GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looks like I'm officially back with a VW

cb1111

I dropped my car off on Sunday to get the PPF and ceramic coating done - we decided to wait on the tint until better weather. Picked the car up today and it looks pretty decent :p Of course it snowed on the way home....
20210126_130527.jpg

20210126_130534.jpg
20210126_130554.jpg
20210126_130514.jpg

I threw in a photo of the shop as well. Great place and I can recommend it wholeheartedly. I stopped to get lunch on the way back and put a soda on the roof while I opened the door - it nearly slid off....

cb1111

M3 in winter storage for the owner's brother.

I've had Raja do my last 7 or 8 cars. Workmanship is impeccable and I've seen him work wonders on cars.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
For a while now I've been looking for a wagon and decided on an Alltrack SEL. I almost pulled the trigger on a black one, but it got sold out from under me since I was waffling too long on the color.

I was then looking at one in Albuquerque because business was going to take me to Santa Fe. This one was gray over brown - my second favorite combo. I bought it and then New Mexico effectively shut down because COViD. I decided to get it shipped and it was supposed to be here on the 22nd. Imagine my surprise when the driver came knocking on my door today. Out front was a really huge truck (8/10 cars) with my new one on it.

Off loaded and put in my garage because I don't have plates yet so I can't drive it (but I can play with it and change all the settings.

My wife looks at it and says "nice car, I like it. What are you going to get for yourself?"

Which begs the question - what do I get as a second car? My wife's Civic has 170k miles and she really would like something new. We got the wagon because we have me (look at the avatar) that goes in the hatch and my job requires 24/7 mobility, so AWD and snow shoes were a must.

I'm kind of contemplating a GTI, but it'll need to be an Autobahn (LEDs, parking sensors etc) unless I can find another Alltrack SEL in "non-black" with a "non-black" interior.

Anybody have a VCDS/OBDeleven in the greater DC area? I'll buy one eventually when I can figure out if I want the VCDS or the OBDeleven, but in the mean time I do want to make some changes.

First up, of course, is PPF and ceramic coating and maybe a nice 60% ceramic tint.
That’s awesome your wife likes the car, and welcome back!

Gti and a Alltrack make a great pair and cover basically anything you’d want to do, but what about GLI as the second vehicle?

-Autobahn has vented seats

(that’s reason enough for me lol, especially since you already have the ultimate wagon)

cb1111

Gti and a Alltrack make a great pair and cover basically anything you’d want to do, but what about GLI as the second vehicle?

(that’s reason enough for me lol, especially since you already have the ultimate wagon)
Never thought of a GLI - more room in the back seat too. I'm a bit tempted by a 19 Passat R - any thoughts on those?

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals

Unless VW USA screws things up (high probability of this), the Mk8 GTI and R both have ventilated seats.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Never thought of a GLI - more room in the back seat too. I'm a bit tempted by a 19 Passat R - any thoughts on those?

Ive carpooled in this one and even sitting in the back seat is comfortable (I’m 6’2”) only complaint would be getting work boots in and out. Once I’m in I can ride back there no issues at all.

I’m a big fan of the Passat R line as a second car, but wouldn’t want it to be my daily (too slow and boring to drive), but as a family or wife car it’s awesome.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI

GLI is ugly. But I was impressed with the driving dynamic of the Jetta SE loaner I had for 2 months. I’ll admit the looks have grown on me now that I know it’s a good drive. DCC can be had on a GLI for like 25K which is great value

Last edited:

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Knowing the new Passat is on the previous NMS platform, I would struggle to suggest it. But I’ve been impressed with the stop start equipped cars factory drivetrain stiffness, really ups their dynamics/feedback. And the 8-speed is pretty decent in S mode. So I’d say give it a try. Especially, like others said above, if it’s the wife’s car. No AWD, but more useable space than most crossovers.