GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Limited slip differential

RSLICK

Ready to race!
Car(s)
7.5 Autobahn DSG
Howdy, so I have a 2018 7.5 with 12000 miles. On the first year service warranty they discovered an oil leak coming from the right output seal. Volkswagen Canada approved the repair, and it took a day. On the second year service warranty, they discovered the same problem. Volkswagen Canada approved the repair, and it took a day. Now this is the third year service, and they discovered the same problem again. Every time there was no oil dripping on the garage floor. Any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
My only thought is if it was leaking bad enough to replace it twice and it's still leaking where is the fluid going since you don't see any evidence of it on the garage floor?

RSLICK

Ready to race!
Car(s)
7.5 Autobahn DSG
Hi,

By the number of responses it appears that this is an uncommon problem. I don't know the mechanics of the LSD, but looking at diagrams it does appear complex. Just to review, I have taken in the car three times for the annual service, and get the same problem - the output seal is leaking. It takes most of the day to make this repair. Do you think that it is a weakness in the gasket? Or, given that this is somewhat complex, the technicians are incompetent. Or, maybe a design failure. Given that I seem to be the only one with this problem I wouldn't think that it is a design defect. That leaves a faulty gasket, or incompetent technicians. I hope someone can shed some light on this problem, as I like the car (even with all the rattles), but I can't afford to pay $800/900 on a regular basis for continuing repair, and will have to unload it somehow.

Last edited:

Visceral

Go Kart Newbie
Not sure if Canada has laws that apply but here in the States the Lemon Law may apply. I would look at your options as you are spot-on, the car will be out of warranty soon and this issue will be yours to pay for down the road. Raise some hell, rattle the cage and see what comes of it.

RSLICK

Ready to race!
Car(s)
7.5 Autobahn DSG
So, I know everyone is sitting on the edge of their seats waiting to find out what happened. Well, the output seal was breaking down because the shaft that it travels over was very rough. This shaft had to be removed and polished, thus reducing the wear on the output seal when it travels. At least, that is the story anyway. The dealership does seem genuine in trying to solve the problem. I think there may be a technical bulletin on this. In any case, I will take it back in a couple of months to see if it is still leaking. Now, to deal with my rattles.

rallymaniac555

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2020 GTI S MT
subscribed since my 2020 MK7.5 is at the dealer with the same problem now at the 15k mile service interval. I dropped off the car for the free oil change and recall service just to be told that they discovered the LSD seal leak and will be fixing it under warranty as well. I'd love to know if it's more common and if i need to watch out for this in the coming years just like the OP.
This 2nd GTI isn't becoming any better for me :( the MK7 that i sold last year did have some serious problems but they didn't start until well after the powertrain warranty.