GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looking to get back into a fast Golf

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I just paid $30,500 OTD for a new 2021 GLI Autobahn for the wife. I know you said GTI or R, but used prices are insane right now and the GLI is by far the best value in 2021 MQB offerings

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
After driving MKV and MKVI GTIs for years and having left the brand a few years back I'm looking to joining again. I'm approaching 40 now so looking into a used R or a new GTI Autobahn (some heavy discounts locally....one dealer is selling a 2021 demo with 1k miles for $28k).

What's a fair price for a 2019 R? A local dealer has a blue 2019 R with DSG and 19k miles and they want $38k, I offered $35,5 but they refused. Another car I'm eyeing is a 2021 GTI Autobahn with 1000 miles on it (it was a dealer demo) for $28k. The problem with the Autobahn is that it's black and I want to get away from black cars (my MKVI was black and my current car is as well).

• What is a fair price for a used R? Am I off base with my offer?
  • Should I consider the GTI (afraid of always regretting not getting the R)?

Really $2,500 is a fart in the wind on 35-38k car. If you're financing the whole thing, with a low interest rate, the price is nominal. Even if you're not financing, it's such a small difference in the big picture. If you want it, get it. Is haggling over 7% really that big of a deal? Would you haggle over the price of a beer if it were 7% higher in cost than what it was 2 years ago?

My house I paid $150k for is now worth almost $300k. It's the market across the board.

But if you want a new sedan, the market is your to have.

Got Boost

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Deals are out there if you look hard. I picked up a spotless 2017 Golf R with 42k last week for 27k. Dealer wanted more but I’d been sitting on their lot since mid December. Initially I wanted a 2018 for the 7 speed and digital display but couldn’t find one for less than mid 30s

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Deals are out there if you look hard. I picked up a spotless 2017 Golf R with 42k last week for 27k. Dealer wanted more but I’d been sitting on their lot since mid December. Initially I wanted a 2018 for the 7 speed and digital display but couldn’t find one for less than mid 30s
This was my experience. I had been looking for a year before I purchased. I couldn’t find any in my area. I was in talk with a dealer about 175 miles away but that fell through. I kept looking and prices kept climbing. I started working with a salesman local to me. He told me good luck but would keep an eye out. My buddy came across mine. It was on their lot for 2 months. It’s a ‘16 with 22,000 and I wanted the facelift cars for the same reason you did. I could retrofit the dash leaving only the 7 speed out of the picture. Wasn't worth the $5k+ I would pay more for the car so I grabbed mine.

The R doesnt sit around in the NE region, or didn’t since I stopped following the trends. There was more than a few times listings would hit CarGurus or cars and there were no pics. I would swing over to the dealers site and nothing. Give a call and the car is sold. It was a nuts time.

RMinNJ

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI S
OMG... you made me look and even my used base 2018 S is worth more than I paid. But if I were to sell what
would I buy... both the GTIs and Rs are all up there is price.

I say anyone that has a car they like now or finds one they like...its worth every penny...life is too short.

RudyH

Go Kart Champion
Ya this is the biggest problem right now, there is a lot of money ready to be spent (including stimulus), but with COVID the supply chains are blocked, and there isn't a lot of product / materials not coming in. People are more than willing to pay over market values. Needless to say, if you are lucky you will find something, but to get advice on prices etc it shot in the dark. A friend of mine that has been a GM for a used car company for many years, said he has never seen anything like it ever. Most of the demand is in the US, but because it's creating a shortage for cars he generally brings north to Canada, he said it's driving used car prices here too.

IMO, I would wait for the MK8, unless the market starts relaxing in the summer / fall. The MK8 is better, and to buy a used car at near new levels, the MK7 isn't really worth it tbh...

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
  • What is a fair price for a used R? Am I off base with my offer?
I'm in the Phoenix area. When late model Rs do come up for sale (20k or less miles), most are asking about 36 - 42k. You prob won't find one for less than that. If you are willing to take on a car with more miles, you can find '17 or '18 Rs with around 30k miles in the low 30s price wise. I doubt you will see these prices fall much until the MK8 comes over. If you want a car between $20-$30k you will be looking at 60k + miles. Not sure how new you'd like the car to be.

When I was shopping for my R in 2019, the GTI Autobahn trim was going for around $36 grand. If you can get one for $28 or lower, I'd jump all over that. The only question you have to ask yourself is whether or not you want a Golf R? Is the difference in price and the fact that you are getting a used car worth it?
  • Should I consider the GTI (afraid of always regretting not getting the R)?
I would consider it based on the fact that you can get one brand new. You would have to pony up a lot more cash for a low mile R, and the car would be used. I see new ones that people have put away come up for sale from time to time, but you are going to pay a huge premium for one. A brand new spectrum R came up for sale about six months ago in the Phoenix area by a race shop, they wanted 45k for the car. I would never pay that.

You may want to hold out for the MK8 R if you really have to have an R. Though, I don't like the styling as much, and the haptic feedback buttons are terrible. I sat in an ID.4 last week which has the exact same haptic buttons and I didn't like them at all. They are slow, don't click, and feel like hitting an electronic home button on a cell phone. Just not my style. I have a feeling that things will be pretty clunky trying to navigate through different interfaces in the car, especially if you are driving.

