadening. I've never had that in a car before but figured while everything was out I'd give it a shot, hopefully it quiets things down a bit.

Attachments

• PXL_20210930_224915685.jpg
    PXL_20210930_224915685.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 691
  • PXL_20210930_224954943.jpg
    PXL_20210930_224954943.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 696
  • PXL_20210930_225006029.jpg
    PXL_20210930_225006029.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 644
  • PXL_20210930_225905834.jpg
    PXL_20210930_225905834.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 748

amsr

Ready to race!
My car has been in the shop for 2 months for this issue. They are replacing the rear seat (foam water damaged), the trunk carpet (water damaged), the leaking vent, and probably the subwoofer since it was wet. The jack kit and spare wheel will likely also be replaced because they have rusted. They can’t get parts because of the supply chain issues. What a nightmare. Are all VW/Audi cars prone to this type of leak? Or is this Golf or MQB specific?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
My car has been in the shop for 2 months for this issue. They are replacing the rear seat (foam water damaged), the trunk carpet (water damaged), the leaking vent, and probably the subwoofer since it was wet. The jack kit and spare wheel will likely also be replaced because they have rusted. They can’t get parts because of the supply chain issues. What a nightmare. Are all VW/Audi cars prone to this type of leak? Or is this Golf or MQB specific?
I don't know what vw-audi cars are prone to this but I've never had any brand of car that had these problems. In fairness my GTI hasn't either but I see far too many of these posts.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Remember the drainage tube in the hatch for the VW badge/handle is known to have the lower grommet fail and leak inside.
Yes!!! Just a couple of weeks ago my wife found what she thought was a drain grommet on the bumper and brought it to me. I vaguely remembered this was a problem on the hatches so I looked closer and sure enough, the flange/grommet end had severed from the tube. I ordered a new one ($15 shipped is better than having the dealer possibly break the inside panel clips hacking their way to repairing it under warranty). Surprises me that it went bad after only 3.5 years!

daymoon

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Yes!!! Just a couple of weeks ago my wife found what she thought was a drain grommet on the bumper and brought it to me. I vaguely remembered this was a problem on the hatches so I looked closer and sure enough, the flange/grommet end had severed from the tube. I ordered a new one ($15 shipped is better than having the dealer possibly break the inside panel clips hacking their way to repairing it under warranty). Surprises me that it went bad after only 3.5 years!
Do you have a part number for that grommet? Mine broke off too and since then my hatch has been filling with water.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Do you have a part number for that grommet? Mine broke off too and since then my hatch has been filling with water.
510-827-861-A

I paid more for shipping than for the part itself, LOL.

The new part is an improved design over the original that failed. That one had a clear PVC tube and a glued on black grommet, and the adhesive failed. The new one is all one molded piece so the grommeted end should hold up better.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Put a small amount of black sealant around the grommet mating surface when you replace it.

daymoon

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
510-827-861-A

I paid more for shipping than for the part itself, LOL.

The new part is an improved design over the original that failed. That one had a clear PVC tube and a glued on black grommet, and the adhesive failed. The new one is all one molded piece so the grommeted end should hold up better.
Sweet thank you. Thankfully I have parts center not too far from me so shipping costs wont be an issue.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Sweet thank you. Thankfully I have parts center not too far from me so shipping costs wont be an issue.

Note that the hose may be longer than you need, just cut it down to fit. I think they did this to make the same part # be compatible with both sportwagen and shortgolf hatches. I had to cut it down for my GSW hatch.

I actually tried getting it from my dealer who is 10 minutes away but after they couldn't find it despite showing it in stock in their computer, I said screw it, I'll just order it online and pay for shipping. My car is under warranty and I could have just left it for them to deal with, but I never trust them removing interior panels, I always find a broken clip or two. So for the few bucks it costs me, I'd rather do it myself and do it right.

daymoon

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Note that the hose may be longer than you need, just cut it down to fit. I think they did this to make the same part # be compatible with both sportwagen and shortgolf hatches. I had to cut it down for my GSW hatch.

I actually tried getting it from my dealer who is 10 minutes away but after they couldn't find it despite showing it in stock in their computer, I said screw it, I'll just order it online and pay for shipping. My car is under warranty and I could have just left it for them to deal with, but I never trust them removing interior panels, I always find a broken clip or two. So for the few bucks it costs me, I'd rather do it myself and do it right.
In the mean time I got a straw and bent it so it could be forced inside of the tube, then cut the excess off. No water in the hatch so far and its been raining the past few days, def wan want to do it right though.