GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Living in Canada. *Canadians chime in!*

ewgrosschris

Ready to race!
So I'm thinking about making a switch to another country, Canada has pop'd up on this list. Can someone chime in on the difference to living in the US? Are Cars relatively the same price?

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
Do you have a job and citizenship lined up?

Deaks2

Ready to race!
Cars are generally pricier up here. I don't think an American can ever adjust to our tax rates :p

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
I jut spent a week in Whistler. Shopping at a grocery store NOT in Whistler Village 2AA batteries = $6, box of cereal =$8, an 18 of Budweiser = $54!!!

I don't know what kinda pricin the rest of the country has but Whistler/Vancouver has an insane cost of living.

I think we (US) should trade them (Canadia) Whistler for the other half of that stupid waterfall in NY.

But anyway.... It was a very nice place, scenic, outdoors friendly, TONS of cyclists despite being February, big cities and middle of nowhere, the best skiing in North America, people were overly friendly, to the point where as a Chicagoan it made me nervous, like people aren't this nice what are they planning I wish I had my gun nervous lol. Oh and supposedly handguns aren't aloud in Canadia?!

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
Whistler is excessively high due to the location and tourists. Not at all a representation of the rest of the country. I've worked in Vancouver (and visit a couple times per year), Toronto and Winnipeg. I find the cost of goods comparable to a larger US city like San Francisco or NYC. The exception would be for dairy products as the tariffs are exceptionally high.

1badChalupa

Passed Driver's Ed
Are Cars relatively the same price?

A GTI starts at $29,375. 29,375.00 CAD = 29,454.49 USD, so no. From that, it appears that cars in the US cost 81% of what they do in Canada (US base cost/canadian base cost in equivalent USD).

Why would you want to live in another country? just curious.

Last edited:

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
Cars are much more expensive in Canada.

A base model GTI starts at 29, about 5 thousand more than in the U.S

But you get more content for that starting price such as HIDs, Auto Climate, Touchscreen HU, MFSW etc....

O-III

Ready to race!
Having lived and worked in both countries, I prefer my home and native land. A recent study showed we don't necessarily pay more in overall combined taxes, but I do question this when you include consumption taxes (HST). However, we do have health care and generally safer cities. It all depends on your wants/needs and where in Canada you are planning to live. It might be good to ask specific questions we can then answer for you.

Deaks2

Ready to race!
Just don't move to Ottawa :p

andy_uranium

Go Kart Champion
I work in the USA and live in Canada. I am Canadian, born in Montreal, grew up in southwestern Ontario, lived in Toronto (downtown) for a few years before moving to Windsor, which is right across the river from Detroit. I have been working in the states for almost 7 years. I guess I would say Canada is a great country, I love it, but it is very big and things vary greatly, from climate, cost of living, language, general culture, etc. We pay more for just about everything than Americans, sometimes it is justified, sometimes not, but I would say that we probably pay less for essentials, housing, food etc, than most first world countries. If you have a family and are just starting out Canada has a lot to offer, good schools, good healthcare, good opportunities for those looking to work. Again, I guess what I would do is find out if your company as openings in Canada, and find out where...then look into that city and province. Toronto for example is Canada's most diverse city but it is big and expensive, and not for everyone.

CaptObvious75

Ready to race!
Canada is a great place... free health care! But income tax blows and gas, fuel and just about everything else is more expensive here

JDM713

Go Kart Champion
I work in the USA and live in Canada. I am Canadian, born in Montreal, grew up in southwestern Ontario, lived in Toronto (downtown) for a few years before moving to Windsor, which is right across the river from Detroit. I have been working in the states for almost 7 years. I guess I would say Canada is a great country, I love it, but it is very big and things vary greatly, from climate, cost of living, language, general culture, etc. We pay more for just about everything than Americans, sometimes it is justified, sometimes not, but I would say that we probably pay less for essentials, housing, food etc, than most first world countries. If you have a family and are just starting out Canada has a lot to offer, good schools, good healthcare, good opportunities for those looking to work. Again, I guess what I would do is find out if your company as openings in Canada, and find out where...then look into that city and province. Toronto for example is Canada's most diverse city but it is big and expensive, and not for everyone.

:thumbup:

I was born in Canada and lived there until I was 8 before coming to the U.S., where I've been ever since. Canada is great and I love going back to visit family. However at this point, I'm in love with California and plan on staying here if I can get licensed under the CA Bar.