GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LIVE from Paris Show: Debut of 2013 GTI and Golf [Photos]

DAS_STIG

Banned
Yes, I am speculating pricing for the Mk7 Golf R at close to $40K for a fully loaded car. I doubt very much pricing will be lower than the Mk6 R. They sold every one they shipped and stopped taking orders a couple months ago. It will be a market-demand equation; not a volume sales proposition.

sorry, but what? here's 1000+ still on the market, and that's only the ones actually listed on cars.com

http://www.cars.com/for-sale/search...&zc=60622&enableSeo=1&searchSource=TRAIL_HEAD

perhaps we should take this discussion into the golf r thread and not drive this thread off the GTI picture topic lol.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
perhaps we should take this discussion into the golf r thread and not drive this thread off the GTI picture topic lol.

I think that would be a better idea. GTIis the only one that has been officially announced

Mk6Bender

Passed Driver's Ed
I would not say the MK6 R has been THAT successful. Not a failure, but they are not moving that fast. My buddy sells VWs andbthebR inventory has been slower to move. Still two on the lot for almost 3 months now.

Yeah there are two on the lot of a VERY active dealership near my house. One going on 6 weeks the other on 8-10. Not a surprise. This happened with the R32s as well.

They would have to be out of their minds to price them higher than the current R (and they are not).

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Yeah there are two on the lot of a VERY active dealership near my house. One going on 6 weeks the other on 8-10. Not a surprise. This happened with the R32s as well.

They would have to be out of their minds to price them higher than the current R (and they are not).

I dont think it would sell at any point higher, TBH. I've seen a lot of people try and justify the price point already....

krische

vdubber in training
I dont think it would sell at any point higher, TBH. I've seen a lot of people try and justify the price point already....

Well if it it will share the same drive train as the S3, it might be a little easier for people to justify the cost. 230hp GTI vs 300hp R is it bit more of a gap than today. But that assumes VW will sell the R with the same drivetrain/horsepower as the S3 (I wouldn't be surprised if they detune it to 275-280hp).

But even if the R is 300hp, I still think it will be a niche car. People see that $35k price tag and think it should either be as fancy as a BMW or as powerful as an STI/EVO.

marchone

sorry, but what? here's 1000+ still on the market, and that's only the ones actually listed on cars.com

I stand corrected. Good to know. Must have reading the wrong Golf R forums. :D

marchone

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I can't find one in almost 1300 Golf Rs that have a sunroof and nav. A lot are in the $37K and $38K range, too. No wonder they're sitting on the lots.

DAS_STIG

Banned

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI

Look at that large fitting running from the block to the turbo inlet. PCV Connection? Awfully large. Possibly coolant.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
are you talking about the braided one?

Yes. Just speculating.....

Read the S3 article that mentioned an intergrated manifold that was doused in coolant flow. Hope thats not the case for us. Turboswaps will suck if we cant have a separate manifold.

DAS_STIG

Banned
Yes. Just speculating.....

Read the S3 article that mentioned an intergrated manifold that was doused in coolant flow. Hope thats not the case for us. Turboswaps will suck if we cant have a separate manifold.

pretty sure that's the standard across the board. the manifold is now integrated into the head swimming in coolant. i speculated that might make swaps easier, to a point. OEM swap like k03->k04 would just require the turbo... but much past that you may run into problems.