GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looking at used GTI

JordanF6

Car(s)
Honda Civic
Hey, I'm in the market for looking at a used 2017 GTI manual trans near me and before I went to go check it out, I wanted some on advice on it because it's got a over 200k on the odometer but was only handled by one owner, so it may have been handled fairly well, you guys think it's too good to be true or could this be a good deal? Link for the listing :
Check out this listing on Autolist! https://www.autolist.com/listings/3...android&utm_medium=app&utm_campaign=vdp-share

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Price seems doable but paying less would still be key. Those miles have to be nearly 100% highway miles since they accumulated so fast.

Definitely would have to see the maintenance records. With that amount of miles some major services would have had to have been done already.

This isn't a car I would start a build on though, since it's most likely lived its entire life at 2500 rpm on the highway.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I would be extremely worried about the mileage. The link said 200,000 miles if that's correct I would absolutely recommend a compression test. Easily could cost more than the sales price for a new engine and installation.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
200K on a modern gasoline engine car is the upper limit. he's dumping for a reason. I keep saying "I want to drive my alltrack to 200K," and I know I'll dump it before then. Especially if they can't fix my sunroof leak.

Last edited:

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I think you'd be better off dropping 9K on a MK6 TDI vehicle with 30-60K miles on it, with a 48K mile Powertrain/Emissions warranty and have 300K+ remaining engine life to boot.

I got my girlfriend one of these last year and we love it. It hasn't had an issue yet, and it drives great. It's so weird to describe - it combines the feeling of an SUV/Pickup truck's diesel drivetrain (mounts + diesel power delivery), with the "sporty," fun character of a Golf. It had 30K miles and was $11,500. So she's covered under warranty till 78K miles. We're gonna drive it till the DPF dies, then delete the DPF + EGR but retain the OEM CATs. 37-40MPG stock with 130WHP, 230WTQ. 45-50 mpg tuned with 250WHP, 350WTQ.

And did I mention they go to 300, 400, 500K miles?

Last edited:

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
You should be looking at manual MK7 with like 60k or below. That’s just me. Anything above 100k is not worth it

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
Assuming this car was purchased in 2016, this person put 3,500-4,200 miles a month on this car depending on the month of purchase. What in the hell...

I would NOT buy this car haha, but it's nice to see a MK7 still kicking with 200,000 miles on it.

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
Like everyone said, hell tf no. Seeing 200k impresses me LOL. I hope my car can get there no hiccups like a toyota/honda

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
200K on a modern gasoline engine car is the upper limit. he's dumping for a reason. I keep saying "I want to drive my alltrack to 200K," and I know I'll dump it before then. Especially if they can't fix my sunroof leak.

I dunno about that. It's a lot, especially for a VW but I'd hardly call it upper limit.