GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Lined cubby with felt

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
Although I love having it anytime I put hard objects in the drivers side cubby it rattles. So I decided to line it with felt.

Here is how it turned out, not professional by any means but will do the trick.

Also wrote up a quick guide for it here: https://www.carworklog.com/2018/06/24/guide-felt-lined-drivers-side-cubby/

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
Looks good!

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Nice work. Had you considered "flocking" it? Flocking is the process of adhering felt fibers to the surface, like the glovebox in the pre-2016 MK7s.

I'm actually considering flocking my left side compartment, because I hate the rattling of things inside it.

For the inside of the door plastic pockets, I lined them with 1/6" thick self-adhesive foam sheets.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Might try this with the sunglass compartment.

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
Nice work. Had you considered "flocking" it? Flocking is the process of adhering felt fibers to the surface, like the glovebox in the pre-2016 MK7s.

I'm actually considering flocking my left side compartment, because I hate the rattling of things inside it.

For the inside of the door plastic pockets, I lined them with 1/6" thick self-adhesive foam sheets.

I did consider flocking but wasn't sure it would be thick enough to stop rattling. If anyone does try it let us know because it surely would look cleaner than what I did.

Hockey

Ready to race!
I put change in that thing for my morning coffee. Every time I turn a corner I'm sure you could imagine the sound it makes. I might have to do this one

GTI-Jay

Ready to race!
what about a thin rubber adhesive sheet rather than felt? ATM i use a simple microfiber. I always put my keys in there. (kessy) cos i hate having keys digging into my thighs when seated.

robmarktoo

Ready to race!
Interestingly I never seem to hear anything rattling down there even though I sometimes put coins in it. I also use it to hold tissues and napkins sometimes. The sunglasses holder does sometimes rattle with glasses but what really bothers me is that the "soft rubber" in there scratches lenses.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
rob- I noticed too on my Versace Aviators I had that the lens would get stuck to the soft rubber and smear. I switched to a smaller pair (some ATTCL brand cheapo on Amazon) and insert the lens perpendicular to the housing. No more smears on the lens!

joesid

Go Kart Newbie
I looked on Amazon with the intention to try flocking, but it seems to be about $50 in materials? :-(

I’ll just stick to wrapping my items in swifter pads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
I looked on Amazon with the intention to try flocking, but it seems to be about $50 in materials? :-(

I’ll just stick to wrapping my items in swifter pads.

You can get the fibers for $5 if you look around online, or sometimes in craft stores. I have a pile of black fibers. I never use the adhesive they provide in the kits, it's garbage and usually water soluble, and the flocking can scrub off. I get creative and paint the surface to be flocked in a thin layer of slow-setting epoxy, and that usually results in a very durable flocked finish (you'll never find THAT in any flocking DIY). Not quite as nice as OEM but the closest you can get to it. I might try to find a spare compartment on eBay and test it. It's one of those things where you only get one shot.