GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looking at getting APR shifter cable bracket , need shifter cable bushing?

art_mark7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mark 7 GTI
I am looking at getting the APR shifter cable bracket to tighten up the shifter in my car - would it make sense to upgrade the shifter cable bushiings while I am at it?

Or should I just get the APR bracket see how it feels first?

Thanks!

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
I would start with the dieselgeek shifter shaft bushing and save the cable bracket for last

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
I agree with yira. Start with other parts before the cable bracket. Have you done anything else?

art_mark7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mark 7 GTI
bone stock for the shifter... the dieselgeek is similar to something torque solutions has right?
whats the reason for holding off on the bracket?

art_mark7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mark 7 GTI
I would start with the dieselgeek shifter shaft bushing and save the cable bracket for last

Good info - I need to look into DieselGeek more, their stuff is good...
it seems like an much easier install than a bracket / cable bushing.... i may start with that first and see how it feels.
Thanks!

art_mark7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mark 7 GTI
So I went ahead and purchased the following to solidify and take away excess plays in my shifting

- DG shifter shaft bushings
- DG super slider bushing
- torque solution shift cable end bushings
- torque solution shifter bracket bushings

I am debating if I should get the other 2
- OE euro shifter (10-15% advertised reduced throw)
- OE shifter cable bracket (metal vs plastic)

You all think replacing the last 2 items would make a big diff? If you add the shifter and bracket is another $130 on top of what I already spent in bushings.
holding off installations since I will be taking out the airbox/battery trey, etc..

Thanks!

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
So I went ahead and purchased the following to solidify and take away excess plays in my shifting

- DG shifter shaft bushings
- DG super slider bushing
- torque solution shift cable end bushings
- torque solution shifter bracket bushings

I am debating if I should get the other 2
- OE euro shifter (10-15% advertised reduced throw)
- OE shifter cable bracket (metal vs plastic)

You all think replacing the last 2 items would make a big diff? If you add the shifter and bracket is another $130 on top of what I already spent in bushings.
holding off installations since I will be taking out the airbox/battery trey, etc..

Thanks!
In my opinion (I've done everything on your list), you will see a huge difference from the DG super slider and the TS shift cable end bushings. The shaft bushings are a good upgrade as well, however the shifter bracket bushings will be a minimal difference.

I would recommend the OE euro shifter, it will keep the OE feel just slightly shorter, it is a good mod when paired with the rest of the upgrades.

Similar to the shifter bracket bushings, the shifter cable bracket won't be a significant upgrade, however I would go ahead and do it if you are doing the bushings anyway - you don't want to have to reinstall that bracket more than once. To save some money just buy the MK4 bracket, part # 1J0711789. I got mine from ebay for $25.

Overall, you have a good couple of projects on the table but you left out the most significant upgrade - the DG super pin. Requires a bit of work, removing the center console, but it is a great upgrade. Also, in my experience I have found that as you upgrade different parts of the shifter assembly, the parts that you do not upgrade become highlighted, it's really best to do everything.

One more thing, when you are finished with everything, don't forget to do an alignment of the shifter cables.

art_mark7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mark 7 GTI
In my opinion (I've done everything on your list), you will see a huge difference from the DG super slider and the TS shift cable end bushings. The shaft bushings are a good upgrade as well, however the shifter bracket bushings will be a minimal difference.

I would recommend the OE euro shifter, it will keep the OE feel just slightly shorter, it is a good mod when paired with the rest of the upgrades.

Similar to the shifter bracket bushings, the shifter cable bracket won't be a significant upgrade, however I would go ahead and do it if you are doing the bushings anyway - you don't want to have to reinstall that bracket more than once. To save some money just buy the MK4 bracket, part # 1J0711789. I got mine from ebay for $25.

Overall, you have a good couple of projects on the table but you left out the most significant upgrade - the DG super pin. Requires a bit of work, removing the center console, but it is a great upgrade. Also, in my experience I have found that as you upgrade different parts of the shifter assembly, the parts that you do not upgrade become highlighted, it's really best to do everything.

One more thing, when you are finished with everything, don't forget to do an alignment of the shifter cables.

Thanks for the insight, appreciate it.
I will look for the MK4 bracket, i'm assuming is metal as well?

art_mark7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mark 7 GTI
So finallt got the OEM euro short shifter, Torque solutions shifter cable bushing, DG shifter shaft bushing, DG, super slider installed last night.
Followed the instructions closely, the throws are shorter than I expected which is great.

Except one thing, the NEUTRAL to 3rd seems shorter than normal. When the car is parked just testing it seems fine.
But when I started driving it, the ->3 has very slight grind once in awhile, the rest of the gears are solid and firm and crisp.

Should I realign the shift cables? Or is this something that will eventually losen up? That feeling of possibility of grinding is not fun :(

Thanks !!!

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
So finallt got the OEM euro short shifter, Torque solutions shifter cable bushing, DG shifter shaft bushing, DG, super slider installed last night.
Followed the instructions closely, the throws are shorter than I expected which is great.

Except one thing, the NEUTRAL to 3rd seems shorter than normal. When the car is parked just testing it seems fine.
But when I started driving it, the ->3 has very slight grind once in awhile, the rest of the gears are solid and firm and crisp.

Should I realign the shift cables? Or is this something that will eventually losen up? That feeling of possibility of grinding is not fun :(

Thanks !!!
I'd realign the shifter/cable. I did not experience that in my '16 when I did it.

art_mark7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mark 7 GTI
so i did re-alignment - it seems to fix the 3rd issue, and seems to be more engaged while the shifter is in gears.

However, when I put the car in reverse, the shifter keep popping right back up. The gear is in R and when i depress the clutch the car goes backward like it supposed to, but I remmeber the shifter seems to stay down while the car is in R.

Now its a little awkward that it pop back up while the shifter is in R position.
Any idea? spring of the shifter it seems? i popped the knob up and checked but i cant tell if it is okay.