GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Long Term Spark Plug Thoughts

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
As a lot of us start to hit higher mileage 30-65k on our mk7s, what seems to be your experiences with spark plugs? I know this topic has been beat to death but now that owners are seeing long term tuned usage, has anyone noticed any particular ones that seem to misfire less over longer periods of time?

I have tried all of them except the 130-140$ racing NGK and densos, but have had minor issues with all of them. Some miss less than others but just curious what you guys have seen as well?

Those of you that log misses, have you noticed a plug that seems to light off better and withstand more air?

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
I think your miss is not plug related.

And its actually Champion 840s FTW!

My "lot" is not enough to trip a CEL, really just like 4-12 in a driving session but still doesn't miss under WOT. I don't know what else it could be though as I have tried a lot of different things to fix. I've noticed the iridiums seemed to miss less but not sure what is left to diagnose.

Speaking of which, those of you with obd11 or some type of logging platform, what seems to be the typical number of "soft" misfires counter that you get in say a 20-30 minute city driving session?

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
I ran stockers, then RS7's, then Brisks. I've been on Brisks for 35k hard miles and they have performed well, though they don't last that long. I swap them out every 8-10k and check gaps at 5k.

They're holding up fine at 400+whp.

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
My "lot" is not enough to trip a CEL, really just like 4-12 in a driving session but still doesn't miss under WOT. I don't know what else it could be though as I have tried a lot of different things to fix. I've noticed the iridiums seemed to miss less but not sure what is left to diagnose.

Speaking of which, those of you with obd11 or some type of logging platform, what seems to be the typical number of "soft" misfires counter that you get in say a 20-30 minute city driving session?

Just out of curiosity, since you are not getting a cel or epc for misses, why are you monitoring it? Are you experiencing rough idle or stumbles while driving?

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
Interesting

MadMen

Ready to race!
Could just be time for carbon cleaning.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
You're IS38 right?

How much ethanol when you're getting misfires? Above 5000rpm only?

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
You're IS38 right?

How much ethanol when you're getting misfires? Above 5000rpm only?

It never misses at WOT, well, very rarely does. It could be due to the refresh rate of obd eleven but typically the majority are from either DEREV, city driving deaccel, or when pushing clutch in to shift gears driving normally.

I've run 93, blends, race fuel, etc. seems to all do it. Seems to be worst with the E blends though like another here mentioned.

Carbon build up is the last possible culprit for me atleast.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
All cars have a few misfires here and there.

No problem with my Brisks.

Is this considered normal in a 12 minute city driving session? (by the way, it's like this almost all the time, ranging from 2-15 only cylinder that seems to be favored is 2 but sometimes it's not. There isn't a set pattern:

Cyl 1: 3

Cyl 2: 15

Cyl 3: 5

Cyl 4: 1

. All with no engine fault of any kind or noticeable stumble (hard misfire)...

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
Is this considered normal in a 12 minute city driving session? (by the way, it's like this almost all the time, ranging from 2-15 only cylinder that seems to be favored is 2 but sometimes it's not. There isn't a set pattern:

Cyl 1: 3

Cyl 2: 15

Cyl 3: 5

Cyl 4: 1

. All with no engine fault of any kind or noticeable stumble (hard misfire)...
No code = normal

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk