GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Locking doors from outside with engine running

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
Hate to be that guy, but just get in your car, start it up, and drive off. Get some gloves and a hat if you're cold and don't have heated seats.

I do. I'm a regular at a coffee shop 30 seconds into my commute and they have my order ready when I get to the counter. Now I can leave the car running and get my coffee, and come outside to toasty seats in the winter.

Do you still get the, "Key Out of Range" message in the MFD?

I haven't checked.

What we really need is remote start ability through coding.

I'm surprised VW didn't make remote start an option for the DSG.

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
Do you still get the, "Key Out of Range" message in the MFD?
Yup, that still pops up.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

njswider

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
This is a great “feature” and I use it all the time esp. during the winter, quickly running into the store/atm etc.

I don’t have any official word but I heard that we do not have remote start because in Germany, it’s illegal to have a car idling without someone in it for any length of time. I believe the US-only model VWs have remote start (like the Passat) but the golfs don’t since it’s basically a European car. Also I don’t think they can just enable it for the carnet app because the starter/internals are not able to do this. I’m not that educated but just what I remember reading/hearing over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
Passat's do not have remote start. To my knowledge anything up to 2017 didn't have remote start as an option. However, I'm not that familiar with the SUV options, but I don't think any VW has been offered with remote start. It is illegal in some cities to leave a car running unattended.

njswider

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
I believe it was offered as an add-on accessory, not part of any trim. Either way, I doubt we’ll see any OEM one for the golfs anytime soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
Not that it would really make a sh!t bit of difference, but when you lock the car all doors will lock except the fuel door. I guess so you could still fill the car while its running for whatever reason.

hobie411

Passed Driver's Ed
Shortybdub said:
Not that it would really make a sh!t bit of difference, but when you lock the car all doors will lock except the fuel door. I guess so you could still fill the car while its running for whatever reason.

well. that’s just odd. I never checked if the fuel door locked or not. why the hell would you need to get in there while running? *shug*

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Passat's do not have remote start. To my knowledge anything up to 2017 didn't have remote start as an option. However, I'm not that familiar with the SUV options, but I don't think any VW has been offered with remote start. It is illegal in some cities to leave a car running unattended.

Not that it matters, but the NMS Passat was the first VW to have remote start from the factory since 2012.

Remember this commercial?

It's been standard on the SEL Premium trims (2.5, 1.8t, TDI & 3.6)
Then in 2017, it was standard additionally on the SE w/Tech trims too (as well as the SEL Premium)

The downside though on the Passat...once you open the car door, it shuts off. It literally just remote starts it (to heat or cool it down) and will kill the engine once you open the door or shuts off after 10 minutes of running. It can not be changed either by the dealer or VagCom. :(
And VW offers an accessory kit to add it on too, but the car has to have fog lights already.

The new Tiguan & Atlas offer remote start from the factory now too, BUT the car keeps running once you open the door (finally!)....like any other manufacturer

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
Hmm......my buddy has had 2 Passat SEL's and neither of them had remote start. He had 2015 and now a 2017. Or maybe he doesn't realize he has remote start :D.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Hmm......my buddy has had 2 Passat SEL's and neither of them had remote start. He had 2015 and now a 2017. Or maybe he doesn't realize he has remote start :D.

Now that's weird if he doesn't know that. Both 2015 & 2017 Passats only had SEL Premium trims, which BOTH have/had the remote start from the factory
(2016, for example though, had SEL without it and then a better SEL premium with it)

Under Technical features you'll see "Remote Engine Start":
2015: https://www.emichvw.com/assets/misc/9890/PDF/MY2015_Retail_Order_Guide_US_passat.pdf
2017: https://www.emichvw.com/assets/misc/9890/PDF/2017_VW_Passat_order_guide.pdf

You lock the car, and then hit the start button from the keyfob twice

Here's a video of my 2017 SE w/Tech with factory remote start, me standing behind the car, for the Borla exhaust sound clip:

laurierayr

Car(s)
a motor car
My 2020 MK7.5 Golf R has the following ... Central Electrics 9 – Adaptation - ‘ZV allgemein’ – ‘Funk bei Klemme 15 ein’ --- change not active – active

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
well. that’s just odd. I never checked if the fuel door locked or not. why the hell would you need to get in there while running? *shug*
For those who like to leave their car running while they fill their fuel tanks. I've never seen a car catch on fire while doing that in 55 years.