GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Long Start After Clearing Driver Assist Codes - SOLVED

aar1217

Passed Driver's Ed
This is odd. About 6 months ago my car battery died and afterwards I had some driver assistance issues (I just posted about this recently) where I had to clear out some faults to get them working again. Afterwards the car required a long push of the start button to turn over. The car went to the dealer the next day to make sure I cleared all the codes correctly, and whatever they did seemed to make the car turnover quicker. I'm in the same position again where I had to unplug the battery to install the JB4, and the driver assistance aids were disabled. The car started fine! I then cleared the faults (not going to lie, Carista said the car had about 11 or 12 faults and I just cleared them all). Now the car has the long start. If I unplug the JB4 it does nothing to improve start time, so I do believe there is some issue I'm not seeing, but it's not related to the JB4. Any ideas here?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Yikes! Did you put the ECU to sleep before you installed the JB4? Did the dealer install the new battery? Is it an AGM? Was the new battery registered on the CAN? Our cars can be very temperamental if certain procedures concerning the battery are not followed exactly. I don't know the capabilites of Carista, but I don't think it can do what VCDS does.

aar1217

Passed Driver's Ed
I unplugged the battery for the JB4 install. After the JB4 install the start up was just fine too. It wasn't until I cleared the faults related to the driver assist aids (and possibly others) that caused the issue.

My battery was never replaced. I had a shop put a clear bra on it and they left the power on which drained the battery.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Maybe it's time for a new battery. Check the battery voltage before you try to start the car.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I unplugged the battery for the JB4 install. After the JB4 install the start up was just fine too. It wasn't until I cleared the faults related to the driver assist aids (and possibly others) that caused the issue.

My battery was never replaced. I had a shop put a clear bra on it and they left the power on which drained the battery.
I misunderstood. Our cars have battery protection but I don't know if it works only when you leave lights on. If they ran the battery dead they might have jumped it improperly. I've found these type of shops don't know anything about the electrical systems. You still don't unplug the battery, you put the ECU to sleep. Our cars don't like being without battery power.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I noticed on my car, if you change the battery fast, you don't lose your radio presets. I guess I'll probably need to write them down when I get the DSG filter changed.

r12rex

Go Kart Newbie
Might be a good idea to check out the battery and make sure its fine. Sounds like a battery issue. Many of us have had crappy OEM batteries go out quickly. Mine was shot at 24k not even 2 years. I did not bother with a warrant and purchased a larger AGM battery, coded the car to accept the larger capacity and type of battery and have never had an issue since. I have JB4 and have had to unplug the battery multiple times for different reasons (DSG filter change, etc.) and never ran into long start issues after clearing the codes with OBD11.

Kind Regards,
Ryan

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I noticed on my car, if you change the battery fast, you don't lose your radio presets. I guess I'll probably need to write them down when I get the DSG filter changed.

Disconnecting the battery does not delete the presets even if the battery has been disconnected for quite some time. Just had the DSG service done again and the presets remained. Wipes out the trip mileage etc but not the presets.

aar1217

Passed Driver's Ed
Finally figured this out. So I've been using a clutch stop on my car....and apparently after you clear out all of the passive codes on the car, the clutch pedal needs to be pressed entirely to the floor to activate the normal starting process. I found this out when I took the car to the dealer and showed them the long delay in starting up. He mentioned the clutch stop so we took it out, started the car and it was the same. Another try and it was back to normal.....ahhhhhh feels good to have it back to normal!

Shawsvw

Car(s)
2019 VW Golf R
Finally figured this out. So I've been using a clutch stop on my car....and apparently after you clear out all of the passive codes on the car, the clutch pedal needs to be pressed entirely to the floor to activate the normal starting process. I found this out when I took the car to the dealer and showed them the long delay in starting up. He mentioned the clutch stop so we took it out, started the car and it was the same. Another try and it was back to normal.....ahhhhhh feels good to have it back to normal!
Thank you for posting this! I was having the same problem, and this fixed it.