GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Long time track driver, first time w/ GTI

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
If Ferodo 2500’s are not a pure track pad. Then I would recommend Pagid RSL 29’s for the PP fronts and Pagid RSL19’s for the rear. Assuming you have PP front and rear brakes.

I used these to good effect on track and on the street. The Pagids will hold up for HPDE and be great on the street with no adverse wear on the rotors.

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
If Ferodo 2500’s are not a pure track pad. Then I would recommend Pagid RSL 29’s for the PP fronts and Pagid RSL19’s for the rear. Assuming you have PP front and rear brakes.

I used these to good effect on track and on the street. The Pagids will hold up for HPDE and be great on the street with no adverse wear on the rotors.
Ferodo DS2500 is still a great dual duty pad, I just meant if you're going balls to the wall, they're not gonna hold up like a dedicated track pad will, naturally.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Ferodo DS2500 pads
2 Piece rotors
RS3 Airducts
Stud convert
Rear Sway
Intercooler..and Welcome.

edit to include: Powerflex Hybrid or BFI dogbone mount.
This. Though I'm ambivalent about the 2 piece rotors and stud conversion. Nice to have, but if you are going to track on the street tires, I not sure you'll get much benefit from the 2 piece rotors and the studs are just for convenience. I've used the lugs for 3 years and not issue autocrossing or on track.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

I'd agree if he was going to use stickier tires, but DS2500 should be fine with the tires he's running and you can get them from FCPeuro, which means you can get new sets for cost of shipping.

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Curious what pads you went to after the DS2500s?

I just put my 2500s on, but curious what's better?
Porterfield R4 in the front, and some StopTech Sport in rear. Porterfield R4 are a dedicated track pad, so I haven't had the chance to try them out yet. Hoping to get out in the next few weeks. DS2500 are definitely an adequate pad for the track, they're just not a "track pad"

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Porterfield R4 in the front, and some StopTech Sport in rear. Porterfield R4 are a dedicated track pad, so I haven't had the chance to try them out yet. Hoping to get out in the next few weeks. DS2500 are definitely an adequate pad for the track, they're just not a "track pad"
I’ve been using Porterfield R4 up front for the past couple track days (with R4S at the rear). Last outing I pushed about as hard as I could go into the brake zones and there was no fuss whatsoever and zero brake fade.

First couple outings in the GTI I was using Porterfield R4S all around and they do indeed begin to fade about 15 minutes into a session. I keep them on for daily driving and they are quiet with relatively low dust for a trackable pad.

I’ve been using Porterfield R4 / R4S going back to my RX8 days and have always found them to perform to my liking.

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I’ve been using Porterfield R4 up front for the past couple track days (with R4S at the rear). Last outing I pushed about as hard as I could go into the brake zones and there was no fuss whatsoever and zero brake fade.

First couple outings in the GTI I was using Porterfield R4S all around and they do indeed begin to fade about 15 minutes into a session. I keep them on for daily driving and they are quiet with relatively low dust for a trackable pad.

I’ve been using Porterfield R4 / R4S going back to my RX8 days and have always found them to perform to my liking.
That makes me really happy. I got the R4 based on recommendations from others with different cars, and hadn't heard anyone's review using them with a GTI/R. Do/Did you follow Porterfield's (super minimal) bed-in procedure? Seems its pretty drastically different from most pad manufacturers.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
For those that have run Pagid RSL29 and DS2500s, which do you prefer? I’m thinking of switching to RSL29 for this season as they seem to be a bit more track focused while still being daily-able. The downside is I can’t order through FCPEuro.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I never tried other trackable pads, but I can tell you that I'm very happy with the Ferodo 2500's on my car. I have the Non PP car, I added the Audi RS3 ducts, and the cryogenically treated rotors, and a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's, and Motul RBF600 brake fluid. I did 2 1/2 track days so far, and they seemed to hold up pretty well so far. On Monticello (7- 20 min sessions), I was reaching speeds up to approx. 123MPH on the long straight, and had to brake very hard down to ~45MPH, and on Lime Rock (4- 20 min sessions), I got up to approx 114mph, and had to brake even harder (late braking). Neither day did the brakes fade, or over heat. They also work great on the street, but I do get a little squeal every now and then, and they do seem to dust more than stock.
Since then, I added a JB4 tune, and an intercooler, and soon adding an intake inlet hose and pipe elbow, and a catted downpipe. The car already feels MUCH faster, so I hope when I'm done, the brakes can still keep up, since I will probably carry more speed on the long straights. I guess I'll figure it out in the spring!

kep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
For those that have run Pagid RSL29 and DS2500s, which do you prefer? I’m thinking of switching to RSL29 for this season as they seem to be a bit more track focused while still being daily-able. The downside is I can’t order through FCPEuro.
My plan is to run RSL29 front, DS2500 rear, and swap the fronts to OE pads for street driving. Haven't tested out the setup yet, so I'm hoping it works well.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
My plan is to run RSL29 front, DS2500 rear, and swap the fronts to OE pads for street driving. Haven't tested out the setup yet, so I'm hoping it works well.
Leave the RSL29’s in. They work perfectly fine on the street without any adverse rotor or pad wear.

Reactions: kep

Steakman

Car(s)
S3
For brake pads that are available through FCPEuro, what do you guys recommend for primarily street, occasional track? Ferodo DS2500? Any others you like?

How about rotors from FCPEuro, what do you suggest?

Thanks!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
For brake pads that are available through FCPEuro, what do you guys recommend for primarily street, occasional track? Ferodo DS2500? Any others you like?

How about rotors from FCPEuro, what do you suggest?

Thanks!
I recommend Brembo ceramic pads. No dust and long life. I don't know what rotors they offer.
I got the ECS 2 piece rotors to save 5 lbs per wheel.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I recommend Brembo ceramic pads. No dust and long life. I don't know what rotors they offer.
I got the ECS 2 piece rotors to save 5 lbs per wheel.
Have you tracked on the Brembo ceramics?