GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Long Term Spark Plug Thoughts

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
You will need to check them often because a 2 step colder plug needs to burn hot enough and that isn't likely going to happen on a street driven car. Race car yes.
What I don't understand is APR has listed a 2 step colder plug as a recommendation for their stage 1 ECU software. They never did that in the past, in fact Arin used to say just regap STOCK spark plugs with stage 1. I think it's a bad recommendation for them to suggest 9's for stage 1.

Last edited:

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Why the change from RS7's to the Ruths?
I also switched from RS7 to Ruths. Ruths work for me and they are relatively cheap. I've gone through 4 sets now (all looked great when I pulled them) and no problems.

Agray

Go Kart Champion
I also switched from RS7 to Ruths. Ruths work for me and they are relatively cheap. I've gone through 4 sets now (all looked great when I pulled them) and no problems.
For what reason though? The NGK RS7's can be had from FCP with a lifetime warranty (essentially making them free after the first set). I also ran Ruths for 10k on my stage 2 set up without an issue, and the recent RS7 tip failures has be considering switching back to the Ruths for my is38 GTI setup.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Why the change from RS7's to the Ruths?
Variety is the spice of life basically....just like to try differnet things on my car.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
So far so good - I beat on it hard yesterday and no drama.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
For what reason though? The NGK RS7's can be had from FCP with a lifetime warranty (essentially making them free after the first set). I also ran Ruths for 10k on my stage 2 set up without an issue, and the recent RS7 tip failures has be considering switching back to the Ruths for my is38 GTI setup.
The tip failures were always confined to the Beru version of the RS7 I thought? Havne't heard of the NGK having issues? Sure, you can FCP Euro them and get a few sets for free over your car's life, I'm not too worried about $40 from Rockauto to try them out...they could be better! I've tired them all at this point, stock, Denso IKH24, NGK RS7, and now the Ruths.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
The tip failures were always confined to the Beru version of the RS7 I thought? Havne't heard of the NGK having issues? Sure, you can FCP Euro them and get a few sets for free over your car's life, I'm not too worried about $40 from Rockauto to try them out...they could be better! I've tired them all at this point, stock, Denso IKH24, NGK RS7, and now the Ruths.
Check out this thread.
https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.ph...tip-broke-inside-cylinder.384001/post-7708513

tigeo

Autocross Champion
What I don't understand is APR has listed a 2 step colder plug as a recommendation for their stage 1 ECU software. They never did that in the past, in fact Arin used to say just regap STOCK spark plugs with stage 1. I think it's a bad recommendation for them to suggest 9's for stage 1.
Agreed, has to be a type/mistake. Uni calls for stock plugs/stock gap on their tunes but they do run less boost than APR.

tigeo

Autocross Champion

Agray

Go Kart Champion
It most certainly has been happening to the NGK RS7 (91006) as of late. Now all of those examples are ones I've seen on the EQT FB page which in my opinion as a rule, is a less experienced user base than this forum. There's no telling how many miles they are actually being run, gapping technique, etc. but nonetheless, tips are still breaking which really shouldn't happen unless the owner is being completely negligent in keeping up with the maintenance.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Most of the failures I’ve seen with the NGK plugs were the ceramic cracking. Not the tip.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT

I think the RS7s weren't in stock at FCP when I needed new plugs, so I jumped on Ruths. I liked them and have been getting them since.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
On a stock turbo (is38 or smaller) stock plugs are perfectly fine. Suspect people aren't using a proper gap tool (those coin tools or tapping with a hammer aren't it) or not checking them enough if the electrode is failing. They like to open up pretty quickly and the PCV sucks at keeping oil off them with lots of boost.