GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Longer wearing tires for track

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I'm happy to say after getting re-acquainted with the limits of the new tires, I'm a now a fan of the Hankook RS4s. They might be ~1/2 worn after 8 track days (4 at VIR Full, 1 at Dominion, 2 at Watkins Glen, 1 at Summit Point Main). It was certainly a learning experience -- I also did front 034 camber mounts this season -- but now I'm all about it.

Easily at least 10% more grip than the Sumitomo HTR zIII's I had on before and fun in a different way. Making the transition was neat. I learned the RS4's do need more heat in them, and for me are most sticky after a couple of laps while holding there throughout a DE session. In contrast, the Sumitomos would get noticeably greasy after a few laps and slide while making progressively more and more noise towards the limit. While the RS4's are much quieter until they really let go. Close to the limit they begin to "whisper" with a faint squeal, then they will start yelling & sliding gently approaching and cresting the limit, so long as you're smooth. I wasn't my second lap out on these and got into a slide at the top of the uphill esses at VIR somewhere above 100, that made me remember smoothness is key and to take it easy.

If I can manage 14 total track days on these -- probably around 8k total miles at that time -- I'll feel good about getting my money's worth. 16 would be outstanding! A couple pictures I took last Sunday after pulling back into the VIR paddock and packing up after the last session, it was hot!

Rs4 are a solid tire. Glad to see, unlike other manufacturers, they haven't turned it into an autocross compound.

Fwiw, i know a few Enduro guys that run the rs4 and say it can easily do 4 hrs before grip starts to fall, and another 4 before they're totally toast. Definitely solid performance. I should have gone with them instead of the direzza, but you live and learn :eek:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
Any feedback on these? Have read mixed reviews
Sure, I love them.

I've been running them since that day. Various sizes, on different rims, conditions etc.

Imo they are one of the best tires out.

Sizing is consistent, Grip in either 100tw or 200tw is right on the money for the category.

I've done 10-12 events in a year with 5k travel in between on one set rotating as needed.

One thing to remember is they are a R-compound "street" tire. They do have an operating temperature and PSI to work with.

Being an R-compound they do need some heat to start really leaning on them. On track I always do at least 1.5 out laps to ensure temps are where they need to be.

Feedback through the wheel is very consistent across the life of the tire. Audio feedback at grip limits is noticeable and is helpful to understand how hard you are pushing.

Side walls will sustain plenty of kerbs, bumps, or w.e is on there and the treadlife is simply outstanding. the 200tw is super durable and handles well in the rain as well. We did a full 2 days at midohio in the rain and that's a deathtrap of a track when wet. These did very well given the conditions.

now for DD life.
Comfortable tire, they aren' ps4s in the comfort realm. You will feel the road n a good way. Above 40F they perform well, great braking capability and if you decide its carving time they are going to be there for you. GTI walks around 400whp and I can hook n launch at well even from a dig. (I do have a factory LSD for reference)

Cons on the street are its not super soft, so if u want that plush Pirelli ride these aren't that but they also don't cost nearly as much.

On track Cons- it's not "the" grippest 200tw tire compared to newer ones like a052 but these are half the cost and will absolutely outlast those ties in DD use. so its not a con. When you are searching for that last .20 it may factor but I can do 4 20min sessions in a day and have no worries about doing another four that same day. I can make up .20 just by being better behind the wheel.

https://tirestreets.com/products/accelera-651-sport

They've been supporting my team for the last few years and its been fun helping others step into the "performance" tire realm without having to empty the account.

The PHI and PHI-R are more street tire with "track" capabilities, compared to say an idy 500 they are quite a bit better than those but You can't push nearly as hard as you can on the 651.

Last two bits.
100tw version is simply fantastic in every way it just won't last that long as its super grippy.
Our team code is
"EASTHOOD" Save some cash up front if you try a pair.
<3

I hope that helps answer your question!

Attachments

• 0059_W7_3819.jpg
    0059_W7_3819.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 76

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Any feedback on these? Have read mixed reviews
i read quite a few reviews about them, and this review is pretty consistent: https://robspace.net/2019/11/25/review-accelera-651-sport-tires/

Basically, they can keep a decent pace when new, they'll last 24-30 sessions (3 weekends), and they're very noisy on the street. This is pretty typical with the other budget level tires, so they should work fine.

