Like a sieve

IMG_20220921_182303.jpg

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Jonnymk7.5

Go Kart Newbie
I have a 2019 with 18k miles on it and my coolant goes from full to low within 4 months, car always smells sweet like coolant. I just havent brought it in yet, but I am positive it needs a new waterpump.
Weird with these pumps. When new it lost coolant slightly.

RMinNJ

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI S
35k..always smell coolant . I assume its leaking but I think the dealer may top it up on every service..dont think they will check for leaks unless I complain or it's large. I assume all GTIs/Rs smell like coolant? I'm going to be that guy sniffing all VWs in the parking lot...

nosmirk

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
7.5 DSG
First one on my R56 let go around 8k, then evey 20k or so afterwards. Knock on wood, the GTI has been solid after initial top off.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I have a stock 18 S and modded 19 Rabbit, both are getting close to 30k miles, 18 was low on coolant last week, but no outward sign or smell of leak. Will watch. 19 no loss of coolant or sign on leaking.

Last edited:

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I have a stock 18 S and modded 19 Rabbit, both are getting close to 30k miles, 18 was low on coolant last week, but on outward sign or smell of leak. Will watch. 19 no loss of coolant or sign on leaking.
Mine never had a smell either. Just a very slow leak that left a dried residue trail from the housing down the front of the block and onto the bottom of the oil pan like the photo @Daks posted.

kyLman

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Golf
Noticed yesterday that I was smelling like coolant, checked the res... was at the min line. It probably leaked for a while, but I'm at 73k and driving 1k miles this weekend. Pray for me

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Just top it off, and keep some distilled water on hand. If it hasn't dipped significantly, recently, then it probably isn't that large of a concern.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Tagging @ReadTheBook (not sure how active they are around here anymore), but I seem to recall they had multiple cars with this issue and some were pretty early on.
Correct!
My wife and I have owned 4 MK7s - 2015 (60k miles total before trade) and 2016 (12k miles) Golfs, 2017 GTI sport (37k miles), 2019 Alltrack(currently 23k miles).

All of them suffered the same issue. My GTI being the worst of the bunch with coolant loss noted within the first 5000 miles. I topped up four or five times within the first 15,000 miles and ultimately that one was replaced three times for leaking and then once again when the motor lost cyl3 compression a bit at 37,000 miles.

3 of these cars have lost coolant within the first 10,000 miles. Our 2019 Alltrack (I only mk7 we have) has began the process about 8000 miles ago at ~15k miles. I decided I am not going to top it up and then I will take it in once the coolant light comes on. Its going slow but i can smell it so i know its happening. My dealer is going to do a deal for me to do the rear differential and haldex service and the front differential service all for about $300 bucks, So I will have this and a few other niggles addressed when it’s in for all those services around 25k miles. Unfortunately I’ve injured my arm so I can’t DIY. I’m supposed to lay off wrenching for quite a while.

all of that being said there is definitely going to be coolant smell on cars that might not have an issue because the coolant tank can vent into the engine bay as well but when you put your nose down in front of the motor where the manifold is and take a sniff you’ll smell it there, and that is where you know it’s leaking.

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
For the first few months of ownership, I've noticed a coolant smell and some what I assume was consumption. Filled it once and it's been fine since....knock on wood. 39K on the original.