GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turbo

Gomze

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf 7 gti performan
hi friends, I would like your opinion because I am thinking of replacing my first revision mk7 gti turbo, is20 vs is38 ?

Last edited:

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Hi,
If you are not looking to gain more power and just want reliability, I would buy a new Is20 and be done with it.
Honestly if your turbo is not giving you any sign of weariness I would let it be.
In any case if I were in your situation I would go for an Is38 new with a life time warranty for roughly $1000.
It looks like you have the supporting mods already…

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
He’s far from FCP.

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
You are right, I didn’t notice he’s from France.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
hi friends, I would like your opinion because I am thinking of replacing my 06k145702Q first revision mk7 gti turbo, because it is starting to have quite a few kilometers and I am afraid it will explode
I saw that littco was making a turbo hybrid Is20 l340x
does anyone know turbo? opinions ? more reliable than the original?
I'm not especially looking for high performance my car is on a JB4 map 6 soft +5 psi my mods (downpipe 200 cell + forge intercooler)
I await your feedback on littco good day
I had a littco turbo i ran for a few years up until i switched to a vortex xl. While it ran fine when i sold it off, it was alot slower to spool than vortex or even the vortex xl. Mine was littco L470 (they dont make it anymore which is probably basically the same thing as the L480). I would imagine you wouldn't have slow spool issues on the l340x though.

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
Have you checked if it has any shaft play? If you want to run the Littco on E85 you would need a custom tune anyway. You could get a used newer is38 for a decent price, I know a guy on the Swedish MQB group has tried to sell his for under 500 Euros for months.

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
hi chris, i checked no play on the turbo shaft
can we manage the is38 on jb4?
Hello Gomze, yes you can run a is38 with JB4 only but limited by fueling control and you will not be able to run very much Ethanol if you also want to run a decent boost add.

I think there are some french tuners that has flexfuel maps for is38 GTIs.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
just depends on your power goals, me personally I have a hard committing X amount of dollars for 50hp gain, when I add a little more $ and have a more worthwhile gain.

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie