GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looking for the location of the stock catalytic converter

Sc0oter

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 alltrack se
We are having a rash of cat thefts in our area. I am going to install devices on my other vehicles with exposed cats but wonder about my golf alltrack. I have read that the cat is in the engine compartment behind the turbo? If it is in the compartment, it should be almost impossible to easily steal. Thoughts?
thank you in advance
2017 alltrack with manual transmission and 1.8 TSI
scooter

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
You have two cats. One is inches away from the turbo, which like you said, would be nearly impossible to steal. The other is underneath the car, which could be accessible to a theif.

It looks similar to this:

mqb-fwd-downpipe.png

That second one is the one that would be accessible.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
We are having a rash of cat thefts in our area. I am going to install devices on my other vehicles with exposed cats but wonder about my golf alltrack. I have read that the cat is in the engine compartment behind the turbo? If it is in the compartment, it should be almost impossible to easily steal. Thoughts?
thank you in advance
2017 alltrack with manual transmission and 1.8 TSI
scooter
This is what someone who wants to steal cats would ask.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
This is what someone who wants to steal cats would ask.

There's one YouTube video about cat theft that goes over what it is, why it happens, how and whatnot... And the guy says "Ok, I basically just taught you all how to steal catalytic converters, but please don't go do it!"

Sc0oter

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 alltrack se
Seriously, I’m out of town (miles away from my golf), my wife has been bugging me to get something to protect our converters after multiple thefts have been reported in our hood. I just ordered several kits for our cars and wondered if I really needed one for the vw. Honestly the vw worries me the least as it sits so low to the ground and the stuff seems packed so tight under the car. We have a diesel pickup and an explorer that have much more ground clearance (don’t have to jack the car up). Already painted the cats orange per the local PD (though I don’t know what that would do). The mrs reminded me the truck DPF cost more than $2000 to replace not to mention my blown gasket if I found it missing. Will post the end result after installation.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Seriously, I’m out of town (miles away from my golf), my wife has been bugging me to get something to protect our converters after multiple thefts have been reported in our hood. I just ordered several kits for our cars and wondered if I really needed one for the vw. Honestly the vw worries me the least as it sits so low to the ground and the stuff seems packed so tight under the car. We have a diesel pickup and an explorer that have much more ground clearance (don’t have to jack the car up). Already painted the cats orange per the local PD (though I don’t know what that would do). The mrs reminded me the truck DPF cost more than $2000 to replace not to mention my blown gasket if I found it missing. Will post the end result after installation.
Wonder how long that paint will last at the catalytic convertor temperatures? What kind of paint did they say to use?

Sc0oter

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 alltrack se
It is interesting the amount of fines and penalties the government hammers owners with when they bypass or remove emissions equipment. Maybe they could focus some of that anger against thieves as well. Our local PD doesn’t have much interest.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
The scrappers don't even have plausible deniability if they were to be accused of being complicit in the theft.

Like you don't know the guy who brought you 10 of these stole them somewhere. 😐

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
I was going to say order a catless downpipe, install it, and bring your cats inside. The thieves would never look there.

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn
I think the best protection from cat theft is to lower the car. Make 'em take another hard look at the pickup down the street.