GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looks like I'm officially back with a VW

cb1111

For a while now I've been looking for a wagon and decided on an Alltrack SEL. I almost pulled the trigger on a black one, but it got sold out from under me since I was waffling too long on the color.

I was then looking at one in Albuquerque because business was going to take me to Santa Fe. This one was gray over brown - my second favorite combo. I bought it and then New Mexico effectively shut down because COViD. I decided to get it shipped and it was supposed to be here on the 22nd. Imagine my surprise when the driver came knocking on my door today. Out front was a really huge truck (8/10 cars) with my new one on it.

Off loaded and put in my garage because I don't have plates yet so I can't drive it (but I can play with it and change all the settings.

My wife looks at it and says "nice car, I like it. What are you going to get for yourself?"

Which begs the question - what do I get as a second car? My wife's Civic has 170k miles and she really would like something new. We got the wagon because we have me (look at the avatar) that goes in the hatch and my job requires 24/7 mobility, so AWD and snow shoes were a must.

I'm kind of contemplating a GTI, but it'll need to be an Autobahn (LEDs, parking sensors etc) unless I can find another Alltrack SEL in "non-black" with a "non-black" interior.

Anybody have a VCDS/OBDeleven in the greater DC area? I'll buy one eventually when I can figure out if I want the VCDS or the OBDeleven, but in the mean time I do want to make some changes.

First up, of course, is PPF and ceramic coating and maybe a nice 60% ceramic tint.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
GTI and VCDS (I assume you have lap top) I have eleven but no laptop...normally pro-grade tools are better in the long run.

however, who is the 2nd car really for? If it is hers you know who gets final decision

cb1111

GTI and VCDS (I assume you have lap top) I have eleven but no laptop...normally pro-grade tools are better in the long run.

however, who is the 2nd car really for? If it is hers you know who gets final decision
Yeah, I'm kind of partial to VCDS too. You may have helped me decide :)

The second car was supposed to be for my wife, but she really likes the Alltrack, so it might be for me - which puts me back to square one :(

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Yeah, I'm kind of partial to VCDS too. You may have helped me decide :)

The second car was supposed to be for my wife, but she really likes the Alltrack, so it might be for me - which puts me back to square one :(
Not VCDS friendly but what about the new AWD Turbo Mazda 3's? Won't be as sporty as the GTI but it's hard to beat that interior and it sounds like either you or your wife would be happy in it every day

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Do you need two adult cars? We've had two practical cars for a long time and I'm trying to talk the wife into something fun like a Boxster or M2, but the problem then becomes that my kid hauler GTI is a manual and she's not all that interested in driving it.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Congrats on your purchase. Gray over brown is a classy combo.

I would tilt towards the GTI to have some variety in the garage even though its not of a big difference.

cb1111

Not VCDS friendly but what about the new AWD Turbo Mazda 3's? Won't be as sporty as the GTI but it's hard to beat that interior and it sounds like either you or your wife would be happy in it every day
I kind of like the Mazda 3. Probably a bit more reliable too with better gas mileage (important for wifey)

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I kind of like the Mazda 3. Probably a bit more reliable too with better gas mileage (important for wifey)
I had the previous Mazda 3 with the same 2.5L engine, albeit with a manual. It consistently got 4-5 mpg less than either of my GTI's. Horrible motor.. Nice interior. Horrible front subframe that was totaled in a ten mile an hour accident. It did have a few factors that I enjoyed more than the VW, but overall, wouldn't recommend one, and the new one has a solid rear axle and has generally lost all signs of being fun to drive.

cb1111

Congrats on your purchase. Gray over brown is a classy combo.

I would tilt towards the GTI to have some variety in the garage even though its not of a big difference.
Has huge advantages - same indy, same parts, same wheels, same buttons in the same places, same infotainment.

I'm actually looking for another Alltrack or a GTI. Too bad there aren't any Rs left and the used ones cost more than new.

cb1111

I had the previous Mazda 3 with the same 2.5L engine, albeit with a manual. It consistently got 4-5 mpg less than either of my GTI's. Horrible motor.. Nice interior. Horrible front subframe that was totaled in a ten mile an hour accident. It did have a few factors that I enjoyed more than the VW, but overall, wouldn't recommend one, and the new one has a solid rear axle and has generally lost all signs of being fun to drive.
I had rented one for a few months 10 years ago (a regular 3) and it was a fun little car IIRC, but I only drove it around town in Colo Springs

cb1111

Do you need two adult cars? We've had two practical cars for a long time and I'm trying to talk the wife into something fun like a Boxster or M2, but the problem then becomes that my kid hauler GTI is a manual and she's not all that interested in driving it.
Unfortunately yes. My wife periodically goes up to the kids (and she needs seats for the kid's kids) while I have my mom and my avatar. A GTI/3 etc. would work.

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
AWD wagons and hatches are getting harder to find, but there are still some out there. Other than the Golf/GTI/Alltrack there are some good options.

Audi has the A4 Allroad, if you want an overpriced Alltrack with leather seats. Or you could get a used Focus RS if you like blown head gaskets.

BMW has the 328i and 330i x-drive and Volvo has the V60. Jaguar has the XF Sportbrake. Subaru makes an Impreza wagon. Merc has the A45 AMG and the E class wagon, but they're expensive.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
I’ve been thinking about going to test drive one of these to dump my GTI due to the reliability.
Extra comfort of the Mazda would probably change for me if I did any mods though haha.

edit: Just saw the Previous comment about a solid rear axle... hmm don’t like that.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I had rented one for a few months 10 years ago (a regular 3) and it was a fun little car IIRC, but I only drove it around town in Colo Springs
The old one was pretty fun, honestly more fun than my GTI, at least handling wise, it was just a lot more involving. It had lots of lift off oversteer, liked to rotate and the steering was worlds better. But it had a really flinty ride, didn't like to rev above 4,500 and self destructed in a minor accident.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Has huge advantages - same indy, same parts, same wheels, same buttons in the same places, same infotainment.

I'm actually looking for another Alltrack or a GTI. Too bad there aren't any Rs left and the used ones cost more than new.

You might be able to come across a slightly used MK7.5 R in a great condition.

If you are planning to keep it for a while like your civic, MK7.5 R is solid one and definitely a worthy contender. All future MYs is going to have tons of technology in it.