GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Local VW won't install my steering wheel

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
It's super easy to do yourself, just saying. Just order a new bolt.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
It came with a new bolt. It's my only vehicle so was just wanting to play it safe.

It's no safer for a tech to do it. This is one of the easiest things to do. What do you think you might do wrong?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
It's no safer for a tech to do it. This is one of the easiest things to do. What do you think you might do wrong?
I think it’s the airbag part the scares people to. Sure I was nervous at first but really working on cars is the easy part It’s just nuts n bolts, figuring out an issue is the hard part. Lol

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I think it’s the airbag part the scares people to. Sure I was nervous at first but really working on cars is the easy part It’s just nuts n bolts, figuring out an issue is the hard part. Lol

Unplug car, turn wheel, use a screwdriver to undo airbag clips from the rear, pull airbag out, unplug. Done.

I don't get it. Do people think they can't figure out how to plug it back in correctly?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Unplug car, turn wheel, use a screwdriver to undo airbag clips from the rear, pull airbag out, unplug. Done.

I don't get it. Do people think they can't figure out how to plug it back in correctly?
Don’t gotta tell me, I did it already, lol.

I think the idea of just doing anything with the airbags worries folks. Now the idea of the wheel falling off, that’s silly as that would be like someone saying “I don't change a flat tire cause they wheel could fall off”

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Don’t gotta tell me, I did it already, lol.

I think the idea of just doing anything with the airbags worries folks. Now the idea of the wheel falling off, that’s silly as that would be like someone saying “I don't change a flat tire cause they wheel could fall off”
An airbag going off in someone's face while being installed is more worrisome than a wheel falling off as it's being installed.

halluxvalgas

Passed Driver's Ed
Playing it safe meaning if they broke something like wiring or trim then they would need to cover that/replace that. I installed my Euro lights, the wiring harness and coded them so it's not like I'm brand new.
Also when I do shit for the first time no matter how easy it is it tends to take five times as long as it would most people cause I'm over careful. Alot like that guy in the YouTube video someone mentioned. For better or for worse. In this case paying for convenience seemed best. I'm a giant worrier. Not much I can do about that lol.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Playing it safe meaning if they broke something like wiring or trim then they would need to cover that/replace that. I installed my Euro lights, the wiring harness and coded them so it's not like I'm brand new.
Also when I do shit for the first time no matter how easy it is it tends to take five times as long as it would most people cause I'm over careful. Alot like that guy in the YouTube video someone mentioned. For better or for worse. In this case paying for convenience seemed best. I'm a giant worrier. Not much I can do about that lol.

You worry about unplugging and plugging in a couple wires after installing headlights? That doesn't seem rational to me, but it's your car and money. Do what makes you happy.

halluxvalgas

Passed Driver's Ed
You worry about unplugging and plugging in a couple wires after installing headlights? That doesn't seem rational to me, but it's your car and money. Do what makes you happy.
It was tail lights and it was nerve racking as hell for me. My OCD was on full tilt that day. I spent the next day reinstalling/adjusting the tails so they were perfectly lined up. Just like the guy in the YouTube video I also didn't get a red stripe in the center of my steering wheel cause if it was "off" a little it would distract me and annoy me to the point where I know every time I got in the car that would be the first thing I would think about. I only did it myself cause I knew it would cost way more than I was willing to spend to have someone else do it. For a couple hundred bucks to get it done by a professional that will offer a warranty on the work seems better for me. I'd rather pay for peace of mind. I think most people with OCD will understand. And I agree, for the average person it is the opposite of rational. But that's OCD in a nutshell. Different levels for everyone.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I think you overestimate the skill of the average mechanic at the dealer. Lol.

I'm lucky to have a good indy shop local that does nothing but VAG.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
I mean, a shop local to me that had done a ton of work for my family (dad brother and myself) just fucked up 2 basic installs on my brothers b8 s4. He has a leaving slave cylinder and a stripped wiper transmission. This is a 5 star shop that has always done great work. He hasn't heard back from them about fixing it.

halluxvalgas

Passed Driver's Ed
I mean, a shop local to me that had done a ton of work for my family (dad brother and myself) just fucked up 2 basic installs on my brothers b8 s4. He has a leaving slave cylinder and a stripped wiper transmission. This is a 5 star shop that has always done great work. He hasn't heard back from them about fixing it.
I'd imagine a five star shop would want to avoid a lawsuit assuming it was obvious they screwed up. Especially to a regular customer that had dropped a bunch of money there in the past. To be fair I have no idea what that work entails on what he was having done.