GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looking at used MK7 GTIs

Norsk982

Ready to race!
Hello,

I am testing the water to trade my 2019 Jetta SEL with Cold Weather for a used 2016-2017 GTI Sport or S with DSG or Manual. I used to own '16 GTI SE PP with 6MT, and it was the biggest mistake of my life for trading the GTI for a jetta due to 500 miles a week commute which i dont do that anymore. The jetta is great for long commute so I feel like death in this car, haha.

What do you think? Keep the jetta and pay off or find a GTI that will match what im paying for the jetta?

Aphron

CW :)!
I never base off payments, more so what the car will cost altogether. But only you can decide if trading in a new car is worth it to you. For what it’s worth, I had a Chevy Cruze 2012 even tuned that thing was god awful slow, after having a GTI and r32.. I kept it for 3 years then upgraded to another GTI, negative equity sucks and not worth it. Unless your Jetta is above water I’d prolly rock it until a GTI is affordable, but you only live once so do whatever you want! Love being back in a GTI again, worth the wait!

Norsk982

Ready to race!
I never base off payments, more so what the car will cost altogether. But only you can decide if trading in a new car is worth it to you. For what it’s worth, I had a Chevy Cruze 2012 even tuned that thing was god awful slow, after having a GTI and r32.. I kept it for 3 years then upgraded to another GTI, negative equity sucks and not worth it. Unless your Jetta is above water I’d prolly rock it until a GTI is affordable, but you only live once so do whatever you want! Love being back in a GTI again, worth the wait!

I agree with you! Jetta do have negative equity between $500 and $1,000. Thats why I am looking for used GTI. A VW dealership offered $18k for the jetta trade in and another small dealer (non-Vw dealer, its a family owned that buy cars from auctuon and sell) offered $16,500 for the jetta trade in. They had '17 GTI Sport with 37k miles for sale for $20,260. Checking out another GTI Sport at VW dealership, its got 31k miles. Both are manual.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I think Jetta is having People's warranty and the GTIs you are looking at might be out of warranty. Will that factor into your deciding factor.

In any case, i would avoid trading in to a dealer. With some effort and time, you might be able to get a better number through a private party transaction.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
How are your financials? W/O insulting can you afford to loose the instant depriciation on what you just bought. If you can the few grand may be worth it. Reminder payments X time = real cost

Mud

Norsk982

Ready to race!
Wife said no, considering the monthly payment and length of loan. Not worth it to do so. Jetta have at least 50 months left, If I get a gti. it would be another 12 months longer. However, I may get a new job soon which requires longer commute or maybe a job that allows me to work from home. At the same time, we're looking to save $ for a new house.