At this point I have run re71r, Direzza Z3, RS4, Yoko A052, r888r, and others. All the 200tw will last me 2-3 weekends at my current pace, with the faster tires lasting less. My a052 lasted 3 days, so not even two full weekends. Granted it was very hot and I had two 45 min sessions... r888r lasted a bit over 3 weekends, closer to 7 days total. Heat kills all 200tw tires, and 100tw seem to deal better for my current pace.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Sure, I love them.

I've been running them since that day. Various sizes, on different rims, conditions etc.

Imo they are one of the best tires out.

Sizing is consistent, Grip in either 100tw or 200tw is right on the money for the category.

I've done 10-12 events in a year with 5k travel in between on one set rotating as needed.

One thing to remember is they are a R-compound "street" tire. They do have an operating temperature and PSI to work with.

Being an R-compound they do need some heat to start really leaning on them. On track I always do at least 1.5 out laps to ensure temps are where they need to be.

Feedback through the wheel is very consistent across the life of the tire. Audio feedback at grip limits is noticeable and is helpful to understand how hard you are pushing.

Side walls will sustain plenty of kerbs, bumps, or w.e is on there and the treadlife is simply outstanding. the 200tw is super durable and handles well in the rain as well. We did a full 2 days at midohio in the rain and that's a deathtrap of a track when wet. These did very well given the conditions.

now for DD life.
Comfortable tire, they aren' ps4s in the comfort realm. You will feel the road n a good way. Above 40F they perform well, great braking capability and if you decide its carving time they are going to be there for you. GTI walks around 400whp and I can hook n launch at well even from a dig. (I do have a factory LSD for reference)

Cons on the street are its not super soft, so if u want that plush Pirelli ride these aren't that but they also don't cost nearly as much.

On track Cons- it's not "the" grippest 200tw tire compared to newer ones like a052 but these are half the cost and will absolutely outlast those ties in DD use. so its not a con. When you are searching for that last .20 it may factor but I can do 4 20min sessions in a day and have no worries about doing another four that same day. I can make up .20 just by being better behind the wheel.

https://tirestreets.com/products/accelera-651-sport

They've been supporting my team for the last few years and its been fun helping others step into the "performance" tire realm without having to empty the account.

The PHI and PHI-R are more street tire with "track" capabilities, compared to say an idy 500 they are quite a bit better than those but You can't push nearly as hard as you can on the 651.

Last two bits.
100tw version is simply fantastic in every way it just won't last that long as its super grippy.
Our team code is
"EASTHOOD" Save some cash up front if you try a pair.
<3

I hope that helps answer your question!
i read quite a few reviews about them, and this review is pretty consistent: https://robspace.net/2019/11/25/review-accelera-651-sport-tires/

Basically, they can keep a decent pace when new, they'll last 24-30 sessions (3 weekends), and they're very noisy on the street. This is pretty typical with the other budget level tires, so they should work fine.

At this point I have run re71r, Direzza Z3, RS4, Yoko A052, r888r, and others. All the 200tw will last me 2-3 weekends at my current pace, with the faster tires lasting less. My a052 lasted 3 days, so not even two full weekends. Granted it was very hot and I had two 45 min sessions... r888r lasted a bit over 3 weekends, closer to 7 days total. Heat kills all 200tw tires, and 100tw seem to deal better for my current pace.

Awesome feedback guys.

I'm not doing track days yet, just autocross. Do you think the 200tw version is suitable for that or they take too long to get to operating temp where they wouldn't work too well.

Also read that rs3 review that said they run narrow compared to other 200tw tires. Have you noticed this?

Also not going to use then as a daily.

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
Awesome feedback guys.

I'm not doing track days yet, just autocross. Do you think the 200tw version is suitable for that or they take too long to get to operating temp where they wouldn't work too well.

Also read that rs3 review that said they run narrow compared to other 200tw tires. Have you noticed this?

Also not going to use then as a daily.
Oh if you are going flat out you are about to have a great time.

They don't run narrow, I would say they run true to size. A 235 is a 235 and fits 18x8.5 wheel. BUT that's not what you want for track. Just a bit narrow (for my setup) I run a 265 on the same width wheel for go fast days (235 or 255 rear)

For reference, the Federal RS-R i had before in a 235 was a straight-up 245. Same with the Trofeos I run for another series. 235 is really a 245. a 265 is damn near a 270+ tire in the trofeo.

