GOLFMKV

Long Term Spark Plug Thoughts

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Opinions on Ruths vs Brisk?

both good
Yeah my car runs and logs the same on either plugs, but the Ruth’s require less attention is seems, as they don’t drastically open over 5k…. Not really sure why EQT likes to specify brisks “should be a last resort”

tigeo

Autocross Champion

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Thanks! Mmm.... Basically it seems to depend on how much sustained heat you're going to be generating within the cylinder.

My car is mostly daily driven, but will get driven harder on backroads 6-8 times a year and, hopefully soon, once or twice per year at the track. Maybe I'm better off getting the NGK RS7 plugs and gapping them correctly. I have the gapping tool.
If you have the RS7s, gap them and throw them in. My car is mostly daily driven but also sees some back road / mountain thrashing a few times a year.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Even though they are a stock heat range plug? They’re still ok to use with an is38?
They are heat range 8 - that's one colder than stock (7).

MikeyR44

Go Kart Newbie
They are heat range 8 - that's one colder than stock (7).
They are definitely heat range 7. Taken directly off NGK's site.

Screen Shot 2022-01-07 at 3.06.06 PM.png

tigeo

Autocross Champion
They are definitely heat range 7. Taken directly off NGK's site.

View attachment 234992
Sorry, got your post confused with someone else above, thought you were taking about the "RS7s", carry on...hahahaha. Yep, Ruth's are heat range 7 I am running them in my IS38 wagon including beating on them on the track...they are fine....I've run Denso IKH24s, stock NGKs, and the now infamous NGK "RS7" all with zero drama/issue.

Here is my plug table:
plugs.JPG

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Yeah my car runs and logs the same on either plugs, but the Ruth’s require less attention is seems, as they don’t drastically open over 5k…. Not really sure why EQT likes to specify brisks “should be a last resort”
They were the ones that were grenading motors first, or something like that. I remember seeing posts about the ceramic breaking off on the Brisks.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Ran rs7 plugs on track with temps up to 280. 5 x 25 min sessions. Then ran them for another 10k miles. 20k total miles before changeout. No issues, no misfires that I could detect. Didn't log, but nothing noticeable.

Of course my tune is pretty conservative, so may be different for those running closer to 30. Not sure if it matters or not.