GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Long Term Spark Plug Thoughts

Navi

Autocross Champion
15k probably. Think I might be at 7k now?

ok nice.. I've been using Brisk but kind of tired of the short change intervals on them even though they have performed well. Just don't have the time anymore. Think I'll switch to the Ruthenium

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I'm horrible at making notes but I ordered my Ruths just over a year ago so they'll have about 10-12K miles on them. No issues with mis-fires, idle quality. UM tuned, stage 2 running 91 or E25ish blends.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Considered making another thread but probably better to piggy off this thread. I track my vehicle and so subject the car to extreme use, where engine oil temperatures get as high as 130C in the summer. Rest of the time, I drive normally, don't race it, and just use it for commuting, regular daily driving where I barely go past 3000 RPM. I have a stock tune right now but will be going stage 1+ later this year or next year.

I know the Audi RS7 NGK plugs are very popular because they're 1 step colder, but are they suitable for my use? Or should I just stick with the OEM plug?

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Considered making another thread but probably better to piggy off this thread. I track my vehicle and so subject the car to extreme use, where engine oil temperatures get as high as 130C in the summer. Rest of the time, I drive normally, don't race it, and just use it for commuting, regular daily driving where I barely go past 3000 RPM. I have a stock tune right now but will be going stage 1+ later this year or next year.

I know the Audi RS7 NGK plugs are very popular because they're 1 step colder, but are they suitable for my use? Or should I just stick with the OEM plug?
depends on the tune. Pick a tune and then ask the tuner. If going unitronic, you want to stay far away from the RS7 plugs, and in most cases you'll want to stick to oem plugs anyway.

Also, 130C is nothing. With a tune you'll easily see 140c+ unless you get an oil cooler. To track with a tune, I'd also recommend an intercooler, otherwise you heatsoak after about 5-7 mins, a dogbone bushing, more tire, and more brake

Ital

Go Kart Newbie
I had OEM Plugs with my APR stage 2 now for 50k miles without issue.
I was thinking about trying RS7 plugs, but I might to stick to the OEM since they been good thus far.
Would RS7 plugs last just as long?

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I had OEM Plugs with my APR stage 2 now for 50k miles without issue.
I was thinking about trying RS7 plugs, but I might to stick to the OEM since they been good thus far.
Would RS7 plugs last just as long?
Nope. Rs7 plug interval is 30k I believe.

If you don't have issues, why change?
It's far more important to check and keep gap consistent. As plugs age, they need to be regapped periodically.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
I haven't installed any plugs in my 2019, obviously, but I do have a general rule with dirty engines:

Use a fine wire iridium plug.

The harder material holds up for quite some time, but more importantly, they're able to use that smaller wire. This gives less surface area for crap to stick to, and as such they'll "last" longer. You can clean plugs, obviously, but odds are you aren't going to. Overall spark can be more reliable, as well, given that small wire, and given the surface area they cook the junk that does accumulate off more easily.

Stay away from platinum, which isn't actually a particularly good conductor. Iridium is still a platinum group metal, but it's much better in that regard. Copper, iridium, potentially silver alloys if they've got it right now (best conductor; but needs a bit of help in a combustion chamber), but for dirty, hot engines, it's hard to beat a fine wire that's also hard.

Just general stuff, but there's no reason a Golf can't use one of those plugs if appropriately specified. They'll all blow up gasoline, but in filthy engines... I think it's important to reduce the surface area as much as possible without sacrificing conductivity or sharp edges.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I haven't installed any plugs in my 2019, obviously, but I do have a general rule with dirty engines:

Use a fine wire iridium plug.

The harder material holds up for quite some time, but more importantly, they're able to use that smaller wire. This gives less surface area for crap to stick to, and as such they'll "last" longer. You can clean plugs, obviously, but odds are you aren't going to. Overall spark can be more reliable, as well, given that small wire, and given the surface area they cook the junk that does accumulate off more easily.

Stay away from platinum, which isn't actually a particularly good conductor. Iridium is still a platinum group metal, but it's much better in that regard. Copper, iridium, potentially silver alloys if they've got it right now (best conductor; but needs a bit of help in a combustion chamber), but for dirty, hot engines, it's hard to beat a fine wire that's also hard.

Just general stuff, but there's no reason a Golf can't use one of those plugs if appropriately specified. They'll all blow up gasoline, but in filthy engines... I think it's important to reduce the surface area as much as possible without sacrificing conductivity or sharp edges.

...or you could say that with less surface area it will get dirty faster, because the rate of crap hasn't changed but the surface area which it needs to cover is smaller :)

I'm not sure I'd call these engines particularly dirty. You're right though, it's just an engine, and there's no magic going on...stock plugs, stock gap, and with more boost reduce the service interval, the car will run fine.

Agray

Go Kart Champion
Is anyone using NGK PLFER7A8EG? That's what my local euro shop put in and I'm seeing single digit misfires over long highway drives. No CEL or misfires at idle though.