GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LIVE from Paris Show: Debut of 2013 GTI and Golf [Photos]

Eswin17

Ready to race!
Can someone visualize this for me? Dont get it. :confused:

??

It is very common, many car models already do this.

The turn signal will be either your left or right brake light blinking...instead of a dedicated "yellow" turn signal bulb blinking. Think Mustang, without the sequential blink stuff happening.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
??

It is very common, many car models already do this.

The turn signal will be either your left or right brake light blinking...instead of a dedicated "yellow" turn signal bulb blinking. Think Mustang, without the sequential blink stuff happening.

Yup. Seeing as most of their lineup is moving towards LED strips, this might be the case.

Belix

Passed Driver's Ed
i've not seen any of the VAG group with combined brake light indicators. A number of cars have the indicator LEDS in the brake light, but they glow amber, not red.

Thermallator

meh

First - OP - thank you for providing these excellent photos.

I have reviewed the MK7 phots before I pulled the trigger ... and could have waited a year - but after seeing the MK7 - I traded my 4 month old MK6 6 speed for another MK6 DSG 2 weeks ago(cause I wanted DSG after 30 years of shifting).

Here are my reasons for not waiting:

1. I owned a MK1 - and the MK7 looks as flat as the MK1. One of the best features of the Mk6 are the flying butresses - shaved on the 7. I did not want to be back in my university days driving a MK1 - which the MK7 reminds me of.
2. The hood looks like the rest of the brand - bland and BMW-ish.
3. The car took on many angles and lost its almost Pininfarina styling. It's cold and lost some of it's soul.
4. The bumper and grill look almost regular sedan-like - muted and shalower compared to MK6. MK6 is more GT - more passionate, more race ready.
5. The crease in the hatch is - too executive
6. Rims suck the big one
7. Pin stripe in lights - barf
8. Rear valance - ugh

It's as if they looked at MK6 and figured a way to tune it back a notch. Yes the styling is fresh and great looking - it's just not an evolution in the right path IMHO. The only reddeeming items are the front lamps.

The car looks great on it's own merits. I do LOVE the reduced weight and more power. I would be surprised if we get ALL the trimmings in the USA, and IF we do, count on the extras to break the 30K barrier very quickly.

Despite the fresh interior and the technological improvements (WHICH ARE GREAT!) the car seems more corporate, more Korean, less GERMAN. Can't quite put my finger on it ... the chemistry is just not there for me .. not yet anyways. FIRST impressions are always the correct ones .. so I'm told.

The bottom line for me is that if I was a plain Golf buyer - I'd most likely wait and get MK7. In its BASE GOLF trim, the MK7 outshines the MK6 because THEN, the weight reduction, interior room and finish, fuel consumption and techno upgrades outweigh any styling diatribe. Furthermore, the base MK7 golf gets some of the MK6 GTI goodies, so it makes perfect sense. HOWEVER, and that's a big one, the MK7 GTI's styling cues are lost in the translation as a sports car - and what we end up having then is what looks like a Golf commuter with a bit of plastic glued on it to make it look-go-fast. The techno/power edge does not make up for it IMHO.

-TH

Last edited:

Eswin17

Ready to race!

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI

I have reviewed the MK7 phots before I pulled the trigger ... and could have waited a year - but after seeing the MK7 - I traded my 4 month old MK6 6 speed for another MK6 DSG 2 weeks ago(cause I wanted DSG after 30 years of shifting).

1. I owned a MK1 - and the MK7 looks as flat as the MK1. One of the best features of the Mk6 are the flying butresses - shaved on the 7. I did not want to be back in my university days driving a MK1 - which the MK7 reminds me of.
3. The car took on many angles and lost its almost Pininfarina styling. It's cold and lost some of it's soul.
4. The bumper and grill look almost regular sedan-like - muted and shalower compared to MK6. MK6 is more GT - more passionate, more race ready.
6. Rims suck the big one
8. Rear valance - ugh

It's as if they looked at MK6 and figured a way to tune it back a notch. Yes the styling is fresh and great looking - it's just not an evolution in the right path IMHO. The only reddeeming items are the front lamps.

The car looks great on it's own merits. I do LOVE the reduced weight and more power. I would be surprised if we get ALL the trimmings in the USA, and IF we do, count on the extras to break the 30K barrier very quickly.

Despite the fresh interior and the technological improvements (WHICH ARE GREAT!) the car seems more corporate, more Korean, less GERMAN. Can't quite put my finger on it ... the chemistry is just not there for me .. not yet anyways. FIRST impressions are always the correct ones .. so I'm told.

The bottom line for me is that if I was a plain Golf buyer - I'd most likely wait and get MK7. In its BASE GOLF trim, the MK7 outshines the MK6 because THEN, the weight reduction, interior room and finish, fuel consumption and techno upgrades outweigh any styling diatribe. Furthermore, the base MK7 golf gets some of the MK6 GTI goodies, so it makes perfect sense. HOWEVER, and that's a big one, the MK7 GTI's styling cues are lost in the translation as a sports car - and what we end up having then is what looks like a Golf commuter with a bit of plastic glued on it to make it look-go-fast. The techno/power edge does not make up for it IMHO.

-TH

Interesting. Very nice points you've made.

swfloridamk6

Go Kart Champion

6. Rims suck the big one
8. Rear valance - ugh

-TH

Interesting. I think I can mod my way around the negatives. I do agree on the hood. The MK6 hood lines are much sexier.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Need to see the car in the flesh.
I'm curious to see if it actually appears lower.

I'd also like to see side by side comparison shots.
Left, right, front, rear...

I do miss the rear fender line on the Mk6.
It's one of the design features that I was immediately drawn to.

I will say that in the image that features the lineage of the Golf, that the front view of the 7 looks quite a bit more agressive than the 6 - at least in Golf vs GTI form.

.:R32AtuB.

vw pride never stops baby
I honestly think this is the most sexy GTI I've EVER seen. i love the blue one. i would get that in the cloth interior and call it a day with the 6MT

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I would love to see CSG, Black, and UG

Eswin17

Ready to race!
i've not seen any of the VAG group with combined brake light indicators. A number of cars have the indicator LEDS in the brake light, but they glow amber, not red.

Current gen Audi A4 has this...brake lights blink to serve as turn signals. Just saw it on my way home.

DAS_STIG

Banned
Current gen Audi A4 has this...brake lights blink to serve as turn signals. Just saw it on my way home.
MKV GTI/Rabbit do it. sorta... half of it blinks to act as turn signal.

Low-Cod-9662

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'12 CSG 4dr GTI
is that a bigger touchscreen I see?

What new bells and whistles do we get? Mazda's been throwing in blind spot assistance into all their cars now, would like to see VW compete well in this.