GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looking at a 2016 Golf SE tomorrow...

sirripo

Hey all, new to the forums and I'm going to check out a 2016 Golf SE with 80k miles on the clock this weekend. Just wanted to ask a few questions.

1) Remote start: is there a plug and play solution for this? I'd like to avoid dropping it at a shop, and I know for my wife's Mazda there is like a t harness setup that's pretty much plug and play with the factory harness and will use the factory fob.

2) Tuning: I'll be looking at probably adding an intake and doing a matching tune, what's the best bang for the buck on this front? Preferably something I can do at home. I see a lot of talk about the JB4, Cobb stuff, Neuspeed Power Module, etc. Anyone able to give me some pros/cons on the various options?

Ghawk

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI, 2019 GLI
No info on remote start. Actually not a big fan because more than a few seconds idling before driving off slowly is not recommended for best engine life with today’s synthetic oils. Had a few cars with this feature, but never used it.

My recommendation for tuning is APR. I have used their Stage One tunes on four VW’s with no issues either with the tune or the car, EXCEPT pretty much all tunes on the Mk7 GTI (including your ‘16) will require a stronger clutch because of big torque increase. Aftermarket intakes do nothing, at the Stage One level, except lighten your wallet. Actually, without knowledge of the maintenance history of your 80,000 mile car, tuning might be a bit risky. My tunes were all done on new cars.

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
Buy an 18-19, 7-70 warranty

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
These noob threads.. Sigh.

Isn't there a sticky post that noobs should be reading by now before making a first thread?

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
It’s Sunday - did you buy it OP? I can’t chime in on remote start, besides saying there is no “plug and play” options, as it’s not available on any MK7 trims in America.

we can talk about tunes once you buy the car. What do you want out of the car? Want any advice on what to look for on the platform, which model years are better for X, Y, Z reasons? Like the dude said above, an 18/19 model is gonna give you the best warranty and you won’t need to pay for an aftermarket one.

sirripo

It’s Sunday - did you buy it OP? I can’t chime in on remote start, besides saying there is no “plug and play” options, as it’s not available on any MK7 trims in America.

we can talk about tunes once you buy the car. What do you want out of the car? Want any advice on what to look for on the platform, which model years are better for X, Y, Z reasons? Like the dude said above, an 18/19 model is gonna give you the best warranty and you won’t need to pay for an aftermarket one.
I did end up picking it up! 2016 TSI in Night Blue Metallic (or at least best I can figure since it looks much darker than all of the Silk Blue cars I can find pics of), with 80k miles and the regular slushbox auto.
IMG_20210221_171505_094.jpg

Regarding the noob questions, I do apologize. I tried to do a fair bit of searching between here and Vortex but couldn't find much on the remote start, and it seemed like tuning options (and opinions) are all over the board with some people being a fan of the traditional APR/UM/Etc approach where a shop/dealer flashes it. And some people are loyal to the Cobb/JB4/power module/etc. Couldn't seem to find anything breaking down the real differences between them so I was looking for some opinions.

As for what I want out the car performance wise, I realize this isn't a GTI, so I'm not looking for much, really my biggest wish is maybe a little quicker throttle response and maybe a little more highway passing power (there are a lot of 2-lane county highways around here and getting stuck behind an older person doing 10 under for no reason is infuriating).

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
Damn seems like everything is on back order nowadays.
Yup! That's how I ended up with a motor mount instead of an RSB...the sway bar was backordered until the end of May. It all worked out in my favor though....but yeah during this whole pandemic it seems like everything car related is back ordered. I had some emblem decals that were back ordered too