GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Long Term Spark Plug Thoughts

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
Leaning towards ER10S for Vortex going on my R in the next month. I've been on ER12S on E40 EQT tune on the stock IS38 and they have been fine/no issues. I know EQT is all about the NGK Race plugs, but don't really want to throw down the $ on that piece of the puzzle. (already over budget as is on Vortex upgrade)
I'm initially going just 91 pump EQT tune here in Denver on the Vortex (std housing), so no LPFP upgrade at this time. (that's on the next tranche of this current money pit excursion)
Any better/similar plug than the ER10S I should consider if I don't want to go with those NGKs?

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
rutheniums
Ok thanks. I see people running them for stage 1/stage 2 on stock turbos. Just didn't realize they were good when you go to a bigger hybrid since they appear to be stock heat range.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
This is the first I've heard of this plug. Tell us more.

How dare you question someone with a car as legendary as his.

heftysmurf

Ready to race!
So I have been UM Stage 1 for 25k miles and swapped plugs to the Ruths. Loving them so far, super smooth.
Pics of old plugs for kicks.

Attachments

• DSCN9112.JPG
    DSCN9112.JPG
    734 KB · Views: 201
  • DSCN9113.JPG
    DSCN9113.JPG
    750.6 KB · Views: 207

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
So I have been UM Stage 1 for 25k miles and swapped plugs to the Ruths. Loving them so far, super smooth.
Pics of old plugs for kicks.

Those plugs looked great. You'll always notice a difference with new plugs.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Just joined the Ruthenium gang today - first plug change at 26k miles. Gapped them down slightly to 0.028, out the box they were 0.032.

Super easy 15 min job, from what I had read I was expecting a fight with the coil packs and boots but took the general advice of slightly warming the engine and they pulled off real easy.

Old OEM plugs look perfect, measured gaps on removal 0.030/0.031. I dare say they'd have gone a lot longer. APR+ running on 87 Octane.

Spark Plugs.jpg

Attachments

• Spark Plugs.jpg
    Spark Plugs.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 116
Last edited:

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Is there a consensus on where to gap the Rutheniums?

Don't know actually. I just decided on 0.028 being as its the lower end of the stock gap range. I know APR recommends 0.024+or- 0.002 but I figure with my low end tune I've got very little chance of a spark blow out.

Last edited: