GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looking for spark plug heat range recommendation

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Hi guys,
Hopefully someone with tuning experience can help me out.

When I'm done installing my mods, my engine will have:
- JB4 Map6 tune
- Front mounted intercooler
- 034 intake pipe and intake tube (stock air box and filter)
- Ultimate Racing ceramic cat downpipe

Which heat range spark plug should I be using? The stock one, or one range colder (RS7 plug)?

I'm new to this tuning thing, and want to set it up so it's reliable, and safe for the engine (safety more important than maximum HP).

Thanks!!

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
The one that Diggs recommended is the stock heat range and is the best choice for you. You don't need a colder plug.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Thanks. So stock heat range it is!
Now the next question. Is the plug that diggs recommended the ACTUAL stock plug, or just the stock temperature range, but different plug? Is the plug he recommended a upgrade in technology?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Thanks. So stock heat range it is!
Now the next question. Is the plug that diggs recommended the ACTUAL stock plug, or just the stock temperature range, but different plug? Is the plug he recommended a upgrade in technology?
It is not the stock plug and I don't know that it's an upgrade in technology but everyone who has used them likes them a lot and they cost less than the stock plugs which are also made by NGK.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
By the way, for others looking, Rockauto.com has these for $7.62 each!!

dunkelweizen

Go Kart Newbie
Still under $10 per plug which is a good deal.
Don't forget to gap them though I noticed it said the gap was at 032. You'll want 028 or 024 if you're tuned.

Yeah, I used a cheap $5 gap "tool" from local auto parts store and it showed about .029, but when my mechanic measured it with his gap tool from Snap-On, it measured .031 out of the box. I had them adjusted to .028"

morricus

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI
How much is shipping?
I just bought 4 of them 5 minutes ago. It was $3.99 for USPS (which is garbage and likely to take three weeks to get to you) or $7.99 for Fedex Ground. I splurged on the extra $4 and went Fedex so I'd actually get the plugs.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I just bought 4 of them 5 minutes ago. It was $3.99 for USPS (which is garbage and likely to take three weeks to get to you) or $7.99 for Fedex Ground. I splurged on the extra $4 and went Fedex so I'd actually get the plugs.
Thanks for that. And you're right I recently had 2 deliveries lost in the USPS system.