For most days I run a 255 square setup

So you can stretch or go meaty. I personally like meat.

Love it.

If you aren't restricted by TW ratings go for the 100tw for auto x. Its just gorllia grip for the entire life of the tire.

I set my PSI so that essentially It will come off the track hot at 36F -37R

So if I was doing auto x and I'd probably set it at 33 psi for the first run and see how the car does and Raise every 1 to find the best time/optimal grip ratio. If you are charging out the gates it will get their quick. There is a onramp 30 secs from my house so by the time i get to that on ramp (30-40mph) 9/10 by the time i hit the onramp tires are at peak "street" performance.

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP

Yea his review is spot on. Same thing about the width when I had my first set. The 235s. Wear was similar because I was burning the edges on turn in and it was before I took some weight of the GTI. First day of 255s was bliss so much more contact patch on the 8.5. 265s + Aero you just feel like the front end is going some how break something because how rapid the Turn in can be.

That was a cool write up!

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Oh if you are going flat out you are about to have a great time.

They don't run narrow, I would say they run true to size. A 235 is a 235 and fits 18x8.5 wheel. BUT that's not what you want for track. Just a bit narrow (for my setup) I run a 265 on the same width wheel for go fast days (235 or 255 rear)

For reference, the Federal RS-R i had before in a 235 was a straight-up 245. Same with the Trofeos I run for another series. 235 is really a 245. a 265 is damn near a 270+ tire in the trofeo.

For most days I run a 255 square setup

So you can stretch or go meaty. I personally like meat.

Love it.

If you aren't restricted by TW ratings go for the 100tw for auto x. Its just gorllia grip for the entire life of the tire.

I set my PSI so that essentially It will come off the track hot at 36F -37R

So if I was doing auto x and I'd probably set it at 33 psi for the first run and see how the car does and Raise every 1 to find the best time/optimal grip ratio. If you are charging out the gates it will get their quick. There is a onramp 30 secs from my house so by the time i get to that on ramp (30-40mph) 9/10 by the time i hit the onramp tires are at peak "street" performance.

Exactly the feedback I needed. Still new to autocross. Wanted something with a little more grip, but at my skill level, didn't make sense to break the bank for some re71r or something.

I'm in STH so have to go with 200 for now.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Exactly the feedback I needed. Still new to autocross. Wanted something with a little more grip, but at my skill level, didn't make sense to break the bank for some re71r or something.

I'm in STH so have to go with 200 for now.
The new kuhmo are supposed to be fast and are like 600$ a set, so not bad either. Not accelera cheap, but not 850+ a set. I will say, my yoko were really comfy and quiet on the street. Way better than any other 200tw tire by a mile, but not cheap!

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
The new kuhmo are supposed to be fast and are like 600$ a set, so not bad either. Not accelera cheap, but not 850+ a set. I will say, my yoko were really comfy and quiet on the street. Way better than any other 200tw tire by a mile, but not cheap!
Which kumho

Oversteermybagel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 2017 GTi Sport
V730. They look like ACR tires and preform like ??? It's what I plan to replace my Z3s with after they are disposed with in a few additional hours

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
V730. They look like ACR tires and preform like ??? It's what I plan to replace my Z3s with after they are disposed with in a few additional hours
Gotcha. Unfortunately only available in 225 in 18"

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Gotcha. Unfortunately only available in 225 in 18"
Depends on goals and setup, but don't discount a tire for a small size difference. On a 245/40/17 i had shorter gearing and was quicker through technical sections, but lost out a bit on top speed vs stock size/wheels. With a 235/45/17 in a different (better) tire, I was as quick in the technical section but tremendously faster down the main straight (15mph). In the same tire with a 255/235 stagger I was faster everywhere and matched speed down the straight. Different tire (slower) in a 255 I'm fastest in sweepers, but much slower than staggered setup and barely keeping pace with the faster tire in a 235 square setup. All different days and some different brake pads so I'm accounting for that a bit and picking my extreme scenarios as the highlights. I can talk for days about rubber/pressure and the stupid heat canon front end of these cars 🙄