GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looking for the location of the stock catalytic converter

coniglio rampante

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit Edit
Seriously, I’m out of town (miles away from my golf), my wife has been bugging me to get something to protect our converters after multiple thefts have been reported in our hood. I just ordered several kits for our cars and wondered if I really needed one for the vw. Honestly the vw worries me the least as it sits so low to the ground and the stuff seems packed so tight under the car. We have a diesel pickup and an explorer that have much more ground clearance (don’t have to jack the car up). Already painted the cats orange per the local PD (though I don’t know what that would do). The mrs reminded me the truck DPF cost more than $2000 to replace not to mention my blown gasket if I found it missing. Will post the end result after installation.
A timely topic. Any update on the device selected or installation?

Sc0oter

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 alltrack se
Ultimately I didn’t install one on my VW. After looking at the geometry of the system, the need to remove cladding from the bottom, and the low ground clearance I determined that car was less of a risk than my other vehicles. In the end I bought a product called the “cat strap”. Basically a large bundle of stainless braided cables that is wrapped in an orange vinyl like sleeve that you clamp around your exhaust system. It’s not designed to make it impossible to cut out your cat but to make it a giant PITA. According to the website, the cables can be cut with a saw or grinder but they bind up the blade/cutting wheel which takes time (and makes a lot of noise). Again, make it more of a hassle than it is worth. I have installed two on my trucks so far and the process is rather simple. The kit comes with the cable bundle and several metal zip tie like bands. They recommend adding exhaust clamps but those are not included as everyone has different sized pipes and it would be a pain to include all sizes of clamps. The clamps I bought were easily located at my nearby auto part store. I bought 3 normal sized kits (about 6’ long) and one large size for my Dodge diesel. In the end that jumbo sized one was really unnecessary and the standard one would have worked fine. I’m not worried about protecting the ENTIRE length of my exhaust. If they want to steal the tip of the pipe so be it. The clamps and bands are solid. At first look the bands look weak but they hold solid and are really tough to cut with tin snips. They bind up the blades though a grinder would go right through them. With the exhaust clamps, again, you can cut them with a grinder or saw but it takes time. I have seen other installs online and most use multiple clamps. Safety in numbers. I used four on each vehicle but you can add as many as you like. I cinched them down as tight as I dared without breaking the bolts. Another level of safety might be to weld the nuts solid or add another locknut as a jam nut but place it upside down so that a socket can’t be used to remove it. A pair of open end wrenches would be needed for install or removal…. Again make it a pain for the thief and hopefully they will leave it alone. The sleeve that encases the cable is colored orange (visible warning?) and reminds me of the sheathing aircraft manufacturers put on high temp pneumatic lines. The stuff melts to the cat and is advertised as another way of making it hard to remove. I will post some pics soon. I think the solid cages are more protective but this is definitely easier to install and is more affordable. Time will tell if it works as advertised.

coniglio rampante

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit Edit
Ultimately I didn’t install one on my VW. After looking at the geometry of the system, the need to remove cladding from the bottom, and the low ground clearance I determined that car was less of a risk than my other vehicles. In the end I bought a product called the “cat strap”. Basically a large bundle of stainless braided cables that is wrapped in an orange vinyl like sleeve that you clamp around your exhaust system. It’s not designed to make it impossible to cut out your cat but to make it a giant PITA. According to the website, the cables can be cut with a saw or grinder but they bind up the blade/cutting wheel which takes time (and makes a lot of noise). Again, make it more of a hassle than it is worth. I have installed two on my trucks so far and the process is rather simple. The kit comes with the cable bundle and several metal zip tie like bands. They recommend adding exhaust clamps but those are not included as everyone has different sized pipes and it would be a pain to include all sizes of clamps. The clamps I bought were easily located at my nearby auto part store. I bought 3 normal sized kits (about 6’ long) and one large size for my Dodge diesel. In the end that jumbo sized one was really unnecessary and the standard one would have worked fine. I’m not worried about protecting the ENTIRE length of my exhaust. If they want to steal the tip of the pipe so be it. The clamps and bands are solid. At first look the bands look weak but they hold solid and are really tough to cut with tin snips. They bind up the blades though a grinder would go right through them. With the exhaust clamps, again, you can cut them with a grinder or saw but it takes time. I have seen other installs online and most use multiple clamps. Safety in numbers. I used four on each vehicle but you can add as many as you like. I cinched them down as tight as I dared without breaking the bolts. Another level of safety might be to weld the nuts solid or add another locknut as a jam nut but place it upside down so that a socket can’t be used to remove it. A pair of open end wrenches would be needed for install or removal…. Again make it a pain for the thief and hopefully they will leave it alone. The sleeve that encases the cable is colored orange (visible warning?) and reminds me of the sheathing aircraft manufacturers put on high temp pneumatic lines. The stuff melts to the cat and is advertised as another way of making it hard to remove. I will post some pics soon. I think the solid cages are more protective but this is definitely easier to install and is more affordable. Time will tell if it works as advertised.
Thanks for the detailed update. Agreed, though anything can be stolen, the higher trucks/SUV’s etc. likely need the deterrence more. Good luck.

Sc0oter

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 alltrack se
Update…… had to remove the cat strap from my truck (emissions tester had to remove the DPF and wouldnt touch the anti theft device). Took me about 20 minutes to remove. The exhaust clamps worked great but the stainless bands were rather simple to break off. Though the tin snips wouldnt cut through, it only took twisting them one time with leverage snapping the bands. In hindsight I will only use those bands to hold the strap in place before attaching the exhaust clamps. I will be adding more clamps. will update again when the e test is done and I get my truck back.

8T_BoCO

Passed Driver's Ed
Thieves suck. RE: difficulty of Cat removal - some thieves just escalate to GTA - a family we know had their CRV stolen & recovered at a park not far away; only their Cat removed. The post above about lowered suspension has me thinking...

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Cat theft deterrent-
03966E03-53F1-485F-B570-6D68DC3A745A.jpeg
AC139CA6-5635-4CAC-B545-A42ADB6F9F1C.jpeg

Sc0oter

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 alltrack se
Further update.… I purchased the cat straps some time ago and like many things, they ended up on my work bench waiting for a day to be installed. Two weeks ago some a hole stole the cat off my neighbor’s Prius and that was the incentive I needed. Overall my vw was the easiest of the vehicles I had to deal with. One straight pipe with only a few minor bends. I did have to shorten the strap with a chop saw but it was easily installed with multiple exhaust clamps and the included stainless steel zip ties. Other vehicles with multiple cats and Y pipes make the install more difficult. The hardest thing was getting my fat a$$ under the car to do the work. As mentioned above, the low ground clearance is a deterrence.