GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Longer wearing tires for track

TechGuy32

Ready to race!
Many of us track junkies switched to a dedicated Comp R treadless track tire years ago because they last so much longer than extreme performance street tires that the economics made sense for us. That may not be the case for other folks however, especially if you don't do 5+ DEs per season.

YMMV

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
Many of us track junkies switched to a dedicated Comp R treadless track tire years ago because they last so much longer than extreme performance street tires that the economics made sense for us. That may not be the case for other folks however, especially if you don't do 5+ DEs per season.

YMMV

I did 16 HPDE days last year. I don't feel like carting track wheels around and swapping wheels at the track.

TechGuy32

Ready to race!
I did 16 HPDE days last year. I don't feel like carting track wheels around and swapping wheels at the track.

And no one is suggesting that you should. I prefer the Comp R track tires and find them worth the effort so that I can have the best of both worlds on the street and track. Everyone is different and has different priorities and values. That is why different options exist to meet the needs of a diverse consumer market.

tripleS

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
15 GTI PP \ 16 GT4
I just picked up some Hankook RS4s in 245/40 for my 18x8.5 Neuspeeds. Really looking forward to seeing how they do in a couple weeks at VIR and throughout this season, especially compared to what I used to run. The RS4s are supposed wear "like iron" on track while being a tad slower, and not as good in the rain (I read they require some heat) than the other 200tw RE71Rs, Direzzas, etc as a trade-off.

Previous tires were 245 Sumitomo HTR zIII 300tw, which were very reasonable in cost and capability for learning, burning through at the track, while also DDing for most of the year. Those survived 15 trackdays and probably a grand total of ~15k miles BUT could have went at least another 5 trackdays if I was properly rotating towards the end. They made noise towards the limit which would keep me in-check and safe, would get a bit greasy towards the end of the sessions, but were still a lot of fun being able to drive fairly close to their limit. I'll note stock power, but would buy those again if I wanted an inexpensive and fairly capable tire to chew through and learn on.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
I just picked up some Hankook RS4s in 245/40 for my 18x8.5 Neuspeeds. Really looking forward to seeing how they do in a couple weeks at VIR and throughout this season, especially compared to what I used to run. The RS4s are supposed wear "like iron" on track while being a tad slower, and not as good in the rain (I read they require some heat) than the other 200tw RE71Rs, Direzzas, etc as a trade-off.

Previous tires were 245 Sumitomo HTR zIII 300tw, which were very reasonable in cost and capability for learning, burning through at the track, while also DDing for most of the year. Those survived 15 trackdays and probably a grand total of ~15k miles BUT could have went at least another 5 trackdays if I was properly rotating towards the end. They made noise towards the limit which would keep me in-check and safe, would get a bit greasy towards the end of the sessions, but were still a lot of fun being able to drive fairly close to their limit. I'll note stock power, but would buy those again if I wanted an inexpensive and fairly capable tire to chew through and learn on.
Rs4 are awesome tires, they do require some heat but it's not bad. They last an incredible amount of track days, I didn't find them to be all that much slower compared to some of the softer tires.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP

Hey which club are you running with at VIR?

tripleS

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
15 GTI PP \ 16 GT4
Rs4 are awesome tires, they do require some heat but it's not bad. They last an incredible amount of track days, I didn't find them to be all that much slower compared to some of the softer tires.
Sweet, that's definitely the general consensus I've read about and super excited to put them on... :D

Hey which club are you running with at VIR?

I'll be there with NASA Mid-Atlantic chipping the rust away on March 23/24, will report back :)

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Before mounting my Yoko, I wanted to burn up my DZ3, so I've been going to sessions with them recently. Now that I'm below 4/32nds the compound seems to be much harder, wearing more slowly, and the grip isn't what it once was. I'm pretty sure they're entirely heat cycled out, but what's interesting is that they're taking longer to get to operating temp now. It's almost like an entirely different compound, and one much more suited for track than autox work.

How are those RS4 treating you, TripleS?

burgerkong

Drag Racing Champion
I've been running with RS4's last season on my R, but this season I'm going for a mix of Advan A048R's (medium-hard compound) and Nankang AR1's whereas my buddy will be on Federal FZ201 (medium compound).

Swoope

Ready to race!
to all.

there is a site trying to get all this info in one place.. it is new, but content is coming.

i will say i got 9 full track days out of a set of falken 615s they were great. did a set of kumho closeouts. well check the site.

my cosite friend that has a mini GP. got just 4 days out of a set of 71s.

please read, contribute if you can.

tires4track.com

beers

tripleS

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
15 GTI PP \ 16 GT4
I'm happy to say after getting re-acquainted with the limits of the new tires, I'm a now a fan of the Hankook RS4s. They might be ~1/2 worn after 8 track days (4 at VIR Full, 1 at Dominion, 2 at Watkins Glen, 1 at Summit Point Main). It was certainly a learning experience -- I also did front 034 camber mounts this season -- but now I'm all about it.

Easily at least 10% more grip than the Sumitomo HTR zIII's I had on before and fun in a different way. Making the transition was neat. I learned the RS4's do need more heat in them, and for me are most sticky after a couple of laps while holding there throughout a DE session. In contrast, the Sumitomos would get noticeably greasy after a few laps and slide while making progressively more and more noise towards the limit. While the RS4's are much quieter until they really let go. Close to the limit they begin to "whisper" with a faint squeal, then they will start yelling & sliding gently approaching and cresting the limit, so long as you're smooth. I wasn't my second lap out on these and got into a slide at the top of the uphill esses at VIR somewhere above 100, that made me remember smoothness is key and to take it easy.

If I can manage 14 total track days on these -- probably around 8k total miles at that time -- I'll feel good about getting my money's worth. 16 would be outstanding! A couple pictures I took last Sunday after pulling back into the VIR paddock and packing up after the last session, it was hot!