GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

List of Mod Friendly dealers

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Talked to the Service rep. at Openroad VW, in Burnaby about mods and warranty work. Talked to him "off the record", as I was not bringing a car to him for work. He seems pretty open and willing to work with you and your car. He also drives a 2017 Golf R, as does one of the mechanics in the shop.

If I ever need warranty work, I will try them out.......hopefully Openroad is accomodating?

Thanks nype, will keep Cowell in mind if Openroad is an issue.

What stage tune are you?

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
I know in Virginia Beach, VA Checkered Flag VW is friendly. But that could be because I'm good friends with the head mechanic there.

In Charlottesville, Flow VW seems to be mod friendly but I'm still feeling them out.

Funtuzzi

Passed Driver's Ed
What stage tune are you?

Hey Fed,

I'm still stock for now. I just bought my car a month ago, and still breaking it in. I'm going to purchase the JB4 in the spring time, and would eventually like to install a downpipe.

I was just feeling out my dealer on how he feels about the downpipe, as I want to keep my warranty. Some dealers I talked to immediately told me warranty will be denied if DP installed. I asked one dealer if I install a DP, and have an engine misfire due to a bad ignition coil, or a water pump starts leaking.....would that cause any issues? Service manager told me warranty will be denied because engine is modified. I argued my point that regardless of downpipe, a stock engine can have a misfire or water pump leak. He would not budge......so I said thank you, and now know to never bring my car to that dealer for any work. That is just being greedy.

It's a shame because that dealer is only 5 minutes from my house. Because of that I bought my car at a different dealer, that seems to have a better attitude, and willing to help the customer. You don't want to support your customers, I'll take my business elsewhere!

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I've got one to add to Maryland. While they don't sell tunes, Fitzgerald auto mall in Annapolis is definitely tune friendly.

Talked to the Service rep. at Openroad VW, in Burnaby about mods and warranty work. Talked to him "off the record", as I was not bringing a car to him for work. He seems pretty open and willing to work with you and your car. He also drives a 2017 Golf R, as does one of the mechanics in the shop..

Great experience with Ourisman VW in Waldorf, MD.

I know in Virginia Beach, VA Checkered Flag VW is friendly. But that could be because I'm good friends with the head mechanic there.

In Charlottesville, Flow VW seems to be mod friendly but I'm still feeling them out.

I have updated the list and thank you.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I was just feeling out my dealer on how he feels about the downpipe, as I want to keep my warranty. Some dealers I talked to immediately told me warranty will be denied if DP installed. I asked one dealer if I install a DP, and have an engine misfire due to a bad ignition coil, or a water pump starts leaking.....would that cause any issues? Service manager told me warranty will be denied because engine is modified. I argued my point that regardless of downpipe, a stock engine can have a misfire or water pump leak. He would not budge......so I said thank you, and now know to never bring my car to that dealer for any work. That is just being greedy.

I am not sure if dealer will have a say with hardware changes like that. I had a similar discussion with my service adviser regarding DP sometime last year and he didn have any issues about it as this is not an ECU flash which might be picked up by VW diagnostic tool. I think its time to move on to the next dealer even though he is closer to you.

I did not buy my car from the dealer who takes care of my service and i am pretty happy about it. I have been working with my dealer for more than a year and i can finally add them to the list, Vyletel VW in Sterling Heights (Jim is my service adviser).

SailorJack

Great experience with Ourisman VW in Waldorf, MD.

Took my car in for suction pump recall and warranty for seat seams opening up. I unplugged my JB4 from OBD2 and tucked that wire away but otherwise left it installed.

I also have an intake, DP, mounts and springs. They inspected the car and noted that I needed an alignment, but didn't bother to mention that I had anything on there. I even got a CEL for my DP while they had the car and they didn't mention it. I think they knew what's up.

I wouldn't take my car in like that if I was getting warranty work for something powertrain, but they didn't make a note or TD1 me when I came in for unrelated stuff.

Be careful with Ourisman in Waldforf. I bought my '17 GTI from them in Nov. and while they guaranteed the front pucks were removed and the PDI was completed, the car still had 3 pucks in each front strut. When I politely confronted them the manager told me I should have verified with a technician before I drove off the lot. They took no responsibility for not doing their job. I will not be taking my GTI there for any work in the future to include maintenance and instead will make the trip to Annapolis.

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
Be careful with Ourisman in Waldforf. I bought my '17 GTI from them in Nov. and while they guaranteed the front pucks were removed and the PDI was completed, the car still had 3 pucks in each front strut. When I politely confronted them the manager told me I should have verified with a technician before I drove off the lot. They took no responsibility for not doing their job. I will not be taking my GTI there for any work in the future to include maintenance and instead will make the trip to Annapolis.
Pucking hell...can't believe this ship is still happening!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold

I have added your post number in the initial list so that people are aware.

SRQ_MK6

Ready to race!

I've heard bad stories like this coming out of this dealership.... There is a VW dealer in Pasadena that I know sells APR and were super friendly when I brought it there for service. It may be closer than Annapolis depending on where you're coming from.

SailorJack

I'm in Calvert Co. so I think Annapolis will be a little closer. I plan on doing nearly all routine maintenance myself with exception to my free oil change at 10K. Any warranty related issues that may pop up (hopefully not) I'll have to look around.