GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looks like I'm officially back with a VW

cb1111

You might be able to come across a slightly used MK7.5 R in a great condition.

If you are planning to keep it for a while like your civic, MK7.5 R is solid one and definitely a worthy contender. All future MYs is going to have tons of technology in it.
Yeah, there's a CPO not too far away but it is $39k. A R would be perfect and that wouldn't make me feel bad about giving her the wagon. :D

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Yeah, there's a CPO not too far away but it is $39k. A R would be perfect and that wouldn't make me feel bad about giving her the wagon. :D

Your thread made me look at few Rs in the market. Some of them are listed with a reasonable asking price for their condition (low miles), even after factoring in R resale value and current market. Maybe its time to bring in another MK7 to your garage!

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI

you can also build the Alltrack to R spec for less than the cost of that R, and still have a wagon. And get the wife a GTI

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
you can also build the Alltrack to R spec for less than the cost of that R, and still have a wagon. And get the wife a GTI
This.

Or get something like my neighbor has, 73 Suburban, 7.4l V8, former military vehicle with gun ports. Pretty much goes anywhere it wants to. He rattle-canned it flat black and scares the hell out of everyone.

cb1111

Your thread made me look at few Rs in the market. Some of them are listed with a reasonable asking price for their condition (low miles), even after factoring in R resale value and current market. Maybe its time to bring in another MK7 to your garage!
Good idea. That may be the way to go
This.

Or get something like my neighbor has, 73 Suburban, 7.4l V8, former military vehicle with gun ports. Pretty much goes anywhere it wants to. He rattle-canned it flat black and scares the hell out of everyone.
Too many black Suburbans around here and a black warwagon would get me stopped every 5 ft in DC. I did love my 98 Yukon though. That was before they bloated up to a fat pig.
;

MKSeven

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti, duh.
parking sensors
By parking sensors, you mean a backup camera with audible 'beeps' when you're close to an object, or just one with a backup camera?
I think the backup camera fairs pretty well on the SE. (But I would recommend getting one with blind spot monitoring.)

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
Yeah, forgot here you lived. I would think nowadays in DC a squatted pick-up would get more scrutiny than a black Suburban 😁.

I'm still giving serious thought to my re-entry back to Golf/GTI/R land and the modded wagon is on my radar. Hard finding a plain 4Motion DSG wagon (I'm meh on the Alltrack) that hasn't been ragged out or lives in the salt-belt. Not many down in the sunny-side of the country driven by transplanted Northeners wearing shorts up to their nipples with black socks and brown loafers hogging the left lane at minus 15 with the blinker on.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

cb1111

So with 20 miles on the odometer, I'm getting a smell like hot brakes, but the rotors are cool. Would I be correct in assuming that it is some of that cosmolene crap that may have dripped on the exhaust system and may burn off? I see nothing and, of course, it drives fine.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
So with 20 miles on the odometer, I'm getting a smell like hot brakes, but the rotors are cool. Would I be correct in assuming that it is some of that cosmolene crap that may have dripped on the exhaust system and may burn off? I see nothing and, of course, it drives fine.
I didn't know it was called cosmolene but that would be my guess. Could also be parts of the exhaust system.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport

cb1111

I didn't know it was called cosmolene but that would be my guess. Could also be parts of the exhaust system.
Yeah, one day I'll tell you a funny cosmolene story. It involved Libya, gold plated Uzis and pig fat cosmolene.

Car is going in tomorrow for PPF, ceramic coating and possibly ceramic tint (60%ish - just for heat reduction.) I should have it back in a couple of days.

roundle1979

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI SE 6MT
Re 2nd car, if I had to replace my 2018 GTI SE 6MT (which now has 20K miles), I'd probably consider:

*Another VW GTI 6MT
*BMW 220i; I'd love an M2, but I think the 220i would be a great daily driver (and can be had with 6MT)
*Audi S3 (Audi is discounting these as they are getting long in the tooth); the DSG would be a hard sell for me
*A nice BMW E91 6MT (a car I regret selling)
*Tesla Model 3

I'd probably not do the Mazda 3, though I like the styling. The 2.5T is a great SUV motor (I also have a 2018 CX9 GT AWD) but I cannot imagine it being very engaging in a small car.

Last edited:

cb1111

Re 2nd car, if I had to replace my 2018 GTI SE 6MT (which now has 20K miles), I'd probably consider:

*Another VW GTI 6MT
*BMW 220i; I'd love an M2, but I think the 220i would be a great daily driver (and can be had with 6MT)
*Audi S3 (Audi is discounting these as they are getting long in the tooth); the DSG would be a hard sell for me
*A nice BMW E91 6MT (a car I regret selling)
*Tesla Model 3

I'd probably not do the Mazda 3, though I like the styling. The 2.5T is a great SUV motor (I also have a 2018 CX9 GT AWD) but I cannot imagine it being very engaging in a small car.
I don't regret selling my 335xi and would never own another BMW outside of Europe.
S3 is interesting but a bit on the expensive side
Tesla - I'll buy electric when they get down to 10 minute recharges and a 400 mile range.

But yes, a GTI is tempting