An Autobahn GTI for under 30k is a great deal. You may even be able to talk them down some. The MK8 R is more than likely going to be in the mid 40s to 50k. If you are willing to wait and pay the premium, that would be your other option. Also, remember that you will be getting the factory warranty on a new car.

Edit:

I paid $38.5 for my R almost 2 years ago. Here's how much it's worth now.

R Private.PNG

R Trade In.PNG

Last edited:

Jens0n

Go Kart Newbie
OP, been there done that - looks like you have an itch to scratch with the R!
Don't go kidding yourself it's a decision for the head over the heart, life's to short..
Buy another GTI and suffer buyers remorse for duration of owning wishing you'd bought the R.

Both great cars, but you want the R, don't you =o)
J.

fauMkVGTI

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Golf R
Really $2,500 is a fart in the wind on 35-38k car. If you're financing the whole thing, with a low interest rate, the price is nominal. Even if you're not financing, it's such a small difference in the big picture. If you want it, get it. Is haggling over 7% really that big of a deal? Would you haggle over the price of a beer if it were 7% higher in cost than what it was 2 years ago?

My house I paid $150k for is now worth almost $300k. It's the market across the board.

But if you want a new sedan, the market is your to have.

I pay cash, so $2500 matters. That could be invested somewhere else. I think it's the whole "Oh I can finance this $60k depreciating asset for 84 months" that has gotten us into this overheated market. I'm an economist by trade and am seeing this whole thing implode in the next couple of years.

I did go drive the GTI and was underwhelmed so I'm definitely going for the R.

Got Boost

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
This was my experience. I had been looking for a year before I purchased. I couldn’t find any in my area. I was in talk with a dealer about 175 miles away but that fell through. I kept looking and prices kept climbing. I started working with a salesman local to me. He told me good luck but would keep an eye out. My buddy came across mine. It was on their lot for 2 months. It’s a ‘16 with 22,000 and I wanted the facelift cars for the same reason you did. I could retrofit the dash leaving only the 7 speed out of the picture. Wasn't worth the $5k+ I would pay more for the car so I grabbed mine.

The R doesnt sit around in the NE region, or didn’t since I stopped following the trends. There was more than a few times listings would hit CarGurus or cars and there were no pics. I would swing over to the dealers site and nothing. Give a call and the car is sold. It was a nuts time.
I literally fell into this one. Was searching for an R up and down the east coast, finding nothing with low miles and the options I wanted for a decent price. Then I find one only 55 miles away in MD. They said the price was firm because it was an awesome deal, and they had already lowered the price. It was and they had. But the Car Fax said they had been sitting on it since Christmas. Offered them almost a grad less than they wanted and they took it.

zucchinies

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 A3
I just paid $30,500 OTD for a new 2021 GLI Autobahn for the wife. I know you said GTI or R, but used prices are insane right now and the GLI is by far the best value in 2021 MQB offerings
Wow, you got a better price than a buddy of mine and he had a family member give him an employee discount. Nice steal!

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I literally fell into this one. Was searching for an R up and down the east coast, finding nothing with low miles and the options I wanted for a decent price. Then I find one only 55 miles away in MD. They said the price was firm because it was an awesome deal, and they had already lowered the price. It was and they had. But the Car Fax said they had been sitting on it since Christmas. Offered them almost a grad less than they wanted and they took it.
They told me the price is firm and they mostly stuck to it. I was able to get $400 off since they lost one of the keys. I need to replace that come to think of it. Once I stopped pushing for one, it was rather fortunate I found this. There were a good amount of rats I came across and people were still buying them up.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
I pay cash, so $2500 matters. That could be invested somewhere else. I think it's the whole "Oh I can finance this $60k depreciating asset for 84 months" that has gotten us into this overheated market. I'm an economist by trade and am seeing this whole thing implode in the next couple of years.

I did go drive the GTI and was underwhelmed so I'm definitely going for the R.

After selling my E46 M3 for more than I paid, which included adding mileage and racing it, it allowed me to pay cash for my R and then some.

But my perspective is life is short. House is paid, foods on the table, daughters finished school, clothes on the back, enjoyment behind the wheel. While $2k isn’t chump change in my life, it wouldn’t be enough to haggle over if I found the setup I was looking for. I paid the sellers asking price, because I felt it was fair given the market at the time, which prices have already gone up since.

Get what makes you happy, but I get it, you need to be happy with what your fork over.

I’ll tap out, as I have nothing to contribute here. Good luck with your search, and I agree the R is a better option over the GTI.

fauMkVGTI

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Golf R
After selling my E46 M3 for more than I paid, which included adding mileage and racing it, it allowed me to pay cash for my R and then some.

But my perspective is life is short. House is paid, foods on the table, daughters finished school, clothes on the back, enjoyment behind the wheel. While $2k isn’t chump change in my life, it wouldn’t be enough to haggle over if I found the setup I was looking for. I paid the sellers asking price, because I felt it was fair given the market at the time, which prices have already gone up since.

Get what makes you happy, but I get it, you need to be happy with what your fork over.

I’ll tap out, as I have nothing to contribute here. Good luck with your search, and I agree the R is a better option over the GTI.
No worries, no harm no foul. I'll definitely keep everyone posted on what I'll find. Who knows, might just wait for things to cool off a bit once the Mk8 hits the market.