GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looking for a good set of tires!

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I’m in Vegas going through our “winter” now and the PS4S has still been great. Hands downs best tire I’ve ever owned for all around reasons (no snow or freezing temps). Paid 809 out the door from Costco during a special so yeah, quite pricey but for me it was worth it.

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Running Continental DWS06 for winters and Extreme Contact Sport for summers, both have worked very well in the rain and dry traction. Have not experienced the noise problem mentioned by others but to each his own.

Dbpgti1

Passed Driver's Ed
All-season... but no mountain trips?

You have the usual suspects:
Michelin Pilot A/S 3
Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06

A more unconventional choice would be Nokian Z-line A/S (and can be more budget friendly, depending on where you buy them)
For mt trips, what would you recommend?

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
For mt trips, what would you recommend?

In the context of California.... R2 is going to require chains. But during R1 conditions, if you're willing to take a trade-off in the other 3-season grip, I would look at an all-weather tire, such as Nokian WR G4, Vredestein Quatrac Pro, or Michelin CrossClimate+

jurotek

Take a look at General Altimax RT43 with 75,000 mile tread life warranty. Great tire for reasonable price.
Much better than Conti ProContact that came on my Golf when I bought it new.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
Just put the pirelli pzero "all season plus" on my golf R, so far so good.... they seem like the choice for best overall A/S
just in time for the winter, only have a thousand miles, but now I need to go a ridiculous speeds to be stupid
The car still had the OEM bridgestone "Potenza S04 Pole Position" from new, already cracking in the sidewall from age...
Its a summer tire, and the car was from DC...it did 3 winters there (20k mi), and then i put another 10k miles here in a year...
they where almost legally bald, but also where abysmal... the grip with the new pirellis now seems impossible....
Tire Rack's test put those pirellis as pretty much the best overall A/S, especially if you consider more rolling resistance / better mpg....
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=216 and https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=230
Over 5% they claim that the bridgestones in mpg..... If the car slips a bit, its fine... sorry officer it was my shitty tires :)

Last edited:

car2fast4you

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI 6MT
My 2nd car is a 2008 Corvette. I have summer tires/wheels for warm weather, and all-season tires/wheels for cold weather. I don't track the car.

For my all-seasons, I first tried the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+, run-flats. I hated them. While they were very quick in responding to steering input, and gripped well in corners, they had a harsh ride, made loud thumping sounds over cracks in the road, and had a constant noisy tread growl. I took them back. However, keep in mind that the fact that they were run-flats may have a lot to do with my dis-likes.

I replaced them with the Continental Extreme Contact DWS06, non-run-flats. What a difference.....They are fairly quiet (although not totally silent), they ride very smoothly, and they have about 80% of the gripping capability of my summer tires. If I didn't have separate summer tires/wheels for my Vette, I would be very happy running the DWS06 as my only tire.

My summer tires are the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S non-run-flats. I don't know how you could build a better tire. They have immense amounts of traction & cornering grip, they are extremely quiet, and they ride very quiet & comfortably.

When I replace the OEM Bridgestones on my GTI, I will probably try the A/S 3+ again. They are definitely higher performance than the Continentals. I'm hoping that they are quieter & less harsh riding inn the non-run-flat standard version.

Last edited: