GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Long Term Spark Plug Thoughts

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
I've never seen a DI car in my life that will miss 20-25 times across scattered cylinders in 15 minutes and that be called "normal." Wow @ these cars.

If it's not a spark/cylinder issue, is it possibly the sensors or carbon? Sometimes I can even get it to miss by lightly driving up to 3 thousand and pushing the clutch in/watch the revs drop. At this point I guess I'm just going to stop watching it.

Anyways, are you guys seeing similar numbers like this as well?

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
Am I muted or something lol

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Are you implying I overlooked your comment? (*confuzzled)

Sorry, totally saw and understood just trying to finally get some real numbers from other owners in terms of soft misfires per time driving.

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
Are you implying I overlooked your comment? (*confuzzled)

Sorry, totally saw and understood just trying to finally get some real numbers from other owners in terms of soft misfires per time driving.

That is what I'm implying, yes. A+, thumbs up, good job.

The misfires, however many or frequent, don't matter. It's a quirk of the otherwise incredible platform. Until it starts breathing fire or you lunch a plug, just enjoy the car.

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
I ran my first set of RS7’s for about 30k miles before I had some mild roughness and replaced them. I don’t track the car but do spirited runs in the mountains often. They ran way smoother for me than the original plugs they replaced. Since they lasted exceptionally long and treated me well I got another set which I have 10k on currently.

Got some decent numbers when Ed tuned me with them, then again I’m only a stg1 build. You all are pushing it way hard than my lil stock IS20 is.

I have a long commute so these cheaper copper/silver plugs are not an option for me, I would be replacing them monthly and don’t want to deal with that. It’s also hard for me to bite on those $100+ sets since I’m only stg1. So the RS7 are a very nice option for me being longer lasting, colder, reasonably priced and at least for my setup run really nice.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
That is what I'm implying, yes. A+, thumbs up, good job.

The misfires, however many or frequent, don't matter. It's a quirk of the otherwise incredible platform. Until it starts breathing fire or you lunch a plug, just enjoy the car.

Attachments

• funny-wet-cats-coverimage.jpg
    funny-wet-cats-coverimage.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 834

MadMen

Ready to race!
I have 39k on mine. I get misfire on cold starts, but haven't checked it on live driving. It will pop a CEL for the misfires whenever I run an e-blend, so I know the e content makes it worse.

It's going in to DAP today for big turbo install, and I'm tempted to have them do the walnut blasting while they have it. Even though they said they usually recommend at around 60k. But I've been through all the usual suspect plugs, and changed to RS7 coils, yet no improvement on the misfires.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
I have 39k on mine. I get misfire on cold starts, but haven't checked it on live driving. It will pop a CEL for the misfires whenever I run an e-blend, so I know the e content makes it worse.

It's going in to DAP today for big turbo install, and I'm tempted to have them do the walnut blasting while they have it. Even though they said they usually recommend at around 60k. But I've been through all the usual suspect plugs, and changed to RS7 coils, yet no improvement on the misfires.

I've noticed this as well. Running the blend seems to exasperate it. Thanks for sharing

nonegiven

Go Kart Newbie
Running the Brisks now but just picked up a set of NGK racing iridiums for $85. Expensive but much better than they're normally priced. I'll swap them out in the next week and see if I notice any differences.

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
Running the Brisks now but just picked up a set of NGK racing iridiums for $85. Expensive but much better than they're normally priced. I'll swap them out in the next week and see if I notice any differences.

Where did you get for $85 I could swing that next time.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
Brisks for a little over 12K and they are getting abit toasty. Need a new set but for the time they have been in, almost no misfires. Just for fun,I did do OBD11 live data logging for a few different run loops of about 20-35 minutes each. Had one or two soft misses in each cylinder except for #2 which logged as many as 7 in a run on JB4 Maps 1 & 2. Map 6 would do about the same except if I run E30 with FOL @50. There I would get 4-5 in all cylinders except #2 which would be as high as 10.

I would say this is about as good as it gets with this engine and tune. It seems ALL German cars have had issues of varying degrees with misfires and ignition maladies in general. There seems to be no "miracle" plugs, coils, wires etc. Some MAY perform better than others in each application but you'l be chasing your tail trying to find the perfect combo. I'd say with your current set-up you're only getting a couple soft misses and no CEL, motor on and call it normal.

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
i've ran rs7 plugs last 3 spark plug changes. Purchased my first set of Brisk Plugs. Can't wait to try them out. Seems the recommended gap is .024 with frequent checks?

On IS38, check them at 5k and regap. Mine open up quite a bit at that interval, albeit at more boost/load.