GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
  • Has your username changed as part of the site merger and want it changed back? If the other version of your username isn't being used, send Gulfer a PM and we can probably fix it for you

Looking for a good set of tires!

Captain_kid

Hey guys. I’m new to owning a VW GTI MK7 and am looking for a good set of tires that won’t break the bank but can perform well. Please help out I greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

lou06483

Ready to race!
you'll get LOTS of opinions on this---
FWIW-I would recommend the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. YES they're a bit pricey but work very well. I use them on both my Audi S4 and GTI.
I use to be a big fan of Continentals but finally tired of the excessive tire noise when the tires start to approach 1/2 of thread depth---I changed the DW's on the GTI to the PS 4S when there was a bit more than 1/2 of the thread depth remaining---The Audi wasn't quite as bad as the GTI but in the VW it was sounding like a bad wheel bearing.....
The gut at the tire shop though I was crazy---I had the GTI in on a Monday and the Audi on Wednesday of the same week....
It's the old adage----you get what you pay for....

Captain_kid

you'll get LOTS of opinions on this---
FWIW-I would recommend the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. YES they're a bit pricey but work very well. I use them on both my Audi S4 and GTI.
I use to be a big fan of Continentals but finally tired of the excessive tire noise when the tires start to approach 1/2 of thread depth---I changed the DW's on the GTI to the PS 4S when there was a bit more than 1/2 of the thread depth remaining---The Audi wasn't quite as bad as the GTI but in the VW it was sounding like a bad wheel bearing.....
The gut at the tire shop though I was crazy---I had the GTI in on a Monday and the Audi on Wednesday of the same week....
It's the old adage----you get what you pay for....
That’s some great info there! I was leaning towards continentals but you provided some good info. I would too get annoyed if there was tire noise. Might go for the Michelin instead. Thanks!

JerseyDrew77

Drag Racing Champion
The Michelin PS4S is only a summer tire and not an All-Season tire.

Your top 2 AS tires are Michelin A/S 3+ and Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06.

jimlloyd40

Drag Racing Champion
Ride
2018 SE DSG
Well I live in California so it hardly ever rains and it definitely doesn’t snow so I can do with summer tires too.
The summer tires are more expensive. How much do you want to spend? I have the Michelin AS 3 + and am happy with them. 45K treadwear warranty and priced around $140 each.

El_bigote_AJ

Go Kart Newbie
I’m in Vegas going through our “winter” now and the PS4S has still been great. Hands downs best tire I’ve ever owned for all around reasons (no snow or freezing temps). Paid 809 out the door from Costco during a special so yeah, quite pricey but for me it was worth it.

OldVWFan

Passed Driver's Ed
Running Continental DWS06 for winters and Extreme Contact Sport for summers, both have worked very well in the rain and dry traction. Have not experienced the noise problem mentioned by others but to each his own.

Dbpgti1

All-season... but no mountain trips?

You have the usual suspects:
Michelin Pilot A/S 3
Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06

A more unconventional choice would be Nokian Z-line A/S (and can be more budget friendly, depending on where you buy them)
For mt trips, what would you recommend?