GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looking to upgrade Front Lower Control Arms / Bushings

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
I don't track or race the car but do quite a bit of spirited driving and mountain carving when weather permits. I've been looking to replace the rear bushings on the front LCA's with the BFI RS3 style solid rubber bushings. Thought about superpro or powerflex bushings, but I think that might be more than what I need. Not sure it's worth messing with it, or just flat out buy the BFI control arms and replace them.

Does anyone have experience with the BFI bushings? Are they worth it or go poly?
Does anyone have a recommended tool to pull/install the bushings?

-DK-

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
I have no experience with the BFI bushings but do have the super pro LCAs and they are great. Very solid feeling. I also installed super pro bushings in the rear trailing arms using a hydraulic press. In the past, I’ve used Autozone’s free tool loan program and borrowed a Cclamp bushing press tool which worked very well.

acorazza

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI 6MT
I just installed my OEM arms with BFI bushings after having the Superpro arms for a few years. I installed as the bushing in the Superpro arm got messed up (I think my fault) and was making noise. I was also swapping out my suspension and using camber plates that gave me a good amount of camber so I took the Superpro arms off as I didn't need the extra camber anymore.

IME the BFI bushigns are good and take some of the slop out but the Superpro arms still felt more direct. I have run similar camber on both setups so I think its down to the Poly bushing and maybe the extra caster from them. If you can do the work yourself and want to experiment, the BFI bushings are pretty cheap and easy to install with Autozone tools using their rental program but if you are paying someone, I would get a price quote between installing new arms and having the new bushings pressed in to your old arms. I don't know what the difference in price would be but it would probably bring them closer in line.

Also if you want more a little more camber and caster then the Superpro arms definitely get my vote.

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
I rather do the work myself, and would probably just buy the tools depending on if it's worth the price. Probably would like to do the rears as well in the future. I'm good with just keeping it OEM plus, no extra camber or caster for now which is why I'm steering away (no pun intended) from the Superpro Alloys as it may exceed my needs. They have another set priced lower than BFI which caught my eye but it's a pre-order.

1646232607563.png

Would something like this work?

1646233030977.png

acorazza

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI 6MT
That looks like a good kit but again you can get it at Autozone as long as its in stock. You pay full price for their rental unit and they refund you when you return it.

Also, the preorder kit you show from Superpro is just the Superpro bushings pressed into an OEM arm, similar to the BFI units.

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
That looks like a good kit but again you can get it at Autozone as long as its in stock. You pay full price for their rental unit and they refund you when you return it.

Also, the preorder kit you show from Superpro is just the Superpro bushings pressed into an OEM arm, similar to the BFI units.
Thanks, I appreciate the advice!

I figured that was the case. I couldn't justify replacing the arms unless they were damaged or I wanted to add caster/camber.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
I found the local parts store tool rental worked, but wasn't as robust as that amazon kit. I wouldn't buy the amazon kit, I just had to get a little creative with the rental kit. I also had access to a shop press, which helped with the install of the new bushings. You could get them pressed in with other methods, but would be a little more of a fight.

Overall not a complicated process if you're not shy from working on your on car.

If I were to do it all over again, I would have just bought the replacement arms with the bushings already installed. This would have been just for the ease of replacing, nothing more.

Don't forget new hardware, as they should all be replaced.

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
I found the local parts store tool rental worked, but wasn't as robust as that amazon kit. I wouldn't buy the amazon kit, I just had to get a little creative with the rental kit. I also had access to a shop press, which helped with the install of the new bushings. You could get them pressed in with other methods, but would be a little more of a fight.

Overall not a complicated process if you're not shy from working on your on car.

If I were to do it all over again, I would have just bought the replacement arms with the bushings already installed. This would have been just for the ease of replacing, nothing more.

Don't forget new hardware, as they should all be replaced.

You actually gave me an idea. I'm probably going to order the BFI arms and fit the OEM arms with poly bushings down the road if I feel the BFI's aren't sufficient. Still comes out cheaper than SuperPro Alloy's and have 2 sets of control arms 🧐...options.

Just ordered the hardware at my local dealership.

Reactions: krs

bfury5

Autocross Champion
I don't track or race the car but do quite a bit of spirited driving and mountain carving when weather permits. I've been looking to replace the rear bushings on the front LCA's with the BFI RS3 style solid rubber bushings. Thought about superpro or powerflex bushings, but I think that might be more than what I need. Not sure it's worth messing with it, or just flat out buy the BFI control arms and replace them.

Does anyone have experience with the BFI bushings? Are they worth it or go poly?
Does anyone have a recommended tool to pull/install the bushings?
Do the rears with BFI solid rubber. Had them for 2 years and one of the best mods you can do for turn-in feel.

I used a combination of a u-joint press kit to remove them and a regular vise to install them. Make sure you get them centered and aligned (not skewed) when pressing in. They don't automatically align because the bushing OD is slightly curved. Also, make sure you press them to the right depth (I measured how much bushing was above the LCA and pressed new ones to same depth).

edit: I also ordered replacement LCA from rockauto for ~$60 a side and pressed the BFI bushings into those, then swapped the entire LCA into the car. I only did this to minimize downtime of the car in case I had trouble swapping the bushings

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
Do the rears with BFI solid rubber. Had them for 2 years and one of the best mods you can do for turn-in feel.

I used a combination of a u-joint press kit to remove them and a regular vise to install them. Make sure you get them centered and aligned (not skewed) when pressing in. They don't automatically align because the bushing OD is slightly curved. Also, make sure you press them to the right depth (I measured how much bushing was above the LCA and pressed new ones to same depth).

edit: I also ordered replacement LCA from rockauto for ~$60 a side and pressed the BFI bushings into those, then swapped the entire LCA into the car. I only did this to minimize downtime of the car in case I had trouble swapping the bushings

Were these the ones you used for the RCA's in combo with (x4) BFI bushings?

1646259388786.png

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
I had the superpro bushings pressed in the factory arms. It was done the same time a lot of other modifications, but I don't think it added any (or maybe minimal) NVH to the car. I'd just save the money you're going to spend on the BFIs and just get superpros. Doesn't hurt they have a lifetime warranty regardless of how you use them, including track and competition use, so they should stand up to any abuse you can throw at them.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Were these the ones you used for the RCA's in combo with (x4) BFI bushings?

View attachment 241060

I think he means the rear bushing on the front control arm similar to what I just did but I’ll let him confirm. That one is the RS3 bushing that BFI sells

Yeah sorry - when I said rear I meant rear position of the front LCA. Looking on Rockauto now, the delphi ones are ~$65 per side and come with new OEM bushings you can save for a rainy day.