GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Long Term Spark Plug Thoughts

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I change my Ruth's every 15k hybrid turbo, FBO etc. Gap 024. You'll always feel a difference with fresh plugs installed. Even the Denso's I once installed felt better initially but didnt last long.

Ed didn't recommend something colder when you were having him tune the TPC20?

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
Would love to see that data. Plugs are either working properly or they're not. They are replaced every 10k when tuned because the extra heat created by the extra load can cause premature failure.
See Jim’s post below, as I said it’s not about gaining power, it’s preserving it. If Ruth’s don’t degrade as fast I’ll be happy. If you want to argue old tired plugs don’t cost you power…good luck.

I change my Ruth's every 15k hybrid turbo, FBO etc. Gap 024. You'll always feel a difference with fresh plugs installed. Even the Denso's I once installed felt better initially but didnt last long.
I’m going to pay more attention to it now, I can probably afford 40$ a year just so I don’t worry about it.

loudspl

Car(s)
GLI, GTI, TDI
Is anyone running a set of 3 steps colder plugs??

Just installed the Denso IKH27s (2 steps colder) gapped to .024.
Seems to idle better, same tune, running E72-ish fuel.

Is it true that if you can run a larger gap w/o blowout at high rpm, you'll get a better burn? Maybe this would be better running E85 or race gas?
Curious if anyone has tried a larger gap....and if by doing so would you expect a shorter coil lifespan?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Ruthenium update after 2 track days at VIR. Still sending it. These were installed with stock gap on my IS38 Uni-tuned FBO wagon.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
My plugs were swapped during hybrid turbo tuning to Brisks, but I think I'm going to throw another set of Ruths in. They ran/idled better by a big margin, so I'll just watch timing on track days when the heat is on.

MikeyR44

Go Kart Newbie
I'm done with the NGK RS7's. Rutheniums incoming.

another-one-300x30.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-22 at 7.19.06 PM.png

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I chalk up most of this to improper gapping/installation by the plug and gap-obsessed MK7 kids.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I chalk up most of this to improper gapping/installation by the plug and gap-obsessed MK7 kids.
Yeah, those plugs don't look too healthy anyway. Still think that 9/10 plug issues are due to people, let's put this mildly, using the wrong methods to gap them.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Yeah, those plugs don't look too healthy anyway. Still think that 9/10 plug issues are due to people, let's put this mildly, using the wrong methods to gap them.
And opening/re-gapping over and over b/c muH knocK BrO

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
On my 5th set. They're fine. Of course they have all come gapped at .24 so never needed to adjust

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
On my 5th set. They're fine. Of course they have all come gapped at .24 so never needed to adjust
I've used the NGK "RS7" several times - stock gaps was always 0.026".

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Still see people on FB say "I've been gapping them by tapping them on my workbench for 20 years, not stopping now"
I have a gapper tool (the Boost Monkey/screw type) as well but I've tap tap tapped before with no drama.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I've used the NGK "RS7" several times - stock gaps was always 0.026".
Same for me anywhere between .025-.026 and at that point, I’m not even going to bother gapping them down .002”.