GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Long crank on cold engine 1.6 tdi

harvard

Car(s)
golfmk7 variant
Golf mk7 1.6 tdi 105 bhp 2014.
I have recently noticed that in the morning or after e few hours of not using golf it takes more or less from 3-5 sec to start the engine. After that i can run the car as many times as I want and it starts right away. No errors on vcds. My battery has been charded and seems to be ok. If it wasn't I cound't run it a few timer more after morning long crank. However it is 7 year old battery OEM. No idea where start my diagnose. Is there anyone with similar problem and can you point where and what in vcds take a look at?

Gr33nBunny

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE 6mt
A 7 year old OEM battery is is well past it's prime. Time for a replacement, instead of getting stranded this winter.

harvard

Car(s)
golfmk7 variant
Is it safe to put efb battery instead of agm? as they are cheaper ?Will it affect in rise of fuel consumption?

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
Looks like it is dropping into the 30s at night in Poland. Diesel fuel doesn't do well in the cold and will gel. Back when I had my 2012 TDI it could take a good few seconds to start on a cold morning. I also remember something about stations switching to a winter blend which doesn't gel as easily.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Is it safe to put efb battery instead of agm? as they are cheaper ?Will it affect in rise of fuel consumption?
It won't affect fuel consumption but it will need the battery adaptation. What battery is in it now?

harvard

Car(s)
golfmk7 variant
At the moment there is varta 68ah 680cca agm. Stop/start turned off. On the other forum one guy said that if I had bluemotiom technology and replace agm with efb battery fuel con. should rise and some car internal sensors and systems may not work the way designed. So I am a bit puzzeled and been thinking what excetly may fail.? It is known that efb are a bit price in favour so why not.

As far as battery coding is concerned, I own vcds and know how to code the battery. A tech guy in car shop said that if no oem battery is replaced it is enough to put ten ones or anything (10 digits) to learn ecu it has a new battery.(and the proper type of battery efb, agm, gel etc.)

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Good luck. It would be more expensive if you bought the battery from the dealer but they would do the adaptation for free and eliminate any possible problems.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
I have recently noticed that in the morning or after e few hours of not using golf it takes more or less from 3-5 sec to start the engine. After that i can run the car as many times as I want and it starts right away. No errors on vcds. My battery has been charded and seems to be ok. If it wasn't I cound't run it a few timer more after morning long crank. However it is 7 year old battery OEM. No idea where start my diagnose. Is there anyone with similar problem and can you point where and what in vcds take a look at?
VVT issue. Very common.

ToniPeja

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Vw mk7 1.6 TDI
Golf mk7 1.6 tdi 105 I have recently noticed that in the morning or after e few hours of not using golf it takes more or less from 3-5 sec to start the engine. After that i can run the car as many times as I want and it starts right away. No errors on vcds. My battery has been charded and seems to be ok. If it wasn't I cound't run it a few timer more after morning long crank. However it is 7 year old battery OEM. No idea where start my diagnose. Is there anyone with similar problem and can you point where and what in vcds take a look at
I have the same issue since last week it happened two times until now during cold mornings, just during firts start attempt than during the day everything is ok, have you found where the issue is because I’m thinking to visit a mechanic during this week ?

Regards

harvard

Car(s)
golfmk7 variant
Some say that is VVT issue and share link like that video above. At the end of the film when the pal says it woorks, the repaired car starts but one can notice not straight away. So do not know if it is the issue, but worth to inspect.

ToniPeja

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Vw mk7 1.6 TDI
Some say that is VVT issue and share link like that video above. At the end of the film when the pal says it woorks, the repaired car starts but one can notice not straight away. So do not know if it is the issue, but worth to inspect.
Thanx mate, I’ll keep you updated if I find the solution !

harvard

Car(s)
golfmk7 variant
My vcds diagnose of fuel system
Can You now tell is it ok with my fuel system or give me a hint hat else to scan?

harvard

Car(s)
golfmk7 variant
Small updade. I have been testing - according to mechanic \s advice with outside temperature. Above 15 celcius (16 and up) long crank appears. Lower than 15 no long crank. Don't know what else to diagnose on vcds.