GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Littco IS38X install - option

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
Thought I’d share some pictures and start a thread on this.

Essentially, it’s an IS38 turbo upgrade with a few things addressed inside the turbo to make it more reliable. Littco calls it the IS38X.

- bigger thrust bearing
- VSR balanced
- Insert removed

According to Dan, it should flow a little better up top.

Look forward to install it! I’ll update this thread with more feedback once installed.
Big thanks to Dan! The littleturbocompany!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pieguy

Ready to race!
He discuss whp expectations? Around 400whp around e30 maybe?

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
I'm assuming you have to send Dan an IS38 as a donor, to start the process?

You’d have to ask him. I think preferable.

I unfortunately did not have an IS38 prior to this.

gti9251

Passed Driver's Ed
This is a great option for people considering IS38. What was the total price to get it over to you (in CDN)?

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
He discuss whp expectations? Around 400whp around e30 maybe?

Wasn’t discussed. With E30 it might be possible.

I’m aiming 370-380 whp range on 94 oct.
the main goal is pushing it with piece of mind and reliability!

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Looking forward to your results. Seems like a good DD option for those of us who don't want to hunt for e85 or mess with the fueling system, but worry about IS38 reliability. Love to see pricing as well. Do they have a product page anywhere?

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
Looking forward to your results. Seems like a good DD option for those of us who don't want to hunt for e85 or mess with the fueling system, but worry about IS38 reliability. Love to see pricing as well. Do they have a product page anywhere?
Exactly - it's a very good DD option (with pump gas) while providing more reliability!

Pricing was around [FONT=&quot]€[/FONT]950 + shipping.

https://www.facebook.com/thelittleturbocompany/

HuangMoney

Go Kart Newbie
Definitely a nice reliable option. For that money I would've went with an IHX475 or an EQT Vortex, but its nice to see someone isn't going crazy hahaha

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
Definitely a nice reliable option. For that money I would've went with an IHX475 or an EQT Vortex, but its nice to see someone isn't going crazy hahaha

While both options are awesome! No need for those turbos (my opinion). In the end, it’s a daily driver. The FWD platform limits it too...

IMO - IS38 swap on the GTI is just what it needs. Moves the power delivery a little more up top while providing very similar spool.

littco

Ready to race!
Following on from what Marc has put.

The IS38x is really a direct replacement for the IS38 turbo. We clip the turbine on these to free up top end power and assist in lowering egts.

As an example we have fitted a number of these units to cars with APR stge2 maps, which where running around 400bhp before and now with the IS38x and no changes they are making around 415bhp. This is solely made up from some better timing ie 1-2 degrees extra as a result of the lower egts etc. Spool is only very very slightly increased maybe 100-200rpm as a result of the clipping.

The 3 main selling points of these units
1) They do not have the insert found in the OE covers
2) They are precisely balanced
3) They employ the same upgraded thrust bearings used in all our turbos which have been tested to over 2.6bar.

I fully appreciate for an extra £300 you can run the L450 which will make more power but it's the associated costs which go with a hybrid not just the cost of the hybrid. We are starting to sell a lot more of these units as they offer the reliability for less than the cost of the OE unit and I am safe to say that these are proven to be better than the originals despite being aftermarket.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
I would say 360-370 whp on pump gas is a realistic expectation if you have supporting mods.

Like marc and dan from littco have said.

This is a good reliable option that gives the GTI great power without having to upgrade fuel pumps.

It won't break any records, but it should put a smile on your face with piece of mind that it will be more reliable than stock turbos.

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
It won't break any records, but it should put a smile on your face with piece of mind that it will be more reliable than stock turbos.

Absolutely! I still feel the IS38 is the best daily driver turbo out there. Dan has improved on the weak points of the IS38 giving people a reliable alternative to rolling the dice on a OEM unit.

Jedimk7

Drag Race Newbie
This sounds like an awesome upgrade, wish I could get it but don't want to go through the hassle of smogging the car in California when the time comes....[emoji22]

Sent from my Gavin Belson black box signature edition

Hoon

Autocross Champion
As far as reliable, real world pump gas power, I think this is a great option.

The bang for the buck is even better when you consider the supporting mods and custom tuning requirements of larger turbos do not apply.

This sounds like an awesome upgrade, wish I could get it but don't want to go through the hassle of smogging the car in California when the time comes....[emoji22]

Sent from my Gavin Belson black box signature edition

Its no more hassle than a stage 2 car.