GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LED/ Red Footwell Light Install Project

MuscleToMouse94

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Looking to get some tips and suggestions for a project I have in mind for the interior. I’d like to swap the lights in the following areas with red LED bulbs:

- Floor area
- area under the door handle above the window buttons
- glove box (maybe, might just do white LED instead)

Let me know if there are distinguishable bulbs that would work and any advice as to swapping out the lights!

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
- Floor area lights (I'm assuming you mean the footwells)... RGB footwell lights from DeAutokey are the simplest solution... color change via small remote
- Door handle light is PN 5G0947356D, you can find them new for ~$20 (MSRP is $42),
--- I would buy one to play with before tearing apart my door panels
--- https://www.repuestoscarsjt.com/MLA...adores-original-volkswagenaudi-5g0947356d-_JM (to see what the assembly looks like)
- Glove box internal light? Can't help but any red drop in LED that's the same form factor/connection type should work I suppose

Last edited:

MuscleToMouse94

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
- Floor area lights (I'm assuming you mean the footwells)... RGB footwell lights from DeAutokey are the simplest solution... color change via small remote
- Door handle light is PN 5G0947356D, you can find them new for ~$20 (MSRP is $42),
--- I would buy one to play with before tearing apart my door panels
--- https://www.repuestoscarsjt.com/MLA...adores-original-volkswagenaudi-5g0947356d-_JM (to see what the assembly looks like)
- Glove box internal light? Can't help but any red drop in LED that's the same form factor/connection type should work I suppose

Do you have the model # for the LED in the glovebox? I can probably find or produce a red drop for it that way.

MuscleToMouse94

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
PERFECT, thank ya!

MuscleToMouse94

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Update on items procured (or on its way):
- footwell lights (thank you daconchslop)
- Glove box (went with white LED)
- Trunk (white LED as well)

Now its just the door handle light that has become tricky. Model number is on this thread but can’t find a red light online. I have a ffiend who might be able to get one. I’ll make sure to keep the thread updated and do some before/ after pics.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I don't think it comes in red, you'll have to do something custom. The Golf(s) didn't come with any colored lighting...

I have a thread where I'm attempting to do it in a OEM fashion, probably won't end up working, haha. There's another thread using an AliExpress kit that works well and looks really good. Without looking I don't recall if it included RGB door handle lights. Just search ambient lighting in the cosmetic mods forum.

MuscleToMouse94

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Update: LED light for the trunk came in. Took about two seconds but it makes a huge difference:
1643846547650.jpeg

MuscleToMouse94

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
So I might be giving up on finding a bulb/ hardware for the bulb located under the door handle (arm rest/ window button area). However, I found a thread on here trying to accomplish the same goal. Seems they tried to find either plastic red covers or transparent tape of a sort to cover the bulb. If anyone has ideas for this, post up!

MuscleToMouse94

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI

MuscleToMouse94

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Another update: packages from ECS with glove box LED bulb and from @daconchslop arrived, so even though we had sub-30 temps today, the lights were going to be installed. Looked up a quick “how to” video to double check before I began and got going. Glovebox light took no time at all, only ran into one VERY slight issue with the plastic housing for the bulb but it was very fixable.

In the how to video I watched, the guy hosting the video mentioned that after installing the bulbs, the plastic housing would refuse to fit over the other plastic piece. He wasn’t kidding, but for some reason mine acted a serious fool compared to what he showed.
1644094875264.jpeg

On the left you can see how much the housing comes up from the transparent piece. My OCD senses were going off, so I decided to create a solution so that the housing wouldn’t completely come off. So I took some medium grade sandpaper and sanded down the plastic piece interfering with connecting to the other piece.

1644095121909.jpeg

As you can see, theres no nub left on the right side. This allowed the two clips on the black piece to meet with it’s place on the transparent piece. It’s not perfect but it offers some piece of mind knowing that it wont come off completely.

Anyway, I’ll post up the results later when its dark out.

Last edited:

MuscleToMouse94

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Another update: Footwell and glove box lights came out great!
1644165281883.jpeg

1644165307319.jpeg

1644165336791.jpeg

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
I made my footwell lights red too, love